Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 13:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tim Collins - RIP
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:55 
User

As some of you may have heard, TC has lost his seat, Westmorland & Lonsdale to the Lib Dems.

From memory, he took an interest in the Safespeed campaign when he was Shadow Transport Spokesman.

Somehow I doubt his successor will be as supportive... :o

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:56 

Yes, something of a disappointment I fear.

The feeling I get is that on the one hand the LibDems heavily targeted the seat as a key marginal (it was the 13th narrowest defeat last time, so pretty high on their target list). The amount of LibDem advertising around Kendal this last couple of weeks has been pretty ludicrous, not to mention the leafleting campaigns that have been inundating our doormat!

Meanwhile, I got the impression that as a member of the Shadow Cabinet Collins was perhaps a bit too preoccupied at national & party level to give the local issues the attention that turned out to be such a critical issue all over the land at this election.

And what of the outsider Tony Kemp, splitting the vote? TC lost by c.300 votes, which is what Kemp polled...

Either way, I can't believe that we're landed with a bloody LibDem mp due to what I feel amounts to little more than tactical voting. <sigh>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 22:47 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

JT wrote:

The feeling I get is that on the one hand the LibDems heavily targeted the seat as a key marginal (it was the 13th narrowest defeat last time, so pretty high on their target list). The amount of LibDem advertising around Kendal this last couple of weeks has been pretty ludicrous, not to mention the leafleting campaigns that have been inundating our doormat!

Meanwhile, I got the impression that as a member of the Shadow Cabinet Collins was perhaps a bit too preoccupied at national & party level to give the local issues the attention that turned out to be such a critical issue all over the land at this election.

And what of the outsider Tony Kemp, splitting the vote? TC lost by c.300 votes, which is what Kemp polled...

Either way, I can't believe that we're landed with a bloody LibDem mp due to what I feel amounts to little more than tactical voting. <sigh>

How can the advertising be described as ludicrous? It was a marginal seat, thanks to Collins performance last election, now it has fallen to the advertiser. Good marketing if you ask me.

As a member of the shadow cabinet Mr Collins said he was too busy to bother campaigning in his seat as the national scene was more important (paraphrasing). The tories and Mr Collins have got what results in showing the electorate that they didn't really give a toss for the locals in Westmorland and Lonsdale.

Mr Farron managed to send personalised mailshots every week of the election campaign, knocked on our door and appeared regularly in Kendal town centre. Exactly why he is now selected and Mr Colins is ditched.

Lets hope Mr Farrons post election efforts are similar to his campaign or he will be letting in a tory once more.

Cheerio Tim, it was nice not knowing you and the Job Centre is on Blackhall Road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 23:00 

JJ wrote:
How can the advertising be described as ludicrous?

I meant in the sense that it looked ludicrous. I mean, do people really vote for a candidate representing an unelectable party simply because they've got more boards dotting the streets than the others? Did it influence your vote?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 23:08 

Hmmmm...Lib Dems

This is from their web site
http://www.libdems.org.uk/news/story.html?id=8308&navPage=news.html

Then there is...
http://www.libdems.org.uk/news/story.html?id=8198&navPage=news.html

Tossers....didn't get my vote..... :wink:

Mostly down to this idiot...John Thurso MP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 23:45 

JJ wrote:
JT wrote:

How can the advertising be described as ludicrous? It was a marginal seat, thanks to Collins performance last election, now it has fallen to the advertiser. Good marketing if you ask me.

As a member of the shadow cabinet Mr Collins said he was too busy to bother campaigning in his seat as the national scene was more important (paraphrasing). The tories and Mr Collins have got what results in showing the electorate that they didn't really give a toss for the locals in Westmorland and Lonsdale.

Mr Farron managed to send personalised mailshots every week of the election campaign, knocked on our door and appeared regularly in Kendal town centre. Exactly why he is now selected and Mr Colins is ditched.

Lets hope Mr Farrons post election efforts are similar to his campaign or he will be letting in a tory once more.

