Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 03:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Filtering
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 13:58 
User

We looked at this in the Motoring Section recently - here's the cyclist version! :wink:

Again - where a cyclist can have some fun :twisted:

Filtering

This requires great care :wink: and you really have to assess the dangers and risk assess and weigh up advantages here. :wink: Normally you overtake on the right and drivers should thus also check mirrors and glance over shoulders for cyclist as well as a biker if they wish to change lane or move to a right turn if stuck in a jam. :roll:

If the roads are congested and there is a danger from oncoming traffic – then a left undertake filter is acceptable for a cyclist! :wink:

However, cyclists have to watch for driver moving to the left as they do not tend to expect an undertake :x :shock: and you also have to watch ofr a passenger alighting from the vehicle – so be aware of the golden rule here :wink:

:listenup: Never filter past traffic which is moving faster than a walking pace – and never pass along the left hand side of a bus (passengers) of HGV unless you are absolutely certain it will not budge in the time it takes you to pass on the left.

On multi-lane roads @yikes: – you are allowed to pass by riding along the lane line – but keep to low gear and be ready to stop at all times during a filter.

However, where cyclists really annoy drivers is when they reach the head of the queue at the junction!

Do not pass the stop line at the lights – it really annoys! :furious: :censored: :furious: And you add to your danger if you are too far to the left as well :roll: :roll: :roll: .

Best place to stop :wink: – in my opinion :wink: is behind the first car in the queue and in a primary position so the chap or chapesse behind can see you! :wink:

Or use the ASL if they are there. :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 14:12 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

As a driver, unless lane markings dictate to the contrary or I am turning right, if in the left (or only) lane going my way, I always get my left rubbers sufficiently close to the kerb to stop a cyclist from even thinking of an undertake.

Some think I am doing this for devilment. I'm not. Often I am the only one in a line to do so. Some even dismount or bump up the kerb and come back down. Others, if the car behind me has left enough room, do a weave out and back in again.

I do this to decrease my risk of any scrapes and to keep the moses lane clear for emergency vehicles. Despite this rationale, it is clear that cyclists detest my positioning by the looks they give me - irrespective of how they choose to get in front of me. :evil:

Should I change this habit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 19:23 
User

i seem to remember last time you posted this roger you were the only one to suggest this was a good idea.

if you are stationary there should be no problem with a cyclist filtering to your left.

a sensible cyclist will hold station to the left between cars as they pull away.

seriously, how many scrapes have you had from cyclists?
what use is keeping the moses lane if no one else is?

keep a normal road positioning, be aware of cyclists to your left when pulling away, maybe even pause to make sure they're clear before you pull off.

if an emergency vehicle appears my experience is that normally everyone creeps forward & across to the left anyway. and of course if you've left a sensible gap to the car ahead you'll be able to do this anyway.

?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 19:30 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I'd forgotten I'd already trodden this path. Apologies Ed - and all. I must look back at the thread. I've not (yet) modifierd my approach, and am still of an open mind. Let me reread - if I can find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 20:06 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Right. I knew I'd discussed it before, but had forgotten it was among such learned folk. I thought it was on one of the other less well informed areas of the internet. My earlier almost identical (to the above) entry is http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 9712#19712

I was certainly in a minority, but I had not seen any logical reasons to modify my behaviour, only emotional ones. However, crucially, I had somehow missed In Gear's post - http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 1617#21617

I will give that one more thought and where appropriate I will sit out further. I am still concerned at them squeezing through though. What if they clip the kerb with the pedal and tip over my way? I can't sit six feet out. If I do I'd stop the motor cyclists filtering up the outside.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Certainly I like to leave space in front. the trouble is on one of the roads I use, there is only room for about 10 cars nose-to-tail at the lights before it spills back to a main road. Leaving tyres and tarmac in front is much more antisocial in such a situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 16:53 
Life Member
Life Member

the trouble with cyclists filtering through moving traffic is too often they don't take account for a motorists comfort zone (the safety margin around the vehicle) being several times larger than their own. many times in traffic travelling at say 10mph and 18 inches from the kerb I'll have a cyclist draw alongside me then casually continue to ride parallel within a couple of inches from my nearside. Whether they expect you to "chicken" out, magically find more roadspace or whether it's just that they're completely unaware of the predicament I don't know.

As for the red light issue, as a driver I actually prefer it if cyclists proceed over so aren't there to impede me when I want to pull away. however as a pedestrian I've come close to punching them in the side of the head before now as they flash through red lights completely ignorant of crossing pedestrians.

Roger- I pull to the kerb if turning left, especially in a bus lane road, otherwise some cretin will frequently try to undertake me intending to proceed straight over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 19:10 
User

I filter on left only if safe to do and if it's too dangerous to overtake. Do not get much experience of this as tend only to cycle around the National Park here. :wink: Ambleside :yikes: - my only serious :censored: - am talking to thicko with Ph.D in thickness at mo' :banghead: in Council over it ...:banghead: He cannot be serious! :roll:

Non- driver ... non cyclist.... grrrrrrrrrrr!

But as with any filtering - question of common sense, judgement and keeping a COAST mindset. :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.