Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 13:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

What is your opinion of motor-cyclists filtering between lanes of traffic?
As a non-biker, I approve if done safely. 18%  18%  [ 28 ]
As a non-biker, I approve if done safely. 18%  18%  [ 28 ]
As a non-biker, I am indifferent 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
As a non-biker, I am indifferent 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
As a non-biker, I approve but only when traffic is totally or virtually stationary. 11%  11%  [ 17 ]
As a non-biker, I approve but only when traffic is totally or virtually stationary. 11%  11%  [ 17 ]
As a non-biker, I disapprove totally. 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
As a non-biker, I disapprove totally. 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
As a biker I approve if done safely, and do so. 16%  16%  [ 25 ]
As a biker I approve if done safely, and do so. 16%  16%  [ 25 ]
As a biker I am indifferent, bot do not personally do so. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
As a biker I am indifferent, bot do not personally do so. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
As a biker, I approve but only when traffic is totally or almost totally stationary. 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
As a biker, I approve but only when traffic is totally or almost totally stationary. 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
As a biker I disapprove totally. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
As a biker I disapprove totally. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
None of the above/a combination (please advise in text) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
None of the above/a combination (please advise in text) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 158
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 04:56 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Not wishing to hijack Patch's important points here (good luck BTW), I was scared witless this morning.

A12 - three-lane dual carriagway between Witham and Hatfield Peverall going London-bound. Unusually free-flowing, but busy. Fast lane (including me) doing about 80, middle lane about 70. Lorry pulls out from slow lane into a reasonable gap in centre lane. I recognise a pinch point for the car in lane 2 ahead and back off a tad (checking mirror). Made no other indications or headlight flashes or anything. In fact it was simply anticipating the inevitable.

From "nowhere" a red and white motor cycle doing about 100-110 slalomed along between lanes 2 & 3 (I was now along side the lorry), to the offside of the car I'd made room for as he was moving back to lane 2. How the bike missed the car I've no idea. Although I didn't do it for that reason (didn't even see the bike before it was level with me), had I not backed off to let the car out and in again but just allowed distances to close up without lifting off (this would've likely worked), the maniac on the bike would have had nowhere to go - other than up in the air off the back of the car returning to lane 2 in front of the lorry.

Why do they do this? It cannot offer significant saving on the journey time. Filtering at 15 - 20 when traffic is stationaryis good progress - saves tens of minutes for sure in a jam. But doing 110 in traffic at 80 is only likely to save seconds in a mile - and what a serious risk.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 16:17 

Roger wrote:
Why do they do this? It cannot offer significant saving on the journey time. Filtering at 15 - 20 when traffic is stationaryis good progress - saves tens of minutes for sure in a jam. But doing 110 in traffic at 80 is only likely to save seconds in a mile - and what a serious risk.

I suppose for the same reason car drivers in endless queues of moving traffic on single carriageway roads try to overtake one vehicle after another.
Because it gives the impression they are making better progress when, in reality, the advantages are minimal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 16:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
My answer - As a non-biker, I approve but only when traffic is totally or virtually stationary.( biker = one who rides a powered bike)

- if i see a bike behind me -when at any form of speed i prefer hm to pass on my off side and on dual c will pull to straddle lanes to let him pass with a wave if needed.
IF stopped/nearly stopped - you can spare a lot more time to look for bikes in the "wrong" place- hence the qualification.
Bloke on a bike --especially the bigger ones are usually well qualified - so will not push it- but will wait till driver sees him.(usually)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 17:01 

I have a theory that many bikers filter at high speeds for the same reasons that bikers overtake in bends.

they start off filtering (overtaking) at a sensible speed and as the speed picks up they increasingly hop the next one and the next one - each time their throtle control is just a little too heavy (which can be 1mm on anything of 600cc+) resulting in a little more speed which makes the gap too small - so they press on to the next one. etc. etc.

secondly 99.9999% of the time they get away with it. "nothing bad happens most of the time, so it must be safe".

lastly many bikers think the speed they choose to filter at is defined by their ability to negotiate the other vehicles. In reality this is far too fast, as I could easily negotiate cars doing 10-15mph at 80. the trouble is I can't react to hazards at that speed, which is why the real speed choice is the one that allows us to react if something goes wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:52 
New User
New User

Hi,

I found this topic interesting and just joined in to share some views, I have passed my license only 18 months ago and done since about 25000 miles, mostly commuting.

reading the posts make me realise that my 'filtering' would be considered as dangerous by most (doing it up to 70mph traffic) and I will act on that.