Cheerio Tim, it was nice not knowing you and the Job Centre is on Blackhall Road.

As a non-CSCP resident I would be interested in which CSCP resident posted this opinion. Any help? The grammar is leaning in a particular direction, but I wouldn't want to assume :roll:

JJ, Kev, Steve, any of you want to stand up and say 'AYE' ?

I personally find it very interesting that CSCP will post here on this subject but totally ignore the rising fatalities noted on the other threads.

Or maybe I'm just confused?...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 00:27 
User

The leaflets that arrived through MY door from the Lib Dems WERE ludricous! I accumulated over 24 leaflets from the Lib Dems, each one jumping on a different bandwagon, and making claims they could'nt possibly keep unless elected with a majority!!

Tim Farron is a member of the Lakes Line Action Group, so I emailed and asked:
Ernest Marsh wrote:
We live in an area which backs onto the Windermere to Oxenholme railway line. Day after day we see virtually empty trains passing backwards and forwards. Only a few trains are well used - at commuter times.
We also see the vast amount of maintainence carried out - nearly every day somebody is working on the line. An internet search has failed to reveal how much subsidy the line receives, but nationally, the figure is thousands of pounds per mile of track!! Surely it is time to stop sentimentally clinging to an old fashioned form of transport, and use the line to form a dedicated bus and cyclepath! At weekends we presently get a bus service, which lacks the expensive infrastructure required by the railway!
On top of this, we have to put up with constant hooting of the train horn as it passes three footpaths at the rear of our property, before returning a few minutes later having stopped at Windermere. I see you are a member of the Lakes Line User Group - how often do YOU use the line? When you get to Windermere, how do you travel on to your destination?

(The same day he had held a surgery outside my son's school, and had arrived by car!)
This was his reply:
Tim Farron wrote:
"...On the other hand, I do support the maintenance of what is left of the rural rail network because there are so many immobile people, who do value the availability of train travel. I do use the service but I would want to question the need to intrude upon the peace of residents, who live close to the line."

It must be gratifying for those immobile people to get dropped off at Kendal Station to do their shopping, and to have to make their way to the Westmorland Centre, just adjacent to the BUS station - especially given the problems of vehicle access to the train station!
Now Tim Farron lives in Milnthorpe, so how does he manage his train journey to Windermere, when NOT in his car? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 09:06 

Ernest Marsh wrote:
The leaflets that arrived through MY door from the Lib Dems WERE ludricous! I accumulated over 24 leaflets from the Lib Dems, each one jumping on a different bandwagon, and making claims they could'nt possibly keep unless elected with a majority!!

I got the same.

Next time I am going to post every single one back for "ecological disposal" without a stamp.... :twisted:

That should cost them a bob or two... :lol:

Just doing my bit for the environment.. :roll:

Thinking about it..what a great protest that would be. Imagine the parties getting everything they post back through their door. After all it is their responsibility to dispose of their wast, not post it to us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 09:11 
Life Member
Life Member

Certainly true that many shadow cabinet MPs had to focus more on improving their own position. Tim probably was one who ignored that at his peril. But he only lost by 264. In the Southeast, in spite of the move of Labour disaffecteds to the LibDems the Conservatives gained ground over LibDems. Tim Collins former colleagues that were targeted by Lib Dems actually increased their majorities . LibDems with previous majorities in thousands now reduced to a few hundred.

Overall Conservatives managed to win 5 from Libdems whilst they won 3 from Conservatives. A gain of 2.

In next election libDems wont have the benefit of the Blair factor.

