Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 13:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Just an Observation
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 13:23 
User

HeadOfTheQueue wrote:
I notice that nowhere in the preceding posts has anybody in any way focused on the reasons why I am frequently 'Head of the Queue' and that is because I am in a minority among drivers. That is not an opinion but a statement of fact.

If the majority elected to obey the law then the problem would vanish and the minority who persisted in breaking i would, over time, become social outcasts.

Simple question, do you all observe the speed limits at all times - if not, what exceptions do you make?

Could it be because your driving skills are not sufficient to read the road and instead you place blind faith in speed limits, which have been set in an entirely unscientific manner?

In this case may I suggest that it's time you investigated the truly excellent system of public transport we have in this country.

Paul's 5000+ hours of investigation have shown that in speed terms, its the top and BOTTOM 15% of drivers who are the most dangerous on the roads.

I think by your own admission, you have placed yourself in the category of the most dangerous drivers in the country. Congratulations.

Would you like some of my Troll food Homer? ;)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: To Both...
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 13:25 
Site Admin

Homer wrote:
Right now I'm all out of Troll food.

Yeah. It's looking like that isn't it?

I honestly don't know what is wrong with these people.

It's also frankly amazing that no one ever has a stab at putting up a serious argument in favour of speed enforcement.

I think I'll put "head of the queue" on Troll Alert status.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 14:57 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
[ The law does not prevent exceeding the speed limit, rather it provides for punishment in cases where people are caught so doing.

With the greatest respect, the same is true of the vast majority of crimes: from shoplifting to murder.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 15:09 
Site Admin

Jolly Roger wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:
[ The law does not prevent exceeding the speed limit, rather it provides for punishment in cases where people are caught so doing.

With the greatest respect, the same is true of the vast majority of crimes: from shoplifting to murder.

Absolutely. And thank god it is so. I mentioned it here because I rather felt the the OP was suggesting that the law itself "prevented" (or might in the future prevent) speeding.

I found "A Clockwork Orange" (particularly the book) to be very illuminating on the subject of human choice to obey laws. (At least it was for me when I first read it over 30 years ago - it has coloured my view ever since).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 14:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

headof the queue:

Are you the bloke who boasts he's never had an accident, but caused a thousand? :(

Post subject: Re: To Both...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 07:26 
Camera Partnership Manager

SafeSpeed wrote:
Homer wrote:
Right now I'm all out of Troll food.

Yeah. It's looking like that isn't it?

I honestly don't know what is wrong with these people.

It's also frankly amazing that no one ever has a stab at putting up a serious argument in favour of speed enforcement.

I think I'll put "head of the queue" on Troll Alert status.

I think the arguments put forward are quite reasonable. Get off your high horse and stop this sensitivity towards those who dont agree with you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 07:27 

SafeSpeed wrote:
The law does not prevent exceeding the speed limit, rather it provides for punishment in cases where people are caught so doing.

This has got to be the biggest load of cr*p I've seen you write yet.

How do you suggest it is changed to the former? Get rid of it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 09:32 
User

gameboy wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:
The law does not prevent exceeding the speed limit, rather it provides for punishment in cases where people are caught so doing.

This has got to be the biggest load of cr*p I've seen you write yet.

How do you suggest it is changed to the former? Get rid of it?

And how do YOU propose to make the passing of a law actually PREVENT someone exceeding a speed limit? Paul has the situation accurately summed up, and you seem to disagree regardless. Methinks I smell a troll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:20 
User

Without wishing to feed the troll I just can't resist.

Headofthequeue.

You ask why you should take account of the other drivers wishing to get past.

You may be right that they are idiots and that it shouldn't be allowed. Bu that won't make them go away. Therefore it is in your best interests to mitigate the circumstances in your favour as much as possible, even if this means doing something you feel you shouldn;t have to do.

It's rather like housebreakers. I mean it just shouldn't be allowed and they are some of the worst kind of people. But my thinking that doesn't stop:

1. Housebreakers being there

and

2. Me securing my house at my own expense when I bloomin well shouldn't have to.

Sometimes in life, you have to accept that you're not going to have it your own way.

Post subject: Random Troll Thoughts
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 13:57 
Troll Alert!
Troll Alert!

I have no problem being called a troll although I have to confess that I am not too sure what a troll is (outside of mythology).

Some facts about me (although no doubt it will confirm my troll status);

(1) I have driven for about 35 years, had one accident.when I was 18 and a tourist failed to stop at the stop sign on a junction in town and broadsided me.

(2) I drive at the legal maximum (wearher and road conditions permitting) whenever possible.

