Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 21:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Looking at a trip up north this year and any advice as to where to keep eyes peeled for relatives/descendants of Turpin on M6 bridges would be welcome ,if in fact they still prey on victims passing through the fair county .

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:45 
Site Admin

Keeping eyes peeled and paying great attention is always best practice for good road safety. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 19:03 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Keeping eyes peeled and paying great attention is always best practice for good road safety. :)

Never failed to spot one locally ,but then I know where locally they lurk. Like at the rear of bus shelters , something that someone not familiar with Warks SCP modus operandi wouldn't know to check for . My question was more asking if there were any spots on the M6 that let them hide on bridges etc , as there hasn't been many reports of Cumbria SCP action recently .
Not too bothered about Volvos, as I'm not going that mad, and take care round about the 30's junctions ,as these are favourites with the trafpols.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 23:00 

I've never seen one on the M6 OTHER than on a motorway bridge. I've never seen one South of J36 either. One of their favourites is on the bridge Southbound after Killington Lake services. I've never seen one at night. Haven't seen one in the day for quite a while now, come to that. I think they're currently yellow. I usually turn off at Junction 40 going North and at Junction 44, so I rarely travel the M6 between J40 and 44.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 23:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mole wrote:
I've never seen one on the M6 OTHER than on a motorway bridge. I've never seen one South of J36 either. One of their favourites is on the bridge Southbound after Killington Lake services. I've never seen one at night. Haven't seen one in the day for quite a while now, come to that. I think they're currently yellow. I usually turn off at Junction 40 going North and at Junction 44, so I rarely travel the M6 between J40 and 44.

Thanks , mate - that's the info I was looking for . As said, not looking to be doinf speeds likely to upset BIB, BUT possibly over herr capitains( him of U boat fame) limits.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 20:21 
User

They still often use the 4 "original" sites (which do have warning signs) between Jct 36 and Jct 40.

I've also seen them on the second bridge after Jct 41 heading Northbound (obscured by the first bridge) and on the one above the M6 after Jct 44 where they always used to sit when it was the A74, and have heard from colleagues of them sitting on the bridge after Jct 42 Northbound and just before Jct 40 Southbound.

So basically almost anywhere! I just tend to pootle along on the cruise control if I'm going down the M6 during the day, it ain't worth the worry that you're going to come round a corner and encounter one of the vans.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 15:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I tend to look out for potential unmarked cars Botach, or rather what I know isn't. I see that as at least as big a 'threat'.

You know; If it's got a fancy reg plate, sun roof or fluffy dice etc... :wink: The once I saw a sports car pulled over on the hard shoulder flanked by two unmarked traf pol sports cars.

Fair cop? Goaded perhaps? I have my own take on it...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 08:42 
Site Admin

If they were goaded or entrapped that is illegal in this Country ...
I worry about that as occasionally if you see some vehicle come rushing up behind you, you might increase speed to complete your overtake more quickly to allow them room and that might have taken you over ...
That should then be classed as entrapment and I can think of a host of other techniques too ...

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 21:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:

Just come back, and it seems that the new practice is to be highly visible ,yet not. Locally ,I heard Warks SCP practice on the A46 ( Coventry - Warwick DC) .They'd park on a bridge in full view ,with equipment trained on first point of visibility of vehicle coming toward them . Next one ,seem in a similar position on the A82, in one of the few decent straights for passing buses etc - ( for those that know it -the long wide straights on the side of Loch Lochy,just past Letterfindley), again not visible till past the slight corner .Seems that the lunatics have taken over highland road safety policy, as frustration was not so long ago quoted as the cause of accidents in this part of the world, not speed .
Then on the M74, on the access bridge on the A702 ( hidden in trees ) and the next bridge south ,shielded by a bend.
That's three differing SCP areas all using the same tactic -or part of a national worrying trend?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 19:57 
User

Mole wrote:
I rarely travel the M6 between J40 and 44.

I wish I was that lucky, that's my patrol beat. ;)