Question is how desperate does Gordon want to win next election? If he is sensible he will ease off "dishing out punishment" to middle england and cultivate a nice rather than a dour image. Stopping the expansion of speed cameras and cutting back their numbers by 50% would reduce the conflict between Govt and middle england. But does dour Gordon have the sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 09:18 

Labour lost Leicester South to Lib Dem in a byelection. The guy was in less than 12 months. Harborough stayed Conservative, even after a MASSIVE publicity campaign from the Lib Dems. They even illegaly occupied an empty shop to use as a campaign HQ....that went down well with the locals...not :evil:

The Lib Dem woman running for Harborough wrote to my wife explaining why they thought womens health issues were not being addressed and what they were going to do.....Bad move, my wife is a Nurse in a womens health unit. She wrote a scathing reply to her. The good news is it prompted her to vote just so she could register her protest....good one Lib Dems. Another shot in the foot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 09:38 

JJ wrote:

Seems from this morning's news that he's already on the back foot, with calls being made for him to "come good" on the LibDem promise to abolish QUANGOs, thus he should clearly rid us of the LDNPA (and with it the Windermere Speed Limit). Be interesting to see how he resolves this promise with their stance as "greenies"!

Quote:

Yes Steve, I guess on the face of it having an MP representing an anti-motorist party should make all the jobs for the boys at CSCP a bit safer.

But hang on a minute though - what did they say about abolishing QUANGOs? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 20:52 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
We live in an area which backs onto the Windermere to Oxenholme railway line. Day after day we see virtually empty trains passing backwards and forwards. Only a few trains are well used - at commuter times.
We also see the vast amount of maintainence carried out - nearly every day somebody is working on the line. An internet search has failed to reveal how much subsidy the line receives, but nationally, the figure is thousands of pounds per mile of track!! Surely it is time to stop sentimentally clinging to an old fashioned form of transport, and use the line to form a dedicated bus and cyclepath! At weekends we presently get a bus service, which lacks the expensive infrastructure required by the railway!
On top of this, we have to put up with constant hooting of the train horn as it passes three footpaths at the rear of our property, before returning a few minutes later having stopped at Windermere. I see you are a member of the Lakes Line User Group - how often do YOU use the line? When you get to Windermere, how do you travel on to your destination?

You're sounding abit 'not in my back yard', remember the railway was there well before yourselve. The line provides a good service and needs to be available off peak as well as at peak time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 03:17 
User

The Railway was there, and the law making them sound a horn was introduced in 1970's, but they only just started implementing it in November 2003.

We have three foot crossings (no bridge or gates) within 180 metres. The horn is required to be 120 decibels 5 metres from the trackside, and above 60 decibels 400 metres from the train.
Now ONE hoot at the 1st crossing would be heard at ALL THREE, by LAW, but these jokers hoot TWICE at ALL THREE crossings, despite somebody telling me live on Radio Cumbria (April 2004) that they would tell the drivers to hoot just the once!!

Ironically, the horn is SO loud, it reverberates off the hills and houses, and it is impossible to tell which direction the train is coming from, or how far away it is! Despite the trains run to a timetable, the most obvious safety measure - posting a timetable up next to the crossing - completely escapes them, as does making one crossing serve ALL THREE footpaths, and linking them with a trackside path!
The best scheme yet, is that one of the crossings, presently accessed up a steep slope, then accross fields to a farm yard, is due to be made wheelchair friendly!!!! :shock:
I propose we all hoot our horns, everytime we cross a road junction or crossing, which is not controlled by lights, from 6.10 am, until 10.30 pm, and see how long it is before we get locked up!! :twisted:

Weekend busses replace trains at present, and are fine, and less expensive to run, and DONT have to sound a horn at every road crossing between Windermere and Oxenholme!

There is plenty of width on the track route, to put in place a dedicated coach road, with cycle and footpath, with gentler gradients and great scenery.

W = whistle - the rules date back to the steam age!!!!
Track infrastucture costs thousands of pounds to maintain each year. A minimum of 4 men work on the line somewhere each day.
Most track repairs are carried out at night for safety reasons, and to minimise disruption. However, the line is walked and checked routinely, and all trees and shrubs cut back to reduce leaves on the line. Signalling has to be checked and tested too.

<<<<<<<<< NO NEED!!! >>>>>>>>>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 09:36 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Ironically, the horn is SO loud, it reverberates off the hills and houses, and it is impossible to tell which direction the train is coming from, or how far away it is!

