Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 21:34 
User

:gatso2: From the BBC News Technology page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27466684

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 22:05 
User

Quote:
The Autonomous Engine Braking (AEB) system uses radar and sensors on the front of the car to automatically bring it to a halt if an obstruction or imminent collision is detected.

:headbash:

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 23:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
The Olde Worlde driver controlled car used MK1 EYEBALLS to lookout for hazards and slow down in time. Reducing speed WELL before any collision took place. This model had an advantage of passing information to following cars by the old method of HAND SIGNALS, and other methods, so as to avoid collisions with following vehicles. No computer needed, just DRIVING SKILLS.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 23:38 
Life Member
Life Member

Would probably work better if it used the brakes as well as the engine to slow down.

I envision a pedestrian safety harness, it has a complex of sensors and restraints that automatically stop a pedestrian stepping into the road when there is an oncoming vehicle. Additional features could be added to stop queue jumping and enforce opening of doors for buggy pushers.

Just a step on the way to autonomous cars, in some respects not a terrible idea if combined with advanced license levels that allow you to turn it off.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 23:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Or perhaps a switch on pedestrian to switch BRAIN on . :D

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 02:24 
Site Admin

New AEB braking technology would 'make cars safer'
By Dan Whitworth Newsbeat reporter 19 May 2014 Last updated at 14:48

AEB system is 'the next seatbelt'

Dozens of lives could be saved on UK roads if the law was changed to make a new type of technology compulsory in all new cars, according to road safety campaigners and insurance companies.

They want autonomous emergency braking (AEB) to become as common as seatbelts.
But there are worries that the system could make drivers too reliant on the technology.
It uses radar, camera and laser sensors fitted to the vehicle to detect potential collisions.
If the driver doesn't take avoiding action it [AEB] will automatically brake the car to mitigate the crash or completely avoid it altogether

Matthew Avery, Director of Research at Thatcham
At the moment the system's only fitted in about a fifth of new cars.
Matthew Avery is director of research at Thatcham, the insurance industry's research centre and says AEB is "the next seatbelt".
He adds: "If the driver doesn't take avoiding action [it] will automatically brake the car to mitigate the crash or completely avoid it altogether."

The system works by using sensors fitted to the car which can detect if the car in front is slowing down or braking sharply.
It can then judge quickly if the car needs to come to an automatic emergency stop.
Tony Davison, whose son Adrian died in a car accident, campaigns about road safety and says AEB is an "excellent idea" and the government should make it a compulsory feature.

He says the moment a police officer knocked on his door to tell him his son had been in a fatal crash "ruined" his life.
"There hasn't been a single day goes by from then until now where I haven't thought about him and I haven't missed him," he adds.
"Anything that can be done to reduce other families having to go through what we've been through has to be a bonus."
A car is tested using the autonomous emergency braking (AEB) technology
Road safety charities are calling for the government to make it mandatory for cars to be fitted with AEB.
They quote research from the insurance industry which suggests more than 1,220 lives could be saved over the next 10 years if that happened.
The Department for Transport has said there are no plans to make the system a legal requirement.
The technology has also been criticised over its cost, as prices range from anything from several hundred to several thousand pounds.

There are also concerns it could make drivers too reliant on technology.

The last sentence says it all really. Thankfully there are no plans to make this legal. It raises the cost of cars too and in political terms that might reduce car sales so that not good for the economy. So unlikely that they will be tempted. I can't see a 'need' for it. Who's to say if the gentleman who lost his son might not have done had this been in action. There is no mention of the details of that accident.
Making drivers and riders better make this 'need' for the car to brake totally un-necessary and what if it does it when you don't need it!
If it goes on cars too close in busy city traffic driving or motorway queues will it just leave you stopped with no over-ride.
I recently had a hire car that braked if you got it in neutral at traffic lights and I just found it annoying, although it did start each time but what happens when it's 10 years old ?
Like that this is also totally un-necessary in my opinion. Just because the technology can do it doesn't mean that we ought to need it or want it.
I agree that the a2b driver might be helped because they rarely pay attention but effort and funds ought to go into making them a good as they can be than dumb them down even further with gadgets ! :(