Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 20:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 01:42 
User

:yikes: overtaking on bicycle - what on earth? :? :? :shock: :wink:

But it's something we do often on bicycles - overtake other cyclists, pedestrians and parked cars.... and jammed cars in the rush hour :P

Overtaking

Here you need confidence and skill in positioning. Prepare for overtaking as soon as you seen an obstruction and please keep track of what is behind you I reckon you need at least 300 feet on a free flow road to get into opposition and moving out to the right to pass the obstruction ahead. Always look at a stationary car for person or exhaust fumes – dead giveaway in case numpty sets off without looking. :wink:

So quicky quiz time!

There are a lot of issues so feel free to answer any one. If I split them I’d have a lot of threads. – just discuss overtaking parked cars from point of view of cyclists and the questions? Look at them as points to consider in your replies and debates and arguments.. :)

What position should be used for overtaking? Primary or secondary? :?

What is the best distance to make your manoeuvre and how much space should you allow for a parked car? :? :?

How much space should you allow if passing a bus or lorry (stationary?) :shock:

Under what kind of road marking does a cyclist have right of way over following cars? :P

What should you do if you wish to turn right and traffic is flowing in the outer lane as constant? Clues are in listening :wink: and your negotiation :wink: and contact :wink: skilll as well as road position. Try to consider what I am getting at here – do not want to give the answers as I want people to think.

When passing parked cars – where should your hands be and which hand or brake gives you better control of your bike? :wink:

Under what circumstances should you the cyclist NEVER overtake>? :shock:

When for drivers and cyclists alike is an overtake completely pointless? :roll: :roll:

Being overtaken

For drivers on the forum – how savvy are you at overtaking the cyclists? Are you aware of the effects of your trailer or caravan for example? :?

What should cyclists do when being overtaken by a long vehicle on a narrow road? :shock:

Why should a cyclist be wary of overtaking on-coming cars? :yikes: (This is one for drivers to think of!)
:wink:

Plenty there to ponder and collectively - should make for debate on safe overtakes where cyclsits are on the road. :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 05:35 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

In Gear wrote:

[snip}
So quicky quiz time!

Oh goody ;-)
In Gear wrote:
{snip}
What position should be used for overtaking? Primary or secondary? :?

Assuming it's safe to do so, check behind and move progressively toward the centre white line.
In Gear wrote:
What is the best distance to make your manoeuvre and how much space should you allow for a parked car? :? :?

Do it sufficiently early that there are no dramatic steering manouevres required, but don't do it so early that it hampers any following vehicles wanting to go faster who otherwise could complete their overtake (of you and the obstacle) before you need to move out.
In Gear wrote:
How much space should you allow if passing a bus or lorry (stationary?) :shock:

Unless you're absolutely certain it's empty, enough space such that you won't get hit if they fling their door open without warning.
In Gear wrote:
Under what kind of road marking does a cyclist have right of way over following cars? :P

Obviously cycleways, but additionally those daft boxes that have sprung up in front of a lot of urban traffic lights.
In Gear wrote:
What should you do if you wish to turn right and traffic is flowing in the outer lane as constant? Clues are in listening :wink: and your negotiation :wink: and contact :wink: skilll as well as road position. Try to consider what I am getting at here – do not want to give the answers as I want people to think.

This would for me be a situation where I'd pull off to the left shortly before the junction and wait.. and wait... and wait.. until it was clear enough to make my way to the centre line and such that, within a reasonably short period thereafter I could then get across oncoming traffic.
In Gear wrote:
When passing parked cars – where should your hands be and which hand or brake gives you better control of your bike? :wink:

On the handlebar with fingers over the brakes. Rear brake. Don't want to headbutt the tramac ;-)
In Gear wrote:
Under what circumstances should you the cyclist NEVER overtake>? :shock:

At a road junction. Don't want to get taken out by someone turning right from the left edge ;-)
In Gear wrote:
When for drivers and cyclists alike is an overtake completely pointless? :roll: :roll:

When it is abundantly clear that both parties are going to have to stop in a short distance and an overtake just makes both parties brake harder.
In Gear wrote:
Being overtaken

For drivers on the forum – how savvy are you at overtaking the cyclists? Are you aware of the effects of your trailer or caravan for example? :?

They "cut the corner" and sway a bit. They also take cyclists unawares as they don't expect the extra length.
In Gear wrote:
What should cyclists do when being overtaken by a long vehicle on a narrow road? :shock:

They should pull to the side of the road where convenient - just like tractors should. I would stop pedalling with left pedal up and left justify my position as far as reasonably practicalbe.
In Gear wrote:
Why should a cyclist be wary of overtaking on-coming cars? :yikes: (This is one for drivers to think of!)
:wink:

I presume you mean an overtaking situation in progress coming towards you? As a driver I will not do this unless I can get back to my side with a good margin before coming to the bicycle - much more (in time) than I'd feel safe with a car. The main reason being that cyclists are vulnerable to a "suck-in" in the vortex if a car is too close when they pass.
In Gear wrote:
Plenty there to ponder and collectively - should make for debate on safe overtakes where cyclsits are on the road. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 13:04 
User

Roger - you got most right! :lol: L'll let a few more come into debate to see if we can get the three "partials" :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 13:12 

I'd say cover front brake not rear brake.

If an "emergency" arises, then jamming on the rear brake will lock the back wheel, so you trade in most of your control for not much braking in return! Grabbing the front brake will yield a lot of braking, and retain control right up to the point your rear wheel begins to leave the deck.

Ok, if you are cornering at the time then a frantic grab of the front brake may well put you on the deck, but in fairness so would a frantic grab of the rear brake!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 14:31 
User

In Gear wrote:
Roger - you got most right! :lol: L'll let a few more come into debate to see if we can get the three "partials" :wink:

Hmm... ...which were the three "partials" I couldn't see anything wrong with Roger's answers? Except possibly what JT said. I'll always try and cover both brakes, the front for the power, the rear for control.