How about this Ernest. If you hear a train whistle (horn, whatever!) THERE IS A TRAIN COMING. Usually it is on the track so get off it! What difference does the direction make. The width of the track is 4' 8 1/2", take 2 steps in a direction that isn't ALONG THE TRACK.

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Despite the trains run to a timetable, the most obvious safety measure - posting a timetable up next to the crossing - completely escapes them, as does making one crossing serve ALL THREE footpaths, and linking them with a trackside path!

No need.
1. Approach the track crossing.
2. Stop before you get inside the 2 long hard things.
3. Look both ways and listen for the absence of a loud whistle (horn, whatever!).
4. No audible of visual evidence of train.
5. Cross the track while listening for a train whistle (horn, whatever!).
6. If you do hear a train whistle (horn, whatever!), take your 2 or 3 steps quicker than you would without the sound as somewhere along those 2 hard things you have just stepped between is a train blowing its whistle (horn, whatever!).
NOTE: DO NOT worry from which direction the sound is coming for the train will most likely be a travellin' toward you from along those 2 hard things in which you have just strayed. Get out of them it hurts.

Ernest Marsh wrote:
I propose we all hoot our horns, everytime we cross a road junction or crossing, which is not controlled by lights, from 6.10 am, until 10.30 pm, and see how long it is before we get locked up!! :twisted:

Yes you would wouldn't you.

I thought that you posted some realm of sense from time to time but you should really take time out to get your doctor to alter your dosage.

PS, picture passed on to railtrack for suitable action regarding trespass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:37 
User

JJ wrote:
No need....

<<snip>>

I thought that you posted some realm of sense from time to time but you should really take time out to get your doctor to alter your dosage.

All the hallmarks of a Steve Callaghan post - facetious, opinionated, pointless and ultimately gutless, once again cowering behind a wall of ambiguity.....

What exactly is your beef here, apart from petty points scoring?

Oh, hang on, that's what you normally do anyway....

:lol:

(edited for typo)

Last edited by r11co on Tue May 10, 2005 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:52 

r11co
Quote:
All the hallmarks of a Steve Callaghan post - facetious, opinionated, pointless and ultimately gutless, once again cowering behind a wall of ambiguity.....

All true, but I would add annoying and trivial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 13:50 
User

:)
Quote:
PS, picture passed on to railtrack for suitable action regarding trespass

Ooh, that post by Ian H regarding my green LED's must have hurt! :wink:
Or maybe it was this:
Ernest Marsh wrote:
Somebody from Windermere phoned in and pointed out that the cameras did'nt actually STOP speeders, but allowed them to continue on their merry way - not sure who THAT was!!

Mole, I wonder if you could change your handle and make it available for somebody for whom it would be more apt? :lol:

Edited to add quote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 14:20 

JJ wrote:

Surely that depends on identifying the people in the picture?

So who are they, or do we have to issue a s.172 request? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 16:59 
User

Just proves how far behind the times "JJ" actually is.

Railtrack ceased to exist 3 years ago.... :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 23:48 
User

It looks like at least three or four of the party are below the age for prosecution!!! :lol: That should'nt worry Steve, who is probably canvassing the Railway Authorities to put cameras on the track as we speak!!
When I next see them, I'll suggest they get some of those Tony Blair masks favoured by the Windermere Action Force, in their fight against the 10 mph limit on Windermere!!! :roll: In fact I might start selling them - during the summer months there are nearly as many walkers on the line as there are passengers on the trains in winter! :o

I see the SRA has gone the same way as Railtrack too, in the last few weeks! :?

Watch this space - I heard a whisper that some residents are getting very cross that the Rail Authority promised to reduce the horn to just one hoot, live on Radio Cumbria, then went back on their word!
Just goes to show some people will say anything on Radio to dodge the real truth of the matter - they cannot do anything about the problem!
One parent with very young children is finding they are being woken by the noise, while another who works nights is searching for a DVD of the Great Train Robbery for ideas :twisted: