All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What the red poppy means
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 17:03 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Well worth reading:

http://hurryupharry.org/2013/11/05/what-the-red-poppy-means/

Quote:
Every year, in the run-up to Remembrance Sunday, there is always some brave and noble soul who thinks he/she is telling truth unto power, who decides that now’s the time to have a pop at the red poppy. Through malice or stupidity, both Remembrance Sunday and the Royal British Legion’s fundraising appeal keep getting misrepresented, and so yet again it’s necessary to put the record straight.

Firstly, the red poppy does not ‘glorify war’, as detractors claim. It is not a symbol of victory or jingoism, but of sacrifice. The inspiration for the poppy was John McCrae’s 1915 poem, ‘In Flanders Fields’, and it reflected the durability of this flower even in the churned-up war-zone of Belgium and Northern France; the choice of emblem is an obvious reflection of commemoration and remembrance. Other countries have similar traditions (such as the French with the blue cornflower, and the Americans with Veterans Day)...

...Finally, the premise behind the white poppy is based on a complete distortion of what the red poppy and the RBL stands for. If you think that your white poppy means that you are ‘for peace’, and that the other stands for ‘war’, there are no words I can use to describe your stupidity and conceit. And if you had a better knowledge of the Peace Pledge Union and its association with pro-Nazis during the 1930s, you will realise that your symbol is actually a tainted and dishonourable one. So I will wear my red poppy because it stands for those who died fighting fascism, whereas you wear your white one for those who would have had us capitulate to and collaborate with Nazi Germany and its allies. There it is.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 19:35 
Site Admin

I am honoured to wear a red poppy and so may it continue.

To honour all our forces at this time is both the decent and moral thing to do.

We must never forget all the efforts so many people put into or even lost their lives in protecting our Country and most importantly our Freedoms.
Long may they rest in peace.
And to our current forces personnel who continue this crucial and valuable job.

I thank you all.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 21:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have always had the utmost respect and admiration for all our forces who protect us and our liberties; even when our 'precious' Government has used them as mercenaries. (Sadly).

I usually end up buying between 3 to 7 poppies every year because they either fall out or get blown off. But I soon replace them and wear it with pride on my chest each and every year.

I'm saddened at the thought that what they all fought for and continue to do so is for a largely ungrateful nation run by corruption and greed. My late parents must be turning in their grave, as must millions before them...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 22:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Tone/Peter E/SS2- I concur. But something I'm seeing now ,and my BIL has mentioned it on FB, is that there's factions opposed to displaying a Poppy.I can't see why ,but i wonder if British traditions need to be protected from incoming factions. Perhaps we should stipulate that coming to the UK accepts certain UK customs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 22:27 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

botach wrote:
Tone/Peter E/SS2- I concur. But something I'm seeing now ,and my BIL has mentioned it on FB, is that there's factions opposed to displaying a Poppy.I can't see why ,but i wonder if British traditions need to be protected from incoming factions. Perhaps we should stipulate that coming to the UK accepts certain UK customs.

Yes, there are some people who seem to think it is jingoistic, or militaristic, or insulting to other cultures, whereas in reality, as the article says, nothing could be further from the truth.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 22:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Personally having a GF & father involved and wearing poppies, I'd suggest those seeking to decry it's meaning be asked if they really are cut-out to be UK citizens. I have a USA DIL who has ex service personal on her family line, who has had problems being accepted by UK agencies, with others who are anti UK being given free reign . Perhaps, like my DIL's side ,we should be looking to see where the immigrants loyalties lie.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 00:26 

article wrote:
Firstly, the red poppy does not ‘glorify war’, as detractors claim. It is not a symbol of victory or jingoism, but of sacrifice.

That, to me, is exactly spot-on. It's PRECISELY what it means to me and it's PRECISELY why I wear one. Unfortunately, he/she then goes on to spoil the article and (in my view, contradict him or herself somewhat) by saying:
article wrote:
So I will wear my red poppy because it stands for those who died fighting fascism, whereas you wear your white one for those who would have had us capitulate to and collaborate with Nazi Germany and its allies. There it is.

And to me, that's not why I wear one. I wear one for the first reason, not the second, and I'm just as sorry that many servicemen AGAINST whom we might have been fighting at various times in history, will have paid exactly the same price as "our lads", and probably not have had that much say in the matter either. If anything, I like to think I wear mine with humility (and certainly sadness), rather than pride.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 14:20 
User

I was brought up to believe each poppy represented at splash of blood to signify the fallen due to conflict.

Doesn't matter what "side" of the conflict you're on or any religious beliefs. (A Soldier is a Soldier under orders of his/her command)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 17:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It should be everyone's personal choice whether to wear a poppy and mine is to do so. The BBC's compulsory poppy wearing for 2 weeks before "the day" makes me sick.

Related to this, the upcoming 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War in 2014 concerns me. I don't understand why the commemoration of the start is deemed to be important by so many when we generally mark the end of conflict as will be done tomorrow.