Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SAFETY FIRST?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 23:12 
User

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/4709123.stm
Yet another fatality which could not be prevented by SAFETY cameras.
Just a short distance before the Westlinton cross roads site, this horrific crash was caused by a driver who was already banned, uninsured, and had previous convictions for motoring offences.

It seems one of the members of the SAFETY camera partnership must shoulder some the blame for this driver being free to kill.
It's time they spent more time on taking out the real risks to our safety than motorists on the M6 driving at 80 mph!
Quote:
A disqualified driver who killed a father-of-three in a crash while travelling at 120mph has been jailed for nine years.
Noel Young ploughed his Lamborghini sports car so hard into Joseph Powley that his Audi exploded, killing him instantly, Carlisle Crown Court heard.

It's clear that jailing him AFTER he had killed is woefully inadequate.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 23:34 
Police Officer and Member
Police Officer and Member

The tw*t had previously pressured his mate to take the rap.

Incarceration of idiots like Young is the only way to prevent him from killing again.

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:13 
User

Today I had the mother of Danielle Dixon in my shop, having another memorial trophy engraved. The person responsible for her daughters death once again appears to got off lightly for his actions. I feel guilty meeting parents in these circumstances, that as a member of the same society they exist in, I have not been able to stop these dreadful events taking place.

How does an ordinary member of the public like myself get to have a say in how our society is protected from these people? In many cases, the judges and magistrates dont seem to exist in the same universe as us.

Watching Road Wars on Sky the other night, two separate felons, whose actions on film clearly showed what sort of people they were, had skipped bail by the time their case came to court!!!! :x
Ultimately, society will rebel and form lynch mobs if the law does not uphold their rights to a decent society to live in! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 13:57 
Life Member
Life Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Watching Road Wars on Sky the other night, two separate felons, whose actions on film clearly showed what sort of people they were, had skipped bail by the time their case came to court!!!! :x
Ultimately, society will rebel and form lynch mobs if the law does not uphold their rights to a decent society to live in! :oops:

I fail to understand how the law can be so utterly inefficient in cases like this... Those tossers should have had a night in the cells and be in front of the beak first thing next morning. All the evidence was available from the video that was used on TV, forget all the crap about "social reports" and the like, they should have been in jail within 24 hours of committing the offences - that way no chance to skip bail!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 14:20 
User

The more I read of this type of case and this type of vermin scum, the more I realise our laws are really only enforced with money in mind.

If you generally have driven accident free, carefully and considerately but get caught by a camera a handful or so MPH over the limit (and at a speed that most if not all trafpols would not consider 'dangerous') you'll get done and fleeced for SIXTY quid - your insurance will be loaded too (remember, decent people actually do have insurance).

BUT

If you're the sort of arsehole who doen't give two monkies fucks about anyone else except number 1, if you have never had a licence, if you're driving for the 3rd, 4th or 5th time actually ON a ban, if you have never had insurance, if your car doesn't have an MOT or is equiped with the latest in bald tyres and no brakes and you drive it around at 30 or 40 mph in excess of the speed limit everywhere THEN if and when caught the courts will have every tollerance and every leniency. They will try and understand your upbringing and motvation

It is only when some poor bastard dies as outlined in this thread that something of a judge stops fucking around and puts this scum inside - where it belongs.

And for as long as this sort of scum can and does drive around causing mayhem, these pricks at the Scamerati will feel justified in demanding more cameras and more money.

Why don't they lock vermin up who really do abuse the roads???

Cash! As far as the authorities are concerned, money should only flow one way - their way. Why on earth should they spend their budgets on keeping this sort of shitbag in gaol at great expense when they can be 'rehabilitated' in the community: Only when their behaviour actually costs a life do they actually do anything concrete about it.

In the meantime, they will criminalise ordinary people going about their ordinary bisiness because they just want money.

Cash, cash, cash. Get your wallets out, time to pay for justice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 15:31 

PaulF wrote:
If you're the sort of arsehole who doen't give two monkies fucks about anyone else except number 1, if you have never had a licence, if you're driving for the 3rd, 4th or 5th time actually ON a ban, if you have never had insurance, if your car doesn't have an MOT or is equiped with the latest in bald tyres and no brakes and you drive it around at 30 or 40 mph in excess of the speed limit everywhere THEN if and when caught the courts will have every tollerance and every leniency. They will try and understand your upbringing and motvation

It is only when some poor bastard dies as outlined in this thread that something of a judge stops fucking around and puts this scum inside - where it belongs.

And for as long as this sort of scum can and does drive around causing mayhem, these pricks at the Scamerati will feel justified in demanding more cameras and more money.

