All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Shock /horror
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 22:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
:shock: :shock:

https://uk.cars.yahoo.com/news/cars-wro ... 00111.html

THE VAST majority of cars involved in accidents have the wrong tyre pressures, shocking new data has revealed.

Police forces check the tyre pressures of all cars involved in reported collisions across the UK. Frighteningly, 86% of all of them had at least one incorrectly inflated tyre.

A roadside study by Sussex Police found that 73% of the cars it tested had the wrong pressures.

nothing mentioned of the speed of these vehicles, so can we safely assume ( since the speed kills & Brake have not trumped this ) that speed had no involvement ( other than incorrect speed for conditions) in these accidents. Now can we see any police forces acting to do something about the mindless morons who think it's a great game to let some tyres down , or some "safety " group calling for accuracy checks on forecourt gauges ,a return to those that let you check tyre pressures for free and a strict limit on fees for use of forecourt tyre equipment . I certainly won't hold my breath.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Shock /horror
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

How far out do the pressures need to be to be "wrong". Without knowing this it is difficult to judge how serious the problem is.

It may, of course be to do with the attitude of the drivers; don't care about their car; don't care about driving safely.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 23:55 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Possibly ,but officialdom and road safety campaigns have diverted the majority of drivers focus away from roadworthy-ness of car and the other major road safety items.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 16:00 

According to the article:

“Tyres that are under inflated by just 20% (4-6psi) on average can last 26% less than if correctly inflated,” the statement reads.

“According to police figures 73% of tyres checked were 5psi out against handbook pressures."

I think they're pretty much milking it to say the least. I think for most cars, 4 PSI is rather less than 20%. Talk about hype!

It's just like speed really. They just over-simplify and look for a good "sound bite". The actual realities of the situation can go hang. My company car runs a about 36 PSI (unladen) and has run-flat tyres and a tyre pressure monitoring system. Out of curiosity I dropped one tyre's pressure bit by bit until the warning light came on - that was 8 PSI down when it finally lit up. Maybe I should sue the car manufacturer based on the figures in that article?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 00:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mole - I agree. BUT, perhaps it's now time to divert attention AWAY from the now empire falling speed campaign.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 21:56 
Gold Member
Gold Member

In my job, I cannot install a single thing which is not 'Medically Approved'.

In other words, how can you trust a tyre inflation gauge and what is the acceptable error? I PAT test equipment, to 'prove it's safe'. (Not). More arse covering...

It's more to do with litigation and "being seen to doing the right & pc thing", (even if it's horse shit). Hence my support of SS and criticism of current speed enforcement.

As an aside, I see many places in Birmingham becoming a Village all of a sudden; with ostentatious large signs declaring you are entering "a Village". (Like it's a quiet sleepy place where hillbillies reside :lol: ). FFS, come on...

What's anyone's idea of "a village"? Trees? Cows in a field? Peaceful and quiet? We ALL know our neighbours right?

Let me tell you about " Stirchley Village "

Everywhere bricks & mortar! One arterial road passing through which is gorged with traffic going at the pace of a snail!

A Village? What bollocks! But it's enough to remap the area as a :20: all of a sudden.

From the beginning of "Stirchley Village" there's a new :20: to end of "Stirchley Village" :20: it's so congested an asthmatic geriatric could cycle through it quicker.

So the point of :20: was what exactly...? Yep, we all know... :roll:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 00:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tone- next will come signs on roads roads leading to " Stirchley Village " saying that it's access to "VILLAGE ONLY, NO THROUGH ROAD", when in fact locals know there is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:56 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm seeing it in many areas now Dave. As I say, the traffic is so heavy you'd be doing well to get through it quicker than a cyclist.

So the :20: is yet another PC figleaf gesture from some moron desperate to get a pat on the back because him mommy didn't love him as a child and justify his overpaid position working for The Council.

It only takes one bus or HGV travelling through the damn place to bring the whole traffic to an absolute stop! (Which happens about every minute at peak times).

There's no intelligent thinking behind it, unless it's just to f&%k it up so badly to act as an incentive to ditch our cars. I honestly can't see or think of any other reason...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 01:35 

botach wrote:
A roadside study by Sussex Police found that 73% of the cars it tested had the wrong pressures.

And how many cars not involved in collisions have the wrong pressures? I'll bet it's pretty much the same figure.

It's just a nonsense statistic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:48 

Quote:
from some moron desperate to get a pat on the back because him mommy didn't love him as a child and justify his overpaid position working for The Council.

Ha ha, what a perfect definition of the average highways official. I will keep that for future reference, Tone

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 19:01 

I must admit I have noticed on several occassions when the handling has been affected by a drop of about 4-5 PSI on only one tyre, although you wouldn't always notice a change in the appearance of the tyre wall, although it's probably unlikely that the average potterer would notice...until it's too late maybe?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 23:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

And what is the "right" tyre pressure for a vehicle. TRY a makers manual. "Depends on load" is all mine says ,with some examples. I had new tyres fitted to one of our works Transits years ago, when I was employed .That weekend, I and a mate took two loaded Transits to a job. On the way back, we stopped off and mate was worried about the handling of his ( one with new tyres), so as he's only been driving for a year( and me about twice as long as he had years),we swapped vehicles. Definitely rear end twitchy,so I checked manual and tyre pressures. All within limits. in the week ,i took van in to tyre place, to find that rears were far too high. Dropped to tyre place recommendation and rear end was almost as glued as the rear end of a RWD Transit can be.