Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 21:55 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
This is the report of the accident, with a picture of the road. Road at that point is unlit at night with a :70: ( NSL). From the report, I'd suggest he was walking back to traffic on a DC with NO footpath. Driver's defense was that he was unaware of an accident, as he only felt a small bump,something Brake have jumped on to call for heavier penalties .Certainly if it was hit and run, but I'd suggest higher penalties, but the court ( from memory ) held the driver's statement to be true from the light sentence imposed. I can't find the newspaper report of the case, but knowing the road and having seen a number of pedestrians on it , I'd suggest that Brake should be SHOUTING for the law to be changed to ban pedestrians on DC with no footpath to bring them in line with motorways.
The date of the accident was in 2013.

http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Police-i ... story.html

I know I saw the inquest report and Brake shouts in the Nuneaton News, but there's a report on the inquest
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/l ... ty-6836300.
From the last "Passing a verdict of accidental death, assistant coroner David Clark said he would prepare a report for the chief executive of Warwickshire County Council regarding safety on the A444"

I'd say that means more speed cuts ,because of one Darwin award winner. There are several other routes he could have taken ,all with fully lit roads and footpaths, or alternatively he could have used one of the 24 hour taxi services.

ETA- Can someone edit the title to add "y?" to make it sensible .Ta ,in advance .

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 00:14 
Life Member
Life Member

I think those two links are about different events as one is in Feb 2013 and the other is about a death in September 2012.

On the latter following a link off the page to an earlier article-

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/c ... ak-6311507

Quote:
At the wheel was Mandeep Singh Gill, with two passengers, who stopped briefly after the collision and then drove off.

Mr Morley’s body, lying on the grass verge, was not discovered until some time later and Gill eventually gave himself up to police.

The collision was in the early hours of Sunday, September 2, 2012 and Gill, 22, of Dorothy Powell Way, Walsgrave, Coventry, was given a 16-week sentence on Thursday for failing to stop and failing to report an accident.

He was also banned from driving for 12 months and will serve the sentence alongside a three-and-a-half year jail term he is currently serving in relation to drug offences.

Nice guy...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 00:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looking at the dates, I agree, but I can only find reports on the 2013 case, not the 2012 case. If this had happened once before, then perhaps there's more of a case for banning pedestrians from fast DC roads. That would make two cases to consider, with two peds taking their lives in their hands. But from personal experience, I've seen a lot of pedestrians on this DC AT NIGHT.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 01:41 
Site Admin

How does one manage to so badly negotiate a road so as to end up in the path of a car?
Did the driver go away because he or another driver was drunk?
Only going to the cop-shop when sober enough to no longer be in danger of an additional charge.
Utterly despicable behaviour. Perhaps we do need what the French now have - that you must stop at an accident and call for help and help if you can (although open to litigation!)
It is utterly appalling to stop after such a bump to the drivers door (so I assume Sean was crossing the road from o/s to n/s) that the door was hard to open! That's not a bump but a big bang!
Clearly the driver or group of people ought to all be held to account. I guess relatives can bring a civil suit but not what you want to do when in grief.
I can understand the family's upset over this light sentence that wasn't even added onto his existing charge.

Why if he had a smart phone didn't the chap use a phone torch ? Such a simple thing and tells everyone of your presence! As of course would a coat with florescent strips too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 21:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I agree about the driver's responsibilities , but with this 70 limit DC, there's no lighting and no footpath and very little gap between the edge of the tarmac and the Armco with an upward slope on the carriageway, which is not really apparent in a car ,but you have to had tried cycling that section to notice it.( and even in daylight it can be a test of nerves with our local drivers)
Round here playing roulette with traffic seems to be on the increase. Point I was making is that possibly BRAKE seem to be dead set on ignoring the stupidity of pedestrians who ( and I don't know in this case ,but regularly see locals ) dressed in black clothing on this same unlit DC. This DC is never completely empty . I've never had the luxury of driving it at any dark hour on main beam, without being semi dazzled by traffic in the opposite direction .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 22:30 
Site Admin

I suppose that there is always the chance too that the chap crossing from the right would have been in the drivers blind spot due to the A pillar!! :(
Highly likely actually and then the problems of 'unexpected' and many drivers who over concentrate on speed than thoroughly and properly looking ahead and paying great attention. The blind vision where little thought is really being given to the road ahead.