The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 21:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Traffic Lights!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 13:21 
User

Traffic Signals

This is one to get tempers boiling! :boxedin: :stirthepot:

I love the way Franklin writes, “Traffic Lights are generally liked by cyclists!”

:hehe:– As in “They are for others and not for me” based on what we really see out there! :shock: :? :censored: :banghead:

I would pick the author up on his observation that drivers proceed before :? or after the green light. (We are allowed to - mate – honest. Look it says in the Highway Code. Rule 88 and rules 151-154! )

Ayup – I’ll agree those large numbers of pedestrians who also take advantage of the stop sign – can lead to situations where collisions occur with cyclists! :shock: :( :cry:

OK – so what is our problem on the bike and traffic lights then? None really! Rule of the Highway Code and Traffic Law apply as much to cyclsits as any other road user - and we do fine all red light jumpers here :wink:

Not being seen by other road users!

This is not necessarily because of dark clothes. Blah…. But because the driver could be preoccupied with changing down at lights, watching the other numpty clinging to his rear end and so on. Thus – case of being aware, alert and anticipate the numpty behaviour. :wink:

So back to being conspicuous by good positioning on approach, occupy the primary position – (not to upset the driver– but so’s he sees you! :wink: )

If you want to turn right – centre yourself in the right hand lane. You have to prevent a dangerous overtake and I am hoping our less experienced drivers who come here for some tips will take heed! :wink:

Cyclists are not being Critical mashed muesli munchers (as the Mad Cats call the militia) on this one! :twisted: :twisted: You have to be seen, not be placed in danger from a dodgy overtake

As you approach – like a car driver – be prepared to stop and this means checking your speed and gears on approach. If the lights have been on a green light for some time – then it’s Murphy’s Law that they’ll change before you reach ‘em! :roll: If happens to car drivers – then you can bet a cyclist has less chance of “beating the lights!” :?

Don’t do it. It ‘s just not worth the effort – especially if you then have to brake hard and go over the bars and into another vehicle or road user – and yeah – had that one as a young cop in London! :cry: :( :shock:

Franklin rightly points out that only a foolish :roll: cyclist creeps up the inside of queues at signals and I full agree with this line :yesyes:

Never :nono: pass a bus or long vehicle in the same lane near the head of the queue.

Franklin reminds that cyclists are subject to same rules as all other vehicles on page 85 on his book:

:stop: If signal is red you MUST stop and you can only proceed at green if it is safe to do so. By this we mean the idiotic suicidal :roll: pedestrian who makes the last minute dash :roll: without thinking :roll: and we all have to be aware of the red light jumper :roll: (usually a TWOC i :roll: n many instances)

and we also have to be on the alert for emergency vehicles and allow them to pass if safe to do so.

:soapbox: :listenup:

I do not expect someone to put themselves in danger just because we have the blues and twos going

– we are simply warning you of our presence for safety reasons - and would appreciate you clearing the way as safely and as calmly as you can on being made aware of use by virtue
of lights and sirens. Applies to all road users – including pedestrians!

Especially :roll: :censored: :bangead" pedestrians!

:stop:
A single amber means you stop unless you are so close to the stop line that to stop would cause a collision.

Like the driver – you need to be aware of what is behind you on approach so I would make a quick glance back on approach to all lights in much the same way I use my mirrors when driving and make sure I listen to the sound of that engine as I approach the amber single. :wink:

If I cannot stop – then as in car – I am allowed to go through on the amber. :shock:

:stop:

Red/amber – means STOP!

:wink:
It is just telling you that green will follow and to get ready. Traffic may start to inch on this signal and cyclists should make sure they gain balance and push off sharpish on the green – this ensures you don’t hold up traffic and are less likely to be overtaken at a dangerous point. Stop about 3 or 4 feet from the stop line and please watch out for the pedestrians who wait for the lights to change to green and then cross! :banghead:

Only use filters if you are turning :wink:

That's how you are supposed to behave at lights. I am sure many will post replies that this only happens in the ideal world though. I know Mad Doc was hissing over something he observed the other day and no doubt he'll be on some time to tell you all about it! :twisted:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 16:47 
User

Blimey IG - you writin' a book on cycling then! :lol:

As you mention my hissy fit over the phone to you..... Was on way to work the other day.

In the distance I spot the pelican crossing and it turns to a red signal. Lady with a pram crosses the road along with a five year old and another slightly older child. Another parent with pram and child of about three is on the pavement on my left. A lollipop lady is stood in the middle of this crossing hoisting a huge lolly which says :listenup: STOP

I start to slow down and fully expect the (yeah :banghead: you got it ... the fully kitted out in designer dirty grey "chrome" coloured trendy Assos) "cyclist " to slow and stop as well.