I used to have a rule to not filter when the traffic is above 60mph (for 'best' conditions) and of course depending on the conditions, large lanes on motorways, weather and visibility, general mood of the traffic, my own tiredeness..., and I would adapt the upper limit of the traffic speed from which I would join the normal lane traffic accordingly.

I always make sure the drivers have noticed me before I pass them and try to never exceed 10/15 mph speed difference although sometimes it seems better if the driver don't notice since I have experienced quite a few time where they actually close the gap right just when I pass, looking in the mirror (that must be some kind of humour...)!
This does not apply of course to the complete twarts who would not even notice a flashing / screaming ambulance or police car behind them for 1 mile or more...

I am curious to have some feedback from other riders on these types of situation:

a stupid one (any number of wheels) tailgating me (less than the 2 seconds rule) when the traffic is heavy and no where to go ( and also most times if the lane clears they would just keep the same speed if you let them pass??), I would filter a few cars to get away, or let him pass if I am in a really good mood...

a lane hoger at 60 / 65 mph when there are miles of queue behind waiting for the road to clear.. (not talking about lorries here)

traffic going on/off (0 to 40mph) with sudden and abrupts slowdown, filtering give a better view of what is going on, but of course, if one lane is actually going at a steady speed I try to join it and stick to it though.

I have also noticed that if you want to filter in a safer way (i.e. driver to notice you before you pass and not take the mickey), an slightly aggressive riding will actually make them a bit more alert and compliant.

Where I got quite puzzled is that when I try to filter in a relaxed way, giving everyone largely anough time to notice me and passing with around 5/10mph speed difference in a traffic going from really slow up to 30/40mph, drivers show much less consideartion and even act stupidly (blocking you or pulling on you as you pass).
It gets so bad sometimes (generaly in poor weather with traffic just stopped or very slow) that I just filter with the full beam on and at lower gear / higher revs all the time to make more noise.

Also, this is after a few close calls at low speed (<30mph) , that I got fed up with people changing lane / puting the indicator maybe/ then looking possibly and all those who obviously can't be bothered to notice, that I removed the baffle of the Remus can and it certainly works better (apart from the sick ones).

I forgot to mention but of course I ride with the dipped beam all the time.

cheers,

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 17:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

What is the point in having a bike if you just sit in queues? I don't see why it can't be taught as a skill in advanced motorcycling courses. It could be argued that filtering fast moving traffic is safer than filtering through slow moving queues, a car doing 80 isn't going to make sudden lane changes like one doing 5 mph can. Going faster, you're not lurking a somebodys blind spot for long enough to not get seen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:23 
User

interestingly enough i have recently joined some biker forums and i am hoping to get someone to put me on a bike so i can learn how to make their lives easier on the road

in slow moving traffic i try to help them pass safely by moving over a bit. let them get on with it. i gain nothing from holding a bike up behind me so i would rather see them pass safely and get on their way. they should however be passing at a responsible speed though, not too fast!
in normal paced or fast traffic they should overtake properly though ie using the next lane to overtake.
conversely if its single lane they are going to pass me if they want to so i try to help them by riding the nearside line and giving them a left wink when its clear to overtake.

generally speaking i like bikers and i regard them as having better skills than the average car driver (i do recognise that most people here are better than average car drivers and i also recognise that some bikers let the others down just the same as truckers etc. we all have our black sheep. except car drivers who are mostly black sheep and have the less common white sheep :D )

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 14:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

At what speed does 'filtering' become undertaking :? :roll: