Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 00:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 17:24 
User

:gatso2: From the Belfast Telegraph

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 73095.html

Cyclist knocks down ex-UTV presenter Jeanie Johnston on pavement before speeding off

By Amanda Ferguson – 27 April 2015

Former UTV presenter Jeanie Johnston is recovering at home after being knocked down by a cyclist speeding along a pavement in south Belfast at the weekend.

Jeanie was walking on the Malone Road at 11am on Saturday when she was hit by a man on a bicycle and suffered a number of injuries.

"I was knocked sideways with some force," she said.

When a couple who came to her aid mentioned calling the police and an ambulance, the cyclist got back on his bike and pedalled off, leaving her lying bleeding in the dirt with a swollen hand and suspected broken leg.

"I was walking up the road and he came out of nowhere," she said.

"The first cyclist got round me but the guy behind him couldn't see me and hit me headlong at some speed.

"I was lying in the dirt, my arm was bleeding, my head was up like a bap and I thought my leg was broken." The badly bruised communications officer from Kircubbin was taken to the Ulster Hospital emergency department but luckily there were no bones broken.

Jeanie would love to get in touch with the couple who helped her to thank them for assisting her as she lay injured and to ask them for a copy of the photograph they took of the cyclist.

"They tried to stop this pipsqueak but there was no stopping him," she said.

"I was in shock so didn't have the presence of mind to ask for their name.

"I want the police to find this guy.

"I heard a detective inspector on the radio recently saying it is against the law to ride on the pavement except when circumstances on the road are dangerous.

"This was Saturday morning, the road wasn't busy."

Jeanie says with the launch of the new public share scheme today it is a good time to remind the public of the dangers of riding on pavements.

"The Belfast Bike launch is a fabulous initiative," she said.

"It's a good time to reiterate you can't ride bicycles on the pavement."

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 00:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Quote:

Add to that, cycling through red light junctions. Failing to respect pedestrians on any sort of crossing when the pedestrian is on the crossing. Conforming to any/all of the road traffic laws. And many more. I'm waiting with bated breath to see what slant our resident cycle Troll CAN PUT ON THIS POST, IF it appears. W?????????????, when we're calliiiinnngg youuuuuuu( YODELLLLLL).

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 07:38 
User

botach wrote:
Quote:

Add to that, cycling through red light junctions. Failing to respect pedestrians on any sort of crossing when the pedestrian is on the crossing. Conforming to any/all of the road traffic laws. And many more.

Botach, stop generalising.

I see this sort of behaviour and lawbreaking every day from all types of road users, not just certain people on bikes, but some people in cars, trucks, vans and motorcycles.

A lady in a car the other day stopping in front of me on a pedestrian crossing (illegal) and she was on her phone (illegal). I imagine she speeds as well (illegal).

There's a road I walk up regularly for instance, it's the entrance to an industrial estate. With parked car on one side (they can't park on the other side) it's just not wide enough to two lorries to pass, so what do some do to maintain speed? Yes, you guessed it, mount the pavement and speed along it with two wheels on two wheels off.

Note I said some, not all; the same applies to people on bikes.

When you rod ea bike did you jump red lights and ride on the pavement?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 23:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:

When you rod ea bike did you jump red lights and ride on the pavement?

First I'm not generalising. I let you do that and you do it sufficiently well for most of the membership not to have to do so . I'd ask you where you get that idea, but like a lot of other questions from a lot of other posters, you'll engage selective vision mode and evade.
Then again , I was taught to ride a cycle in a town ,with respect for the safety of my self and all other road users. I constantly observe and preach safety in all things in general and road safety in particular.
perhaps ,if you and other cycle keyboard warriors would put the time and energy you put into castigating other road users , into trying to correct the ills of the cycling world ,you might start to open your eyes to the dangers cyclists cause to the system as a whole. Pavements are for pedestrians- case closed( See HC62 AND 64 ="You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement" .NOTE the wording "MUST NOT"), THEN THERE'S 69 =69

You MUST obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD reg 10(1)
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129).Then there's HC71
You MUST NOT cross the stop line when the traffic lights are red. (see Rule 178).
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 36(1)
in the local park where I take our dog, one side is marked out for pedestrians and cycles the other side has multiple signs -perhaps you'd like to tell me what THIS ONE means- RED CIRCLE ,black cycle in middle on a white background . very few of the cyclist I meet either don't know or ignore it.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 00:55 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Today is 10/5/2015, and again I note that my questions ,like those of other posters have put to to the upset one ( i.e ,it who cries =weepy), remain unanswered . From across the board of posters, I find that a intolerable number of questions posed to this poster still remain unanswered. It's gone again. No contact. It's vanished like a flight on a certain airline.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 23:08 
User

botach wrote:
Today is 10/5/2015, and again I note that my questions ,like those of other posters have put to to the upset one ( i.e ,it who cries =weepy), remain unanswered . From across the board of posters, I find that a intolerable number of questions posed to this poster still remain unanswered. It's gone again. No contact. It's vanished like a flight on a certain airline.

botach, I already answered your question with my first response, I don't need to answer it twice.

I think it's clear you're generalising, casting anybody on a bike as a scofflaw regardless of their behaviour.

If that's not your intention you need to be a bit more precise with your statements.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 21:34 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I see a partial answer ,dressed up to look like a complete answer as you've done so often ( that is if you choose to answer as plenty of posters will remember.I ). All I hear from you is "two wheels good, any more bad". Then you come out with as quote of a motorist doing something wrong ,and proclaim loudly ,from the lofty heights that a bike rider would never do that.

But then, you're not interested in road safety ,are you, just the rights of cyclists not to have the constraints of the RTA applied to them.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 09:11 
User

botach, I really worry about your comprehension skills.

botach wrote:
All I hear from you is "two wheels good, any more bad".

Nonsense.

I drive, I interact with many drivers (most in fact) who are kind courteous and careful whether I'm driving, cycling or walking.

I also have to deal with quite a lot of idiots, on bikes, in or on motor vehicles and walking. It's idiots in heavy motorised vehicles that scare me the most though, and rightly so, they have a massive potential to seriously maim or cause death as compared to pedestrians that might bump into me on the pavement or a cyclist that might clip me.

The law gives credence to this in that a motorist using a mobile phone will receive a penalty, but it will be nowhere as stiff as a lorry driver or coach driver doing the same thing as the potential for harm is much much greater in larger, heavier vehicles.

Circumstance matters.

Somebody shooting a bb gun in public could get a telling off, but firing a fully automatic weapon is completely different story I'm sure you'll agree.

botach wrote:
and proclaim loudly ,from the lofty heights that a bike rider would never do that.

Nonsense, where did I write that?

botach wrote:
But then, you're not interested in road safety

Nonsense.

botach wrote:
just the rights of cyclists not to have the constraints of the RTA applied to them.

Nonsense.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 23:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Plenty of the usual disclaimers ,but no actual factual evidence of you ever doing this. But then again ,all I've seen from your last post is an attempt to drag me into an adhomiie argument .