Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 17:25 
User

I wonder how Paul feels about a sub forum for cyclists and cycling issues (which of course will overspill into driving and road safety as well - but perhaps we do need a general two wheeled section for motor and push bikes - just a thought) given that a lot of us ride bikes and mindful of the "us and them" gulf which seems so prevalent and really does undermine road safety.

Anyway - thought I'd post up some general tips for planning a great day out on the push bike and a fave ride around my way (also a wicked drive :twisted: )

This post is to with how to choose a bike and be safe - so road safety biased.

Right - well lot of people seem to choose the wrong bicycle. Lot of accidents caused by choosing the wrong push bike and many drivers just do not understand the different types and even what these bikes are actually capable of with the right rider on board. (Mad Swiss mob are also hoons on a bike as well. :yikes:)

By way of explanation:

Types of bikes

Racers - self explanatory - light, precision built, multigeared and you can really get some speed on these. :twisted: You need some flesh on your backside though - cobbles :yikes:

Tourers - narrow wheels, drop handlebars and multigears. Ideal for cycling holidays and long distance commutes and days out.
Wasted on short journeys though - you never get through the gears!

Mountain Bikes - designed for a bit of rough as well as an urban jungle. You can cycle up steps on these! :shock: without any - er - upsets! :wink: Nice springy tyres and smooth ride. Not for a speed demon though.

City Bike - related to the mountain bike but combines some of the racer inas well. This bike hates off road riding - for tarmac tracers.

Hybrids? Cross countryand these are town and country. Favoured by commuters on whole as upright frame means fairly comfy. You can also ride up steps on these with some practice. :wink: More expensive than the mountain bike itself though.

Utility bike - probably the best commuting type bike as you have an upright position and normal clothes don't get tangled as much. But not a good looking bike.

Traditional Bike - ah - ideal for the lazier cyclist - everything is fitted - mudguards, lights and basket - only it does not go very fast and a bit of a frumpy bike really.

Folding bikes - well great for putting in the boot - but basically you look a right prat on one! :twisted: :lol:

Right - decided on a bike? I'll get Gatsomate and Paulie on a bike yet :P

Cycling with kids

.... this is a nightmare :lol: You can get child seats (Mad Doc tested one and fell off! :lol: - he prefers a trailer as do I. It's safer for balance and you can get the kid to help pedal on hilss! :twisted: on a trailer bicycle which you attach to the rear!

Preparing your bike for a ride

Basic routine - check the wheels for a borken spoke. or excess play in the bearings. You'd be surprised how these feature in mishaps. :roll: :cry:

Check the tyres for pressure and slow punctures, tread- another reason why cyclists can come croppers. :cry:

Ensure brake blocks are firmly in place and not worn and that cables are not too slack.

Lubricate hubs, pedals, gear mechanisms and cables and esnure your lights actually do work and that you have a spare battery in case.

Check the bell and saddle is tight.

Your bike has needs the same loving care as your car! :twisted:

Preparing yourself

Well - we don't really need all that lycra really. It's obvious advantages are the stretchiness, lightness and range of colours and I will admit that that lyrcra can be comfortable once you are used to the feel of the wear. Mad Doc may manage to look OK in his - but I don't think my lycra shorts do that much f to offset my knobbly knees and scars from grappling with felons! If you get gravel rash as well :yikes:

So any casual, practical and comfortable clothing will do basically. Jeans tend to rub so I'd go for cycle legings or non baggy track suit bottoms. (Hopefully cycling lurkers can add their preferences here.)

I also wear fingerless gloves.

In summer - Mad Doc, self and the rest of the Swiss riff raff wear padded cycling shorts or padded undies under conventional shorts and in winter thermal tops and wind/waterproof jackets in colours which make us VISIBLE AT ALL TIMES! At night - reflective strip or sash really helps if you don;t want to wear "lurid"!

Planning your ride

Calculate how long it will take to drive to your start point (or ride there) and think about the terrain you will cover - hilly? off-road? watering holes? picnic spots? unforeseen stops as we all come across those places where you just have to stop and take a look -see and planned places of interest.

What ot take

Map holder - fixed to handlebars.

handlebar bag for drinks and sweeties

back pack or panniers for your picnic? Bag should include a basic tool and repair kit. set of Allen keys, adjustable spanner, and a small screwdriver as minimum basics. Wrap these in a rag which doubles as hand wipe and if you can take spare inner tube as easer than fixing a puncture and in the police kit), universal brake/gear cable, nuts and bolts.

Food - cereal bars, chocs, fruit, water, first aid kit (mini version) rout cards, fold up map of area, change for pay phones and toilets and camera and mobile phone - and I guess you'd be red for the off! :lol:

Have I missed anything? What would you add? Perhaps our more seasoned cycling members would like to come in on this. Especially with how they cope with kids.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 17:38 
User

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3773

Also check out this related thread on cycling safety.

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 17:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

In Gear wrote:
I wonder how Paul feels about a sub forum for cyclists and cycling issues (which of course will overspill into driving and road safety as well - but perhaps we do need a general two wheeled section for motor and push bikes - just a thought) given that a lot of us ride bikes and mindful of the "us and them" gulf which seems so prevalent and really does undermine road safety.

I'm a dedicated non-cyclist and my only interest in bicycles is how best to avoid getting on one* :lol: , so I'm not sure if I really have any right to reply to this. But putting my devil's advocate hat on I have to ask if a seperate forum is going to help break down the "them and us" gulf you mention, or reinforce it. I agree that "them and us" thinking doesn't do anyone any favours, but IMO that's a strong argument for trying to get everyone to think of themselves and others simply as road users, regardless of whether they're on four or two wheels or even just their own two feet.

* Not entirely true - obviously I'm also interested in not knocking any cyclists off or causing them trouble while I'm driving, but I hope that's clear from past posts anyway. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 18:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

wearing the right clothes is very important on longer rides. I can't imagine normal shorts feeling particularly comfortable after 50+ miles. A jersey also gives you somewhere to stash everything without having to lug around a backpack.

I think gloves/glasses are also a must if you're planning on doing anything over walking pace. Gloves as the first thing you do in the event of a spill is put out your hands and glasses make it much easier to see where you're going, especially when it's wet.

If you like your knees, I'd also recommend getting some proper shoes/pedals and having a bike shop set you up properly. I see too many people with their saddles set way too low and their feet at all sorts of crazy angles.

Now, where's the bike p*rn?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 18:34 
User

Gatsobait wrote:
In Gear wrote:

I'm a dedicated non-cyclist and my only interest in bicycles is how best to avoid getting on one* :lol: ,

Not even slightly tempted? :lol: :lol: :lol: One of the ultimate experiences is riding down steps :lol: Admit - riding up them is another matter (humph - feel me age there!) :shock:

Quote:
so I'm not sure if I really have any right to reply to this. But putting my devil's advocate hat on I have to ask if a seperate forum is going to help break down the "them and us" gulf you mention, or reinforce it. I agree that "them and us" thinking doesn't do anyone any favours, but IMO that's a strong argument for trying to get everyone to think of themselves and others simply as road users, regardless of whether they're on four or two wheels or even just their own two feet.

True - perhaps better to leave in General Chat rather than a sub forum which treats as separating entity when we should be integrating more as road users with a common safety led interest .

But just wondered if someone looking for a real road safety slant on riding a bike may find easier to find common sense cycling safety tips and how to share the road properly without tree hugging nonsense seen elsewhere.

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 18:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

In Gear wrote:
Not even slightly tempted? :lol: :lol: :lol: One of the ultimate experiences is riding down steps :lol: Admit - riding up them is another matter (humph - feel me age there!) :shock:

If the good Lord had meant me to go down steps on a bicycle we wouldn't have escalators :P . And parts of my anatomy would be located elsewhere. :o :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 02:09 

In Gear wrote:
Have I missed anything?

Helmet?

Are they always recomended? Different types available?

I need to cycle more. No, I want to cycle more. I should get my bike out again. Except this time actually ride it :|

But then, there's nowhere to ride a bike around here. It's all tarmac and bricks and boring stuff like that. Need a nice big forrest. Need to be able to cycle anywhere without fear of it being illegal. Need to move to Australia.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 02:40 
User

Gatsobait wrote:
* Not entirely true - obviously I'm also interested in not knocking any cyclists off or causing them trouble while I'm driving, but I hope that's clear from past posts anyway. :)

I agree - cycles can cause scratches on the paintwork, and in city centre traffic, is likely they'll catch you up and stick their pump where the sun dont shine! :twisted:

Many of us are car drivers AND cyclists, and our experiences help us behave better towards the other whichever mode we're using!

IG you missed out the electric bike!! What's the position regarding insurance/tax etc on these? Can you ride one while serving a ban?
Would Gatsomate consider one???

By the way - Wheelbase is up for sale - parent company is in administration!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 03:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Electric bike? :scratchchin: Mmmmmm nah, thanks all the same. A Segway possibly, but generally I want an engine regardless of the number of wheels (though never ridden a motorbike). And if it hasn't got one I want a sail, preferably on something large enough to have a sitdown with a drink and a bacon buttie. But the first sailing I did was on windsurfers, and in November at that. Believe me, the water temperature was a hell of an incentive to stay on the board. First time I went in the water I went :shock: " :censored: ING HELL" and came back out like a Trident missile. Not the stupidest thing I've ever done in my life, but bloody close. :lol:

:oops: Sorry, back on topic... :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 03:35 
Police Officer and Member
Police Officer and Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:

IG you missed out the electric bike!! What's the position regarding insurance/tax etc on these? Can you ride one while serving a ban?
Would Gatsomate consider one???

By the way - Wheelbase is up for sale - parent company is in administration!

Quote:
ELECTRICALLY ASSISTED PEDAL CYCLES REGULATIONS 1983

A pedal cycle with an electrical motor attached is a motor vehicle unless it is classified by these regulations as a pedal cycle. To qualify as a pedal cycle it must . . . .
    (a) have a kerbside weight not exceeding--
      (i) in the case of a bicycle, other than a tandem bicycle, 40 kilograms, and
      (ii) in the case of a tandem bicycle and a tricycle, 60 kilograms;

(b) be fitted with pedals by means of which it is capable of being propelled; and

(c) be fitted with no motor other than an electric motor which--
      (i) has a continuous rated output which, when installed in the vehicle with the nominal voltage supplied, does not exceed--
        (A) in the case of a bicycle, other than a tandem bicycle, 0.2 kilowatts,
        (B) in the case of a tandem bicycle and a tricycle, 0.25 kilowatts; and
      (ii) cannot propel the vehicle when it is travelling at more than 15 miles per hour.

If a pedal cycle complies with these regulations it must also have:
    a plate attached to it bearing the manufacturer's name along with the rated output/voltage of the battery (in the case of a DIY modification, the person who made the modifications is the manufacturer);
    suitable brakes (up to British Standards);
    a battery that won't leak dangerously;
    an on/off switch for the power.

So if all of these apply, then it is a pedal cycle, otherwise it's a motor vehicle
A driving ban is a disqualification from holding or obtaining a driving licence.
As a pedal cycle does not need a driving licence, then a disqualified driver can ride one of these.

Time for bed

:fastasleep:

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 18:37 
User

Quote:
(c) be fitted with no motor other than an electric motor which--
(i) has a continuous rated output which, when installed in the vehicle with the nominal voltage supplied, does not exceed--
(A) in the case of a bicycle, other than a tandem bicycle, 0.2 kilowatts,
(B) in the case of a tandem bicycle and a tricycle, 0.25 kilowatts;

Are you equiped to measure this then? :lol:
I saw one of these in France with added solar cells. Not designed to propel, but merely charge whenever parked. Howwever, I suspect the output was greater than 0.2 kilowatts!! :)
Dont suppose it would work here re. current weather! ....CURRENT... good eh? :) Oh well, must go and get my plates out the etching bath.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:09 
User

.... you missed 'bents and cruisers from your bikes list. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:40 
User

In Gear wrote:
<snip>

Have I missed anything? What would you add? <snip>

I tend to take a good multitool, failing that a chainsplitter, spoke key and allen keys. Oh yeah, a swiss army-style knife/leatherman-type tool.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 15:07 
User

The bike child seat is the thing from hell! Not easy to fit and kids don't sit still in them either. So balance can be a problem area there. I prefer a trailer on that basis. Our youngest though hates the trailer pram we attached. Not need to sound any bells - you could here us for miles! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Placed her in the car later and quiet gurgles and giggles! This child does not seem to like bicycles. :shock: She also does not seem to like my lycra joggers as she always requires a nappy change when she sits on my lap if wearing them! :lol: Think this little madam already knows her own mind! :shock:

johnsher wrote:
wearing the right clothes is very important on longer rides. I can't imagine normal shorts feeling particularly comfortable after 50+ miles. A jersey also gives you somewhere to stash everything without having to lug around a backpack.

Prefer cycling leggings and a road jersey with lots of pockets.

Quote:

I think gloves/glasses are also a must if you're planning on doing anything over walking pace. Gloves as the first thing you do in the event of a spill is put out your hands and glasses make it much easier to see where you're going, especially when it's wet.

Yup - wear fingerless gloves, with gel filled palms and find glasses also protect eyes against insects as well! :shock: :o :shock: Another good reason for a helmet as IG and self mentioned in the past and Kriss mentioned back at Christmas on C+. Insects - urrgh! Especially in face and hair - urghhh!

Quote:
If you like your knees, I'd also recommend getting some proper shoes/pedals and having a bike shop set you up properly. I see too many people with their saddles set way too low and their feet at all sorts of crazy angles.

Now, where's the bike p*rn?

True - getting saddle and pedals set up properly - like sorting out the driving seat. You have to be comfy and getting it right means your handling of bike is fluent as it should be.

Have a multi tool - has range of spanners and Allens of several sizes. Have a waterproof which lets sweat out and stops water getting in.

Also have a small folding tyre - surprised :o IG did not mention as he has one under his saddle and I add spare bulbs to his list as well. I have a toothbrush in my kit to clean off my bike too - best way to clean it, a tyre lever and a mini wrench and pliers if cycling a distance.

I also give the headset a once over before I go out on my bike too - this deteriorates because it's under constant pressure - always check the brakes by rocking the bike back and forth. IMPORTANT! If there's a clicking sound - a bearing needs attention. I also check bearing every so often any way by lifting the fron wheel off the ground and turning the handlebars slowly and gradually backwards and forwards. This should be super smooth and if it is not - then a bearing needs a replace.

Again - important as think this could be another reason for increased accidents per recent report.

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 15:22 
User

Ist interesting article in this weeks "CW" about music getting the adrenalin und the pedals spinning when on bike rides.

Ist very true what they say about a song taking you back to moment of happiness or moment of sadness. I remember what song was on radio when I receive news of passing my finals, open topest 21 st birthday present many year ago und song on radio as I got ready for my wedding to Ted, und the song on radio just before they announce murder of John Lennon, death of George Harrison,John Peel, Ronnie Barker - und song which was on radio just before that man hit my car. So they say a fave song impact on riding und training. I also think ist true as we learned our times tables in Kindergarten by singing songs too. Und I remember the tune still. :hehe:

So it was with great amusement that I read Lance Armstrong und Chris Hoy und Craig Maclean train to strains of "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk :rotfl:

Chris Hoy listen to this during the warm up session on the speed rollers before race. He also listen to "Dig your Own Hole" (und I think this ist most applicable to certain persons on certain site :rotfl:)

Lance also listen to Sheryl Crow "Run Baby Run :lol: und "Times Like These" by the Foo Fighters.

I tried to ride up on of local hills here to "Running up the Hill" by Kate Bush und "Highway to Hell" by ACDC Is also favourite of Simon Richardon who also listen to "Hounds of Love" und "When Going Get Tough"

Course Kriss will train to Peggy Lee uund jazz. :hehe:

So - to our cyclists on site - what ist fave cycling tune whilst training und commuting :yikes:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 18:34 
Life Member
Life Member

IanH wrote:
A driving ban is a disqualification from holding or obtaining a driving licence.
As a pedal cycle does not need a driving licence, then a disqualified driver can ride one of these.

I read a case where a driver was banned, and the clerk advised him that he was even banned from driving a golf cart on private land, as the ban applies to any motorised vehicle. Of course, this may be wrong as it was a magistrates court.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 18:43 
They can't ban you from driving on private land, they do however advise you not to.

Secondly, i think a separate area for cyclists would be good. The'd be alot of trolling from C+ users however on the whole, cyclists or any two-wheelers would find it beneficial. It would certainly portray a correct image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 19:21 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

johno1066 wrote:
Secondly, i think a separate area for cyclists would be good. The'd be alot of trolling from C+ users however on the whole, cyclists or any two-wheelers would find it beneficial. It would certainly portray a correct image.

Yes, I would support this - I see no conflict of interest between responsible cyclists and responsible drivers (and most of the first group will also be members of the second).

I would be especially interested in discussion of how road infrastructure can be designed to allow safe co-existence of cyclists and motorists.

I always find the Cycling Facility of the Month page amusing but at the same time depressing reading.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 19:22 
User

Zamzara wrote:
IanH wrote:

I read a case where a driver was banned, and the clerk advised him that he was even banned from driving a golf cart on private land, as the ban applies to any motorised vehicle. Of course, this may be wrong as it was a magistrates court.

True - road is defined under s192 (1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 as

Quote:

any highway and any road to which the public has access and includes bridges over which a road passes.

Whether or not the public has access is a question of fact. If only a restricted sectionof the public (members of a club) have access to a road - then that is not enough to make it a road (Blacknmore v CC of Devon & Cornwall 1984) But recently the Divisional Court accepted a magistrates finding that Traflagar Square was a road for purpsoes of s67 and s69 of the RTA 1988 (Sadiku v DPP 2000)

A public place is defined as a place where members of the public are granted access to a place and not as members of a club or result of some special characteristic not shared by public at large. However if the Mad Doc were to hold a summer fete open to the public in his back garden - then his garden would become a public place for the duration of that event.

However the determination of whether or not a place is a public place is up the courts. Such examples include:
    a private caravan site which has been opened to campers (Rodger v Norman 1995)

a school playground used outside shool hours by members of the public (DPP v Coulman 1993)

a multi-storey car park (Bowman v DPP 1991)

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 19:24 
User

ed_m wrote:
.... you missed 'bents and cruisers from your bikes list. :cry:

oops! :oops:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!