(3) I sometines exceed the speed limit on open roads if and when there is no other traffic, when the roads are quiet (usually early in the morning).

(4) To the best of my memory, I have not had to ht the brakes hard for several years.

(5) I rarely check my speedo as I know instinctively if I am doing over the prevailing speed limit - an ability which I would argue actually allows me to pay greaterl attention to the traffic ahead (and behind)..

As far as helping law breakers to overtake, the view seems to be that I reduce speed or take other actions to assist faster traffic to overtake. Sorry but no - if I have a car up my exhaust then I find it only makes matters worse if I reduce speed as that seems to antagonise the pratt at the wheel. If I were to take any other action to encourage overtaking I would then share responsibility for any resulting consequences.

BTW, I drove to Nairn this morning at a steady 60 although road and weather conditions were such that far higher speeds would still have been safe. I had the usual collection of the brain dead passing me - many of them were all of three or fours cars ahead of me in the queue when we got to the traffic lights in Nairn High Street!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 14:05 
User

HeadOfTheQueue wrote:
I have no problem being called a troll although I have to confess that I am not too sure what a troll is (outside of mythology).

Actually, I'm fingering "Gameboy" for Troll status. I have no problem with your posts. Gameboy, on the other hand, is not debating, but rather throwing mud - this is what we mean by "troll".

Post subject: Re: A Lone Dissenter?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 13:11 
User

HeadOfTheQueue wrote:
For what it is worth, I have no problem with speed cameras given that I always stick to the speed limits - my problem is with the standards of driving in the Highlands.

Given that I am one of a very small minority who do actually observe the limits, I am sick to death being tailgated (and overtaken) even within 30MPH zones by dummies who believe that limits are for other drivers. I was driving south last week one evening at my standard 60MPH and by the time I got to Carr-bridge I was posing a serious risk to traffic in that I was at the head of a 9 car procession where 8 of the cars were clearly suffering from frustration. Although the signs says. 'Frustration Causes Accidents', my attitude is 'sod em all' and if they want to do 70+ MPH then I ain't going to help them.

If cameras generate a huge number of pounds in revenues then it can only be because there are huge numbers of drivers who put themselves in the frame to be caught.

The debate on this site is not about speed cameras, safety or tax raising by another name but is simply a bunch of drivers who want to drive at speeds which they consider safe, You either have speed limits and enforce them or scrap them and have a free for all. What does this group want - is it to have limits raised or have them scrapped?

Having said all that, I have to confess to nudging 70MPH on occasions whilst going west at the crack of dawn on roads deserted bar a few stags. Even then, I know that if I am caught it is my decisions and my fault and that there is no excuse.

Heck theres a few contradictions in this guys arguments, and id say a dash of dishonesty and hypocrisy too! :D

Head of the queue wrote:
For what it is worth, I have no problem with speed cameras given that I always stick to the speed limits

Then he says:
head of the queue wrote:
Given that I am one of a very small minority who do actually observe the limits

And after that he says:
head of the queue wrote:
(3) I sometines exceed the speed limit on open roads if and when there is no other traffic, when the roads are quiet (usually early in the morning).

Some time in between
another dubious character wrote:
I think the arguments put forward are quite reasonable. Get off your high horse and stop this sensitivity towards those who dont agree with you.

All of the above gave me a right giggle. Here we have an individual who is the antichrist of good driving practices, but better than that a supposed camera partnership manager (which one? ) agrees with his statements. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 01:21 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

DeltaF wrote:
HeadOfTheQueue wrote:
For what it is worth, I have no problem with speed cameras given that I always stick to the speed limits - my problem is with the standards of driving in the Highlands.

Given that I am one of a very small minority who do actually observe the limits, I am sick to death being tailgated (and overtaken) even within 30MPH zones by dummies who believe that limits are for other drivers. I was driving south last week one evening at my standard 60MPH and by the time I got to Carr-bridge I was posing a serious risk to traffic in that I was at the head of a 9 car procession where 8 of the cars were clearly suffering from frustration. Although the signs says. 'Frustration Causes Accidents', my attitude is 'sod em all' and if they want to do 70+ MPH then I ain't going to help them.

If cameras generate a huge number of pounds in revenues then it can only be because there are huge numbers of drivers who put themselves in the frame to be caught.

The debate on this site is not about speed cameras, safety or tax raising by another name but is simply a bunch of drivers who want to drive at speeds which they consider safe, You either have speed limits and enforce them or scrap them and have a free for all. What does this group want - is it to have limits raised or have them scrapped?

