The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ticket 31 in 30
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
For those that go on PH .In SP&L someone has received one in Yorkshire. ( Not me ,I hasten to add)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: ticket 31 in 30
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 22:41 

I'll believe it when I see a scan of the ticket.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 23:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So will I ,strangely enough ,although he who must not be named will soon be along to remind of how many kittens/ bunnies and children would be in danger .

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 13:18 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

From an actual copper at the roadside, possible, from a fixed camera or Talivan, not going to happen. As Homer said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 14:46 
User

If you see it give a copy to me and I will take it to Yorkshire and discuss it.

I don't think I will be needing a flat-cap too soon though. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 00:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Why not go on PH SP& L and look for the post. Is it Charly Bang bang, or Pitsmans boots you're posting under these days .

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 00:47 

Or spit the dog?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 22:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

graball wrote:
Or spit the dog?

+1
I thought it was Captain Pugwash ,of the submarine grounded on the shoals north of Skye Bridge, due to misreading the rip tides . Or perhaps one of his mates ,who had no idea of tidal rips. All the Cap had to do was ask an ignorant highlander, who wears a kilt, unlike his fellow fro Yorkshire who wears a flat cap. But then ,neither ,like the good Cap't, RN profess to be experts. ( An allusion to another post on PH/or even Yorks ,where GS stands for something something not so nice).

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 02:29 
Site Admin

Chaps ... input and views from all ... :)

Edited to add link to Piston Heads thread : http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... in+30+zone

Poster said it was only a flash as he went past, not that he had a ticket. Six weeks have now past with no NIP.

I have had an interview where the BBC presenter said that she has received a ticket for 34 and that ought to not have happened which I told her but she felt that she must have been at fault and therefor 'deserved' the course. Although it might have happened if she was one of the 37 of 44 forces that signed up to the 10% - 10% +9mph to attend a course! This just makes for more course attendees and more profit!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13022347
http://www.gosafe.org/en/content/cms/ed ... ness-cour/

Perhaps because she was on air but if it is legally incorrect, it ought to be auto authorised and removed and her money refunded, no questions.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 20:29 
User

You are confused. There is no agreement to commence SAC at 10%. The lowest is 10%+2mph.

I have asked those partnerships who are in the national scheme if they have offered any course at lower than 35 in a 30, none have responded to say they have all respondents say not.

It is not uncommon for attendees to claim speeds lower than 35 even when they have not been charged with speeds less than 35. It raises an eyebrow but you can work out yourself why they do it.

If you get a notice with a SAC offered at less than 10%+ 2mph let me know and I will take it up with the SAC administrators and the force issuing it.

I await seeing one as I am sure so do you all.

Until you see one I say "put up or shut up".

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 21:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

TBH- I saw the post and was waiting for a reply, but I haven't noticed one. Personally I do not stray outside the Burrough, and know the fixed cameras around. I also know where to expect a van, usually hiding under a tree overhang , especially now that the trees are spreading, although I haven't seen one for a while.But no doubt, GS, a van will appear in Ansley (B4112) ,hiding under the canopy, in a properly constituted bus stop , long lens aimed at least 1/4, possibly 1/2 mile up the road. Road safety -NAW.Cash generation - definitely , as the van is only there late in the day . If it was road safety, then why the need to hide in the trees. not the first time I've seen this . Greenmoor road ,CV10 7 ( under the willows) ring any bells. Locally it got named "the hedgehog".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 
Site Admin

I am hearing of an increasing number of people who are receiving NIP's for below 10%+2 - often on air discussing it with interviewers or their other guests!
I agree any callers to their programs would need to validate their claim, but it is happening.
I have also seen that some southern Counties are now employing a 0% allowance 'but' up to +9 to be offered a course! A clear case of profit above safety policy, very very sad state of affairs indeed.

Edited to add - the sentence above should read 10% allowance ...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 18:14 

Realistically, if these courses were so important to keeping death off the roads they should offer them free of charge from the money they make from the people who pay up, I wouldn't go on one if I had to pay as a matter of principle. I would sooner pay the fine than give up a day of my time and pay for the privelage.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 23:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Grabs, I wonder how high the bar will be raised to get more bums on seats to stop the empire from crashing. It's now getting more like a musical version of a scene from “Oliver Twist". "Got to pick a pocket or two "

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 09:08 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I am hearing of an increasing number of people who are receiving NIP's for below 10%+2 - often on air discussing it with interviewers or their other guests!
I agree any callers to their programs would need to validate their claim, but it is happening.
I have also seen that some southern Counties are now employing a 0% allowance 'but' up to +9 to be offered a course! A clear case of profit above safety policy, very very sad state of affairs indeed.

My post of Post of Wed May 21, 2014 19:29 still stands.

I have seen and heard nothing of any police force or safety camera partnership operating at 0% ...other than complete speculation or repetition of that. Your allegation is a repetition of unsupported speculation. It is my understanding, that being based upon working with those who lead the NDORS scheme, that no provision is made to accept speeds that are below the ACPO speed enforcement guidance. There is no record that there has been a breech of this as far as I am aware.
I have been on 3 speed awareness courses and on every one someone said they had been caught doing 34,33,32 etc. when asked by me were they sure nobody was. I have no idea why people have a poor recall of their speed but they always seem to err on the low side when recalling the speed at which they were detected.
While there is nothing preventing prosecutions below the recommended levels in the ACPO speed table these are rare. In fact lower speeds are in the recommendation when other factors are present but these are made by police patrols.
Repetition of unsupported and scurrilous speculation doesn't do any favours to improving the reputation of this website, such as it is.
Good luck in your search.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 01:51 
Site Admin

The '10%' (sorry typo, meant 10%)+9 mph, in a growing increase for people to attend SAC from 10%+2 above the speed limit to 10%+9mph.
This increase is of concern as it becomes an increasing 'technical' offense and more people on courses than real road safety values.

I have heard that a few insurance companies are beginning to state that even one course is equal to 3 points and so are starting to increase premiums because of this, however I haven't verified this myself although I am researching it.

The 34mph I offered the 'guest' on the radio show that it maybe withdrawn (thinking of your offer) but she declined. I wasn't on scene and cannot verify it.
So far I have offered it to various people I have heard state their claims of under 35mph and so far I have not seen follow up evidence. I

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 02:55 
Site Admin

Whilst I have no proof I do think it goes on (lower than 10% +2) as I have heard it from so many many places. People rarely want to be the one standing out from the crowd and they feel uneasy when they are.
I do wish I could bring someone forward and show you. However time will show one I'm sure sooner or later... perhaps once one comes forward others will follow...
:)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 22:29 
User

It is a well-known fact that police operate databases to administer their speed and other enforcement activity. I have attended 3 speed awareness courses and on all 3 courses there have been attendees saying that they have been given tickets for 32, 33 and 34mph in a 30mph speed limit.
It is amusing in a way to listen to those people say that when I have known that there are no records of those speeds on the database at the police office that has administered the ticket and the record of the offence.
It is dissapointing to learn that a member of the media, with access to a sometimes trusted broadcasting facility, will broadcast either a lie or at best a mistake in the speed on their ticket.
There is nothing to stop a police officer issuing a ticket at a speed under the ACPO recommended thresholds however those recommendations state that while this is allowed other compounding factors should be present before that is done.
Issuing tickets below the ACPO thresholds is not routinely practiced and I am yet to see one on a police database or on an issued ticket other than one issued by a police seargent who had good reason to issue a ticket for 33 in a 30 where a number of offences were committed on one occasion; he chose the speeding offence on that occasion and it was perfectly reasonable to do so.
We all still await the production of a ticket at less than SL + 10% +2mph...until one is produced I suggest you all stop speading the legend of such a ticket. Perhaps you can all call the bluff of someone who speaks of one they have received until it is substantiated.
Good Luck.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 22:31 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Whilst I have no proof I do think it goes on (lower than 10% +2) as I have heard it from so many many places. People rarely want to be the one standing out from the crowd and they feel uneasy when they are.
I do wish I could bring someone forward and show you. However time will show one I'm sure sooner or later... perhaps once one comes forward others will follow...
:)

You should perhaps start acting on fact not fantasy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 03:43 
Site Admin

I am not acting on it, we are here discussing it. This is a free place to openly discuss all aspects of driving. It is not the website which purely deals with fact and research and results of said research.

I have every right to discuss it here and afford an opinion.
I have no reason to not believe the person on the radio show who stated that she was booked for less than 10% =+2mph (by a camera). She offered the information it was not relevant to the direct discussion so was not a necessary part that was required to prove or explain any point.

I am interested in the Police database of speeds. It would be required to be listed I'm assuming with the persons details too (less interesting to me however). Is that something that I can obtain access to or who holds it (to save me some time in locating it), that would be helpful and interesting.