Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 20:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 00:38 
User

Steve - I'm no legal expert - Callaghan wrote:
I thought that you posted some realm of sense from time to time but you should really take time out to get your doctor to alter your dosage.

Actually, one of those experts employed by the council whose opinion you favour - SLDC's Environmental Health Officer was in complete agreement with me, and has written to the Rail Authority and the HSE suggesting they follow this advice.
The HSE, in whose name the regulations were introduced, have taken the step of publishing on thier website, an explanation that the Authority has adopted the cheapest option, against the wishes of the HSE.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 01:19 
User

Any Cumbrian locals know where that road is where all the toads keep getting run over so they put signs up?
I just need to go and check up on something.

I havent heard from somebody in a couple of days :o do you think we should be concerned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 08:13 
User

Steve has identified a problem in the safety of these crossings which had not occured to me before!
Steve - I'm no legal expert - Callaghan wrote:
3. Look both ways and listen for the absence of a loud whistle (horn, whatever!).
4. No audible of visual evidence of train

Your average tourist with his Wainright's Guide book, following the footpath, will have NO IDEA what the horn noise is, as there are no signs telling you that a train will hoot as it approaches the crossing!
Following the article in the Gazette and on Radio Cumbria, many locals contacted me to say they had heard the horns, and had no idea of the cause.
At 120 decibels, 5 metres from the SIDE of the track, you can imagine how far away the noise is heard! The company employed by the RSSB had this to say:
AEA Technologies research for the RSSB wrote:
It should be noted that in the trials reported in Reference 1 and 2 the listening panels were not
listening for the horn that was just audible but rather for the one that was most audible. This
has serious implications when assessing audibility at 400 metres as it means that the warning
that was chosen was not the one that was just clearly audible

http://www.rssb.co.uk/pdf/reports/Audibility%20of%20Warning%20Horns%20-%20Final%20Report.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:38 
Life Member
Life Member

JJ wrote:
PS, picture passed on to railtrack for suitable action regarding trespass.

Why don't you just take your standard action, cut the speed limit to 30mph and prosecute the train drivers, they're going too fast, right?