Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:40 
User

:gatso2: From Manx Forums. com Hostility towards cyclists.

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index. ... -clusters/

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 16:42 

Yes cycling two abreast, when going up a hill, just after a blind bend, is very sensible.....NOT!

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 21:19 

graball wrote:
Yes cycling two abreast, when going up a hill, just after a blind bend, is very sensible.....NOT!

It is when it stops numpties from trying to squeeze past an inch from your handlebars.

If it is safe to overtake a cyclist then there is room for two abreast, if there isn't room for two abreast then there isn't room to go past it's as simple as that.

I have this problem myself on the ride to work. At one point I go past a traffic island, there isn't room for me and a micra to get through side by side safely, if I ride at the side of the road some numpty will try to anyway so I ride up the middle.

Then I get on a nice 3 lane DC (40 limit dropping to 30). If I ride up the side of lane 1 then I'll get numpties coming past me in lane 1 (pushing me into the potholes) even though lane 2 and 3 are empty. If I ride right up the middle then they go right over to lane 2 giving me about three times as much space.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 19:14 

My point is, that if you are riding two abreast around a blind bend and someone approaches too fast, not expecting a virtually stationary road block, it is more dangerous/difficult to avoid two cyclists than one...i certainly wouldn't want to be the one on the offside.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 13:41 
User

graball wrote:
My point is, that if you are riding two abreast around a blind bend and someone approaches too fast, not expecting a virtually stationary road block, it is more dangerous/difficult to avoid two cyclists than one...i certainly wouldn't want to be the one on the offside.

You should be directing your anger at the person coming round the bend at a speed that makes it blind graball.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 00:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
weepej wrote:
graball wrote:

You should be directing your anger at the person coming round the bend at a speed that makes it blind graball.

Any sane, non Cyclist person ,would side with Grabs. Any SANE motorist wouldn't be driving around the bend ,so as to be put in a position of danger. So WHY should it be OK for two cyclists to behave in this fashion ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 13:46 

Too right Botach, anyone breaking down round a blind bend would be expected to put a warning triangle before the bend to warn of danger....why make danger when it can be reduced by riding in single file? Only a fool would introduce danger to our roads un-necessarily.(that includes all the highways engineers that believe that building obstacles in roads add to road safety....DOH!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 15:08 
User

graball wrote:
Too right Botach, anyone breaking down round a blind bend would be expected to put a warning triangle before the bend to warn of danger....why make danger when it can be reduced by riding in single file? Only a fool would introduce danger to our roads un-necessarily.(that includes all the highways engineers that believe that building obstacles in roads add to road safety....DOH!)

You see, I think the fools who are introducing unnecessary danger to our roads are the fools driving too quickly around corners.

A pair of cyclists riding side by side aren't a danger to anybody at all.

Somebody travelling round a corner too quickly is a danger to everybody around them, as well as themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 15:13 
User

For Example, who do you blame for this potentially lethal situation, the driver, or the people sitting at the back of the queue he nearly struck?

SafeSpeed wrote:
As I come around a left hand bend (with a hedge on the left limiting my vision) I discover (to my horror) stationary traffic ahead queued for road works traffic lights. The last couple of cars are actually on the bend. I'm going way way too fast to stop and for a split second it's looking like 40mph into the back of the queue.

There's no traffic oncoming and one firm dab of braking turns off the steering (no ABS in those days). I slide in a straight line onto the opposite carriageway, release the brake, and cruise past the waiting traffic jam to meet the road works lights as they are changing to green.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 22:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:trolls: :dighole:
weepej wrote:
graball wrote:

You see, I think the fools who are introducing unnecessary danger to our roads are the fools driving too quickly around corners.

Somebody travelling round a corner too quickly is a danger to everybody around them, as well as themselves.

:trolls: :dighole:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 18:48 

Quote:

Apart from themselves but feel free to stand in the middle of the road round a blind bend on a fast road or wander across a busy dual carriage way in the dark but don't blame me if it hurts.......

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 00:30 

weepej wrote:
graball wrote:

Even if that person (or persons) is / are cyclists?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 00:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

There's none so blind as a cyclist /troll on a mission.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 21:57 
User

Mole wrote:

Even if that person (or persons) is / are cyclists?

Yes.

Although I'd rather get rear ended by a twat cyclist coming round a corner too fast than a twat driver coming round the corner too fast.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 22:02 
User

botach wrote:
There's none so blind as a cyclist /troll on a mission.

Why do you think I'm trolling?

Trolling is writing inflammatory stuff that the author doesn't necessarily believe in to disrupt a thread or message board.

Why is stating that we should be blaming idiots going round corners too quickly for creating danger on our roads, and not people on bikes riding on the carriageway, even if they are in the middle of the lane, trolling?

Quote:
In Internet slang, a troll (/?tro?l/, /?tr?l/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 22:03 
User

graball wrote:
Quote:

Apart from themselves but feel free to stand in the middle of the road round a blind bend on a fast road or wander across a busy dual carriage way in the dark but don't blame me if it hurts.......

Only a bad driver would strike somebody standing round the corner on a blind bend, or hit somebody crossing a carriageway in the dark.

Don't you agree?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 23:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

AS I said a few posts back
There's none so blind as a cyclist /troll on a mission

weepy -I've given you ,the courtesy of letting you reply to say why You ARE NOT A TROLL. IMHO- you have FAILED TO provide evidence that you are not.
By ADMISSION "Trolling is writing inflammatory stuff that the author doesn't necessarily believe in to disrupt a thread or message board." - Constantly Weepy does this, and in his own words ,does admit it.
ADMIN- I rest my case.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 23:43 
User

Why is stating that we should be blaming idiots going round corners too quickly for creating danger on our roads, and not people on bikes riding on the carriageway, even if they are in the middle of the lane, trolling?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 16:14 

Quote:
Only a bad driver would strike somebody standing round the corner on a blind bend, or hit somebody crossing a carriageway in the dark.

Don't you agree?

It is a fact that the worse drivers are more likely to hit something stationary round a sharp bend, than a good driver but why make danger more likely by riding two abreast when riding single file, when you are in a position of danger,would be safer?

if you are leading a group of walkers, would you encourage then to cross a road just round a sharp bend , just because "stupid drivers shouldn't be going too fast", or would you encourage them to cross at a more safe point?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 22:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:

Road safety ( indeed safety in all of life ) depends on EVERYBODY seeking to make decisions to ensure the safety of all others on every occasion. Except to you when an idiot on two unpowered wheels does it- as you admit by stating it's OK to ride in the middle of a road on a BLIND (in capitols ,in case your eyes are a bit dim) bend. Yet you still blunder on defending this.
I also wrote
Quote:
"Trolling is writing inflammatory stuff that the author doesn't necessarily believe in to disrupt a thread or message board."

Ring any ( non cycle ) bells.
I accept ,you may opt out of the
Quote:
stuff that the author doesn't necessarily believe in
bit, but despite that you constantly harp on about the cyclists "DIVINE RIGHT " to evade all safety reasoning. History lesson - What happened to the bloke who decided that a person ( in this case Monarch) had a "DIVINE RIGHT " -- yep - you're right- he lost his life . like cyclists, who insist that they have a "shield of immortality ( or should that be "immorality") surrounding them by riding through red lights/down motorways, they ARE not immortal,and more than most road users should remember that.
but then,i only spent the last ten or so years with two hats, when I worked.
Hat 1- I was a rail signal tech, working on safety critical safety equipment.
Hat 2- the bloke in charge of the site safety of the blokes on track, with blokes on open tracks with trains with limited brakes travelling at 125MPH. Make an error and it might be a room without a view for 10 years, and cost your best mate his arms/legs or life.