Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 14:09 
User

OK, one of the main gripes that drivers have about cyclists is that many riders completely ignore traffic signals - either because they make a calculation that they will not be hit (I think this is called "gaming" the lights), or because they suffer from the delusion that "they don't apply to me". So, what do we have in place for cyclists, and how could we improve the situation?

1) There are the standard sets of traffic lights, which apply to all traffic (see above).

2) Full-size 3-light sets with the green ball signal replaced with a "bike" stencil, sometimes used where a cycle track crosses a main road. This would be placed on the near side of the crossing. May be push-button operated.

3) 2-light (red, green) sets on the far side of the road, similar to ped signals but with "bike" stencils. Push-button operated.

4) "Toucan" crossings, jointly for ped and cyclist (the discussion as to whether this in itself is a good idea is off-topic for this thread) - the signal can be on the far side, as per a pelican crossing, or on the near side, as per a puffin.

What we need is some sort of signal that conveys the "mandatory" message to cyclists. Do any of the above fit the bill, and if not, what would? Do we simply need an education campaign, or is new hardware what we need?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 14:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

CJB wrote:
What we need is some sort of signal that conveys the "mandatory" message to cyclists.

they all know they're meant to stop, they just think they're above the law - yell out "it's still red" to someone on their way through and see the reaction you get.
I think the only way to fix this is through better enforcement of traffic laws.
Given the number of people driving while on mobiles, fog lights on, driving/cycling through red lights the police could make themselves very busy indeed - if there were enough of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:41 
User

johnsher, absolutely.

Enforce all traffic laws, not just the ones that get your own personal back up! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 13:29 
User

As a cycle user myself, it REALLY pi$$e$ me off that twats on bikes run red lights and use any side of the road they feel inclined to.

If in a car, they wouldn't dream of doing that, and if they did and were broadsided by a juggernaut - entirely their own fault. But put they on a bike, suddenly it's the lorry drivers 'fault' for not seeing them or stopping in time.

Now I'm not for restricting cycle sales, just the promotion of 'cyclists-ed', a la "The Cycling Proficiency Test" run in schools MANY years ago. A sense of pride in the achievement went a LONG way to riding well.

And has anybody else noticed that it's generally not the kids & teens that run the lights, (they use pavements, and don't look when coming out of junctions) it's 30-40 yr olds on shi++y racers - well round here anyway!!

Rant over for now :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 20:24 

johnsher wrote:
CJB wrote:
What we need is some sort of signal that conveys the "mandatory" message to cyclists.

they all know they're meant to stop, they just think they're above the law - yell out "it's still red" to someone on their way through and see the reaction you get.

including on a pedestrian one where all the pedestrians have long since crossed and what should technically be a "flashing amber" phase but