Having said all that, I have to confess to nudging 70MPH on occasions whilst going west at the crack of dawn on roads deserted bar a few stags. Even then, I know that if I am caught it is my decisions and my fault and that there is no excuse.

Heck theres a few contradictions in this guys arguments, and id say a dash of dishonesty and hypocrisy too! :D

Head of the queue wrote:
For what it is worth, I have no problem with speed cameras given that I always stick to the speed limits

Then he says:
head of the queue wrote:
Given that I am one of a very small minority who do actually observe the limits

And after that he says:
head of the queue wrote:

Some time in between
another dubious character wrote:

All of the above gave me a right giggle. Here we have an individual who is the antichrist of good driving practices, but better than that a supposed camera partnership manager (which one? ) agrees with his statements. :oops:

A certain Camera Partnership manager is on his way up to scotland shortly to give them some advice. Is'nt it great!!!! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 01:47 
User

JJ wrote:
A certain Camera Partnership manager is on his way up to scotland shortly to give them some advice. Is'nt it great!!!! :D

Is it the certain one we know, JJ?

Post subject: Unacceptable Limits?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 14:44 
New User
New User

Head of the Queue wrote "If the majority elected to obey the law then the problem would vanish and the minority who persisted in breaking i would, over time, become social outcasts."

I would point out that we live in a democracy! If the majority of people ignore speed limits it is because they do not want to adhere to them for whatever reason and are voting with their right foot.

Whilst it is obviously desirable to minimise death and injury on the road people will not adhere to regulations that they feel are wrong. when the majoriyt believe that they are wrong then it is time, in a democracy, to change the regulations.

I frequently travel the A9 and in some circumstances the 60/70 speed limits are too high but in many instances they are ridiculously low. At five or six in the morning on a dry summer day with no traffice about, and of course being very alert to side roads and other potential hazards, then a much higher speed of 90/100 can be perfectly safe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 22:58 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
From what i read both "JJ" and "Head of the Queue" are both of the same mind. They do not understand the highland mentality -the Redcoats tried that and lost
Ask a Highlander for help - he'll stop all and help you.
Come up behind a highlander on a country road and let him know your'e there - he'll probably pull over and let you past.
Start blowing the horn/ making mad gestures - he'll get a touch of highland blindness.
Courtesy is everything in the highlands. Be nice / respect others - a highlander wil go out of his way to help you. Be brash/ "it's my right" he'l say " help yourself - get stuffed"
Even now after years down south i see car trying to get out of side street --but not pushing- i block traffic to let him /her out - why ? dont know( he/she being nice).
See car pushing out into traffic- i block him -why - inconsiderate pig.
Actually i find when i drive north , that i am constantly "LAST IN THE Queue" - SO WHERE DOES THAT LEAVE ME - I have SAFELEY caught up with pratman (and robin, of cam man, having been out of the highlands for years) and yet i am driving within the law , but faster than these prats. Am i a danger - my record - about 1 milion safe miles/ 10 + NCB =75%- almost 40 years experience . I learned to drive in a city and honed it on roads about 4in wider than a car--with little or no visibility.
I can take on a skidpan if needed, i have done it on te road ,again part of the "highland " school of driving.
Can JJ and "Head of the Queue" match this , ----

its part of the highland upbringing-the best in the world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 23:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
From what i see , JJ AND "HEAD OF THE QUEUE" are large TROLLS LOKING FOR A BITE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 22:33 
New User
New User

SafeSpeed wrote;
[quote]Ultimately we are demandng an urgent return the policies that gave us the safest roads in the world in the first place.[/quote]

What were the policies and when did we have the safest roads in the world?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 22:55 
Site Admin

Bobby Chariot wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote;
Quote:
Ultimately we are demandng an urgent return the policies that gave us the safest roads in the world in the first place.

What were the policies and when did we have the safest roads in the world?

According to the important fatal accident rate figure we overtook Sweden in 1979/80.

Have a lookat: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/roadsafety.html for an outline of the influences leading to the policies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 16:29 
New User
New User

There are many of us who use the A9 as the only viable way of by-passing Scotland from the Northern Ilses. I am guessing that the argument as to whether it is right or wrong to "chug along " at a steady 60mph refers to the strech between Inverness and Perth. I tend to agree with The One in Front, those impatient souls in the queue behind should probably learn to control their restlessness. If I were to let them overtake, as suggested earlier, to prevent them creating an accident what is to say that they willnot cause an accident further down the road. The A9, once blocked, has very few alternative routes. I would much prefer that the accident was behind me than in front and delay my journey by 18hrs or so ( as has happened)