Why don't they lock vermin up who really do abuse the roads???

For once I ain't going to argue with a word of that Paul, in fact I'm going to add a few of my own.
The authorities (and I'll just lump the lot together in that one term) seem incapable of taking the temperature of the people, and if my own feelings serve as a thermometer, its at boiling point over this and other issues that have come to a head recently. I recently attended court in Shrewsbury as a character witness for a mates daughter who had got herself tangled up with some lowlife scum. Whilst waiting for our session I witnessed a couple of others and wished I'd brought my gun; oxygen thieves everywhere most of whom couldn't keep a respectful or civil tongue in their heads even when up in front of the beak. Of course, they've all been there before and walked away with referals and other such nonsense. So help me god, if someone gave me sanction to take a few of these individuals out I'd have no hesitation in pulling the trigger and I mean that.
And as for driving, well the standard of driving around Telford after 11 o'clock at night beggars belief sometimes :evil: Over the past 48 hours 4 (yes four) young indivduals have lost their lives in two seperate crashes not a mile each from where I live. I have a fair idea how each of them occured, its quite obvious looking at the wreckage of one and the aftermath of the other and teh types of individuals involved, but we're not really supposed to speculate are we :roll: ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 15:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

pogo wrote:
Ernest Marsh wrote:

I fail to understand how the law can be so utterly inefficient in cases like this... Those tossers should have had a night in the cells and be in front of the beak first thing next morning. All the evidence was available from the video that was used on TV, forget all the crap about "social reports" and the like, they should have been in jail within 24 hours of committing the offences - that way no chance to skip bail!

The justice system can manage to move quick enough when it wants to. Take for example the idiot in Portsmouth or Southampton (can't remember which) who made a bomb hoax phone call just after the London bombings - traced, identified, nicked, prosecuted and jailed in about 36 hours or something. Okay, given what was going on at the time it's no surprise they moved fast, but why can't justice act as swiftly when dealing with road going knobheads? They're a far greater danger to the public than an idiot with a telephone and there's been enough tales on these forums about apparent lack of police interest in rocking up to nick 'em when it's easy to do so. Are the powers that be prioritising on the basis of what's currently newsworthy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 21:50 

Have CSCP done any analysis of the times of day (or night) when their "accident clusters" occur? Do most of the fatalities tend to be at night? (I'm guessing there's a resonable chance they are?)

If so, has anyone ever seen a talivan operating at night? I certainly haven't. I've heard Steve huffing and puffing about his night-time laser system but haven't noticed it actually doing anything...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 09:10 
User

Come off it Mole - they spent over a million pounds collecting £1.6 million. Surely you dont expect them to pay overtime as well!!!!! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:52 
User

Location: Ex A590 now Southend-On-Mud, Essex, Now Suffolk border
Ernest Marsh wrote:

I saw that too :roll: Same thing happens on Airport illegal immigrant lands at Heathrow, refuse him entry to the UK, let him go on bail, and surprise surprise they never see him again, until they could be looking for him on the tube :x

This country is run by muppets where political correctness has gone berserk. :x :x :x

EFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 14:04 
User

EFC wrote:

This country is run by muppets where political correctness has gone berserk. :x :x :x

EFC

And how many of you voted for them??? :twisted:

Chris B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 16:18 
User

Location: Ex A590 now Southend-On-Mud, Essex, Now Suffolk border
buckmac wrote:

And how many of you voted for them??? :twisted:

Chris B

Not me for one mate, I would gladly line up all politicians of all colours and mow them down with a bren gun :x

I hate all things politics in this country as they are all as corrupt as each other.

Political correctness has gone mad, and unless we all stand up against it, and do it soon we will all live to regret it. George Orwell was about 20 years out, believe me Tony Blair wants to control us all, and tell us what we are thinking, we need to get rid of him and do it sooner rather than later.

EFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 17:51 
User

I admit that I did in 97, but once I saw what was happening I vowed never again. Tactical voting now, but that just emphasises how few people in this country actually voted for what is still a relatively large majority. They said they would listen now, after the farce of previous "listening to the people" efforts, but no sign of it yet.

Democracy is a complete scam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 19:01 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Today I had the mother of Danielle Dixon in my shop, having another memorial trophy engraved. The person responsible for her daughters death once again appears to got off lightly for his actions. I feel guilty meeting parents in these circumstances, that as a member of the same society they exist in, I have not been able to stop these dreadful events taking place.

How does an ordinary member of the public like myself get to have a say in how our society is protected from these people? In many cases, the judges and magistrates dont seem to exist in the same universe as us.

I totally agree with you Ernest. If we (RoadPeace) were able to spend as much time 'supporting' our members emotionally to come to terms with their grief, as we do trying to sort out the continuous stream of mess conected with the accident, where one foul up after another has happened, then maybe less of them would be going through such a trauma.
I don't want to point the finger of blame in any one direction.........but some are clearly not doing their jobs!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 18:58 
User

Totally agree. And what do we have as the main cure for RTC's - yes, speed cameras. They solve nothing, are totally useless at addressing more that 5% of accident causation, are just cash-collecting quangos run for and by a bunch of muppets with the residue of their ill-gotten gains going to the gov't coffers to be used for what - to subsidise the lives of illegal immigrants and would-be suicide bombers.
The standard of driving in towns late at night is appalling. Drunk and drugged drivers driving like loonies and not a traffic car in sight.
The daughter of my daughter's best friend was killed by a drunk driver in St. Neots at 00-30 hours on Christmas Day 2003. The driver was drunk and driving his BMW like a loony. He got sent down for 6 years, but this was reduced to 5 by the court of appeal - er, why? An 18 year old girl is killed on a pedestrian crossing because one idiot is so drunk he can't see a red traffic light. A young life lost. Just 5 years inside = out after about 2, I guess.
The perceived answer to this carnage - yes, more stupid and useless speed cameras rather than more police and heavier punishment.
And, from the CSCP we get spin lies, obfuscation and, for them, a 'nice little earner'.
It's time the road safety organisations like 'Brake, Roadpeace, T2000, et al, came out and said this in public.
We want proper steps to reduce deaths and injuries, not more stupid cameras to photograph the safe drivers who just happen to be slightly over the posted limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:04 
User

'It's time the road safety organisations like 'Brake, Roadpeace, T2000, et al, came out and said this in public.
We want proper steps to reduce deaths and injuries, not more stupid cameras to photograph the safe drivers who just happen to be slightly over the posted limit.'

I couldn't agree more. The problem we have here at RoadPeace is that we are sub-divided into local groups, and each group has there own feelings/opinions. BUT, I hasten to add that our group RoadPeace NW, think and act on the same thoughts as Safe Speed. It may not make us popular, but what-the-hell. Popularity is not the aim. Common sense is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:05 
User

I know some of you may have difficulty with this, but could we possibly omit the reference to drivers being slightly over the posted limit?

Perhaps it is very much a minority view (maybe just mine alone in fact) but I believe it is possible to be very substantially over the limit and still be safe.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 13:41 
User

Quote:
Perhaps it is very much a minority view (maybe just mine alone in fact) but I believe it is possible to be very substantially over the limit and still be safe.

Not just your view, i agree with that and aim to stick to all limits in red circle, but in NSL i like to "make progress" where safe.

Would also add that if it is only safe to go "slightly" over the limit then why go over it at all? If going to exceed a limit then surely best to drive with a healthy margin and not right up to the maximum safe speed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 14:59 
User

belladonna wrote:
'It's time the road safety organisations like 'Brake, Roadpeace, T2000, et al, came out and said this in public.
We want proper steps to reduce deaths and injuries, not more stupid cameras to photograph the safe drivers who just happen to be slightly over the posted limit.'

I couldn't agree more. The problem we have here at RoadPeace is that we are sub-divided into local groups, and each group has there own feelings/opinions. BUT, I hasten to add that our group RoadPeace NW, think and act on the same thoughts as Safe Speed. It may not make us popular, but what-the-hell. Popularity is not the aim. Common sense is.

Bella, how refreshing to hear that your views do align with so many of us.
There is no doubt in my mind that the politicians were seduced by slick sales patter that told them that if they bought loads of speed cameras they would get road safety 'on-the-cheap' and would be able to scale down the manned traffic patrols which have made the UK road safety figures the best in Europe (although still not good enough).
Now we have the quango 'safety camera partnerships' using all sorts of 'spin' and 'sound-bites' to justify not real improvements, but any figures which may go towards their job preservation and salary enhancement. From the gov't point of view they are successful as they raise lots of cash, but then, the gov't don't really care about lives lost, only the possibility of 'votes lost'. I'm sorry to be cynical, but if this were not so, action would be taken to reduce deaths due to MRSA in our hospitals on an urgent basis. These deaths run at many times the number killed on our roads and most could be prevented. Of course, that would not be self-funding or make a profit immediately, so it doesn't happen, just as increased proper road policing won't happen.
Perhaps I may email you privately on this - would that be OK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 23:57 
User

If the governemt really cared about lives - would notbe figthing for funding in the way I am. Would have nurses and not foreign agency ones and more scans etc.

Traffic police would be out and about in same numbers as prevously too.

Lot of lip service going on, hand wringing, but no actual do !

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.