Nope... he accelerates and when he realises he's about to collide with the five year old - he hops onto the pavement and almost knocks down the three year old - I stopped the car to help the upset mother - whose distress I treated with gentle professional calm and managed to calm her shocked screams at the cyclist - and got her smiling again and the little girl told me, very proudly that she will be "One Two Three FOUR" next week!. :lol: :lol:

Cyclist is not one bit apologetic - "no one was hurt and I not a :censored: :censored: BiB - he sneers and rides off before anyone can get further details.

How not to ride a bike! :roll:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 18:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mad Moggie wrote:
How not to ride a bike!

meanwhile while out riding in my designer titanium (not dirty grey :wink: ) trendy assos gear I slowed down and then stopped at a crossing where an old lady was waiting to cross... why isn't she crossing I start to wonder as not one, but two cars whizz by me.

But I guess that's ok because they weren't speeding.

Taking down details would have been pointless - nobody's dead, can't prove anything.

How not to drive a car!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 18:50 
User

Cyclists, like all road going traffic, should abide by the HC. I've often been involved in discussions with RLJs (Red Light Jumpers) and have never been convinced by their arguments.

PS - I'll stick with my Endura, Altura and bottom of the range Shimano gear, Assos is slightly out of my price range!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 19:08 
User

I loathe all red light jumpers with vengeance. Ist no excuse for it.

But I wear range of kit - most of it bought abroad und they have a good range of colours und styles. Ist only here in UK thaat they have no imagination und think "designer label" ist Bees Knees.

Ist only a label which fade in washing machine ;P) :stirthepot:

But must admit - he does look sight in those yellow tights! :rotfl: At least he stop traffic :rotfl: - und does not even need his uniform when geared up in this gear! :rotfl:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 19:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

WildCat wrote:

actually assos gear is top quality stuff. I used to go through several pairs of shorts a year with the 'cheaper' brands. Assos bib-tights might cost around £100/pair but my 2 pairs are not only more comfortable but have lasted nearly 2 years so far (around 15000 miles) and are still going strong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 20:44 
User

johnsher wrote:
WildCat wrote:

actually assos gear is top quality stuff. I used to go through several pairs of shorts a year with the 'cheaper' brands. Assos bib-tights might cost around £100/pair but my 2 pairs are not only more comfortable but have lasted nearly 2 years so far (around 15000 miles) and are still going strong.

I have heard that Assos is one of those rare "designer" brands which actually is worth what you spend on it at least from the point of view of longevity and comfort. I think it only has any kudos (as far the labels go) with other cyclists though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 21:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peyote wrote:
I think it only has any kudos (as far the labels go) with other cyclists though!

none of their stuff is particularly stylish but it all works well. Must be a swiss thing :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 22:46 
User

johnsher wrote:
Assos bib-tights might cost around £100/pair but my 2 pairs are not only more comfortable but have lasted nearly 2 years so far (around 15000 miles) and are still going strong.

No matter how expensive the kit - is it still a problem to to go for a pee when fully kitted though?
I never, ever want to go through the humiliation (not really - cyclists are far from shy!) of trying to 'undress' enough to pee at McDonalds! Neither the bib shorts nor my anatomy took too kindly to it!

ps. Don't ever cycle anywhere and then leave your bike to use public transport home - not on a Saturday night anyway. I felt like the 'only gay in the village' dressed in 'form hugging technical materials' getting off the train at 10pm to walk the 5 miles home. Get a taxi, jogging in cycling shoes is not great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 01:36 
User

hobbes wrote:
johnsher wrote:
Assos bib-tights might cost around £100/pair but my 2 pairs are not only more comfortable but have lasted nearly 2 years so far (around 15000 miles) and are still going strong.

No matter how expensive the kit - is it still a problem to to go for a pee when fully kitted though?

men :roll: :roll: :roll:

Every time I want a pickle in public toilet - have to queue for hours crossing und uncrossing my legs und jumping up und down a lot cos they only have two or three cubicles und we just cannot undo zip und hide behind a tree either ;)

Quote:
I never, ever want to go through the humiliation (not really - cyclists are far from shy!) of trying to 'undress' enough to pee at McDonalds! Neither the bib shorts nor my anatomy took too kindly to it!

You mean the men's don't have stalls at McDonalds? :shock: How you go on for number twos then? :? :shock:
Quote:
ps. Don't ever cycle anywhere and then leave your bike to use public transport home - not on a Saturday night anyway. I felt like the 'only gay in the village' dressed in 'form hugging technical materials' getting off the train at 10pm to walk the 5 miles home. Get a taxi, jogging in cycling shoes is not great!

:rotfl: Take pair of keks in pannier Liebchen. I have wrap over skirt - normal length. Admit the cycling shoes are problem but if planning to ride und leave bike - I use a sensible shoe like plimsoll or trainer. Or take this light pair with me.

Men! :roll: :wink: No common sense und no practical thought process :wink:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 01:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

hobbes wrote:

actually no, bibs stretch just the right amount.

WildCat wrote:
:rotfl: Take pair of keks in pannier Liebchen.

so what's that then? :wink:
I don't think Colnago do pannier mounts...