It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 00:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 23:39 
Site Admin

Daily Mail here
Jenny Hope Daily Mail wrote:
Why cycling to work is one of the biggest causes of heart attacks
By Jenny Hope Last updated at 9:10 AM on 24th February 2011

Heartstopping experience? Cycling in heavy traffic is one of the biggest triggers of heart attacks
As any city cyclist will know, riding your bike in heavy traffic can be, metaphorically speaking, a heartstopping experience.
But now research has found that it is literally one of the biggest triggers of heart attacks.
In a new sliding scale of everyday risks that prove the ‘final straw’ in bringing on a heart attack, spending time in traffic – as a driver, cyclist or commuter – tops the list because of factors including stress and exposure to pollution.
But of these, cyclists are in greatest danger because they are more heavily exposed to pollution and are subjecting themselves to another major heart attack trigger, exercise.

The study, which analysed 36 pieces of research, is the first time the ‘final straw’ risk factors for triggering heart attacks – rather than underlying causes of heart disease – have been quantified.

While some factors overlap, they were ranked by scientists in The Lancet medical journal online, after the proportion of total heart attacks caused by different triggers was calculated.
Traffic exposure was blamed for 7.4 per cent of heart attacks, followed by physical exertion with 6.2 per cent.
Overall air pollution triggered between 5 per cent and 7 per cent of heart attacks, while drinking alcohol or coffee accounted for 5 per cent.
Other risk factors included negative emotions (3.9 per cent), anger (3.1 per cent), eating a heavy meal (2.7 per cent), positive emotions (2.4 per cent) and sexual activity (2.2 per cent). Cocaine was to blame for 0.9 per cent of heart attacks, but this was because of limited exposure to the drug among the population.

On an individual basis, taking cocaine was shown to raise a person’s risk of having a heart attack 23-fold, according to the study, led by Dr Tim Nawrot, from Hasselt University in Belgium.
In comparison, air pollution led to a 5 per cent extra risk, but since far more people are exposed to traffic fumes and factory emissions than cocaine, air quality is a far more important population-wide threat.

Professor David Spiegelhalter, a risk expert from Cambridge University, said it was difficult to ‘disentangle’ the risk factors in the study for certain situations, such as driving or cycling to work in heavy traffic.
‘A lot of other factors are contributing to the overall risk; air pollution, stress, physical exertion, even anger which is another well-known trigger for a heart attack. It’s a complex mix,’ he added.

Judy O’Sullivan, senior cardiac nurse at the British Heart Foundation, said the benefits of exercising outdoors outweighed the risks from air pollution for most individuals, and urged people not to be put off running, walking or cycling in towns and cities.

Dr Tim Chico, honorary consultant cardiologist at the University of Sheffield, said: ‘We know a lot about why people suffer heart attacks (for example smoking, high cholesterol, obesity) but not much about why they occur on a particular day and time.’
But he stressed: ‘The foundations of heart disease are laid down over many years.

‘If someone wants to avoid a heart attack they should focus on not smoking, exercising, eating a healthy diet and maintaining their ideal weight.’
If heavy traffic can be improved with (far) better consideration, courtesy awareness and anticipation of course. Dealing with this will help and help everyone in all areas of their road use too. :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:04 
User

I find cycling relaxes my mind, while physically stretching my body.
I'm not sure if I am more at risk or less as a result of reading these statistics!

However, yesterday as I rode into work, I stopped to take this picture....

I feel better now just looking at the picture! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:07 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
I find cycling relaxes my mind, while physically stretching my body.
I'm not sure if I am more at risk or less as a result of reading these statistics!

However, yesterday as I rode into work, I stopped to take this picture....

Wonderful!

The Daily Mail article was quite an amazing interpretation of the original research. There are some truly creative minds working at the DM.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 13:05 
Supporter
Supporter

Ernest Marsh wrote:

And so do I. You can be proud of spreading a little joy around. :D
Where was it taken?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 14:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Surely the only purpose of reading the Waily is to find out what's due to kill you this week!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 14:16 

Wasn't it the Waily that would run alternate "Coffee causes cancer" and "Coffee prevents cancer" articles?

Maybe we should brace ourselves for a spate of "Cycling prevents heart disease" / "Cycling causes heart attacks" articles? :lol:

That bloke from Cambridge seemed to sum it up when he said (in effect) "it's not that simple"!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 16:37 
Life Member
Life Member

The Dm also once ran an article about how a certain ladies' fashion (something like a pashmina IIRC) was endangering the animal from which the wool came.

Then ten pages later an article showing off the latest examples of the same clothing item.

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 20:33 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
Ernest Marsh wrote:

And so do I. You can be proud of spreading a little joy around. :D
Where was it taken?

Sorry DCB, I missed your question nearly a year ago!!

It was taken HERE: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bannerigg+a591&hl=en&ll=54.380423,-2.896099&spn=0.001696,0.005284&hq=bannerigg+a591&radius=15000&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=54.380226,-2.896674&panoid=3oopaznhzgoaXyWo0wRCpA&cbp=12,125.98,,0,-6.4

My home is 1/2 mile away, slightly right of the trees, down the hill.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 21:43 
User

As a matter of interest, what camera did you use?? It handled shooting into the Sun quite well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 05:03 
User

Dusty wrote:
As a matter of interest, what camera did you use?? It handled shooting into the Sun quite well.

It is an AGFA DC-2030 - £54 from Tesco. I really ought to get another one in preparation for the inevitable time when this one gets run over or dropped!! :wink:

It has been discontinued, although they had one or two left on their ebay site... although they might only have it in pink by now! :lol:
You might even pay less by now.

12.0 megapixel, all the modes you could want, a decent video function - and the "engine" is actually a Sony item!
There is a identical model which was available - badged as an Hewlett Packard camera... but I can't recall the model number.

This one was hand held - against my bedroom window...

Does reasonably good close ups...

and if you know how to trick the electronics in the right way, it will even photograph star constellations for you!

That was taken with the camera laid on it's back on the roof of my car, on my hat (to stop it sliding off), using the timer function to avoid shaking/moving the camera on release. I have Cassiopeia too!

In February last year I came off my blood pressure medication which I had been on since 2007 - mainly as a result of my cycling.
I have made few changes to my diet since then (2007) - I tend to eat or drink whatever I please, but always in moderation, and always as part of a varied diet. I have not lost weight (well except for a few pounds) but my weight is steadier - and I feel I SHOULD lose a little from around my middle, but work spoils my eating pattern! Too much eating in a hurry during the day.
I have porridge every morning, with a banana chopped into it, or a small teaspoon of honey, not too many fatty foods, very few eggs unless they are part of something else - and during the day I nibble on walnuts or pecans (whichever are cheaper!) rather than biscuits. I do eat biscuits - but usually only one a day.
I'm not keen on fish, so I take a cod liver oil capsule a day and at present I am off the cholesterol tablet I was on - waiting for the results of a blood test to see if my levels are acceptable or not.

Recently I have had a few rides in temperatures of -5.4°C then -6.2°C but strangely felt coldest on a -3.6°C!
At those temperatures, my biggest difficulty is gasping in lung fulls of really cold air, which chills my teeth, and my mouth got so cold I was drooling when I got home! :mrgreen:

In the real cold, all the usual effects from a ride are different - legs remain warm (they are doing all the work) but your chest and arms are warm but hands very cold, despite the effective gloves and clothing which has seen me through last winter!
Normally my arms and shoulders feel the cold from sweating - but I must sweat less in the severe cold, so they seem warmer! :scratchchin:

I'm not aware of any affect on my heart rate - but I guess it is working harder when cold, as the blood vessels near the skin close up a little?
Anyway, if I drop dead from a heart attack, I'll be sure to let you know! :whome:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 05:13 
User

Hey, I should have shown you THIS ONE...

With 12 megapixels, you can crop and enlarge more with out any loss of detail. This was hand held, on a café table in France.
I spilled a little hot chocolate onto a sugar cube, and the wasp could not get enough of it - and was prepared to defend his "find" from interlopers!
Anyone know the purpose of the three dots on the back of it's head?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 05:50 
User

Sample video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9tYZaGC_CY&feature=bf_prev&list=UUyl2YQULBgWuEFMnobYIdVw&lf=plcp`

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:15 
Site Admin

Cycling might also indicate the sheer numbers of people that simply cannot afford all other methods of transport and all the surrounding issues that go with them. It may also indicate that those people too are more stressed due to work or other lifestyle problems and issues.
It might also show that more motorists have had to resort to cycling as they are now banned due to totting up and wouldn't otherwise choose this transport mode, but feel forced into it.
It is a far too vague report to be of any merit without all the other confounding factors.

Perhaps too they were the percentage of people that were trying to get fitter because of other prior health issues ... much more likely IMHO. I'll see later if I can get a link to the original report...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:42 
User

I have a friend who was told to "improve" his life style as he was at risk - slightly overweight, over 40, raised cholesterol etc., so he started riding a bike to and from work in Kendal - not a particularly exacting ride.

He had a heart attack shortly after!
While some might link this to his cycling, it is more likely the damage was already done, and his problem was waiting so long to start cycling.

It is one of the reasons I try and encourage others to take up SOME sort of exercise... not necessarily cycling.
Too many friends and colleagues say to me "I wish I was as fit as you" not realising that until I started cycling, I was in the same boat as them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 15:34 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Anyone know the purpose of the three dots on the back of it's head?
Is it so blind people can tell what it is? :P

So how are things going up on Waltons Hill lately Ernest? Image

Mole wrote:
Maybe we should brace ourselves for a spate of "Cycling prevents heart disease" / "Cycling causes heart attacks" articles? :lol:
Maybe it's a bit like drink; a little is benificial for health but lots is detrimental :drink: Image

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 18:05 

Quote:
Big Tone on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:34 pm

Ernest Marsh wrote:Anyone know the purpose of the three dots on the back of it's head?

Is it so blind people can tell what it is? :P

Ho ho ho, bring back the caption comp and let's have more of Tone's wit...;-)
:clap: :clap: :clap: :hello:

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 18:08 

The dots are braille for "head end" and I think you just need to touch the sting to know that's the @@@@ end... :lol:

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 03:02 
Site Admin

Well one is the radio antenna, one is a radar detector to avoid any speed cameras and the third is GPS ! :lol: :wink:

But back on topic (nudge) the reason surely that people take (back) to cycling is that they are not fit and want to try something that they can do easily and build up gently ... So surely if more serious illnesses happen it is the prior condition.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 14:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I know it doesn’t make sense, given that the athletes with the largest hearts and arguably slowest heat beats are Tour de France cyclists, but I never find my fitness level goes up much with cycling. My best, lowest, resting heart rate was achieved when I was in a running club and did aerobics twice a week. (46bpm). So I’m not sure just how much value there is in cycling as a fitness regime as opposed to, let’s say, a brisk walk instead more away from the traffic.

So I think we are cycling to work because it’s quicker but the exercise doesn’t offset the stress of moving through horrible traffic = heart attack. Even when traffic is passing me properly the mere noise and worry of getting knocked off makes my heart pound. That’s my theory anyway.

I want to answer Ernest’s question pleeease, but it’s a topic drift? Image

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 17:15 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:
I know it doesn’t make sense, given that the athletes with the largest hearts and arguably slowest heat beats are Tour de France cyclists, but I never find my fitness level goes up much with cycling.

It would if you emulated them by doing several hundred miles a week at 20-25mph. The trouble with cycling as an exercise regime is that cycles are so damned efficient. You can fool yourself that, because you are going so fast, you are doing a lot more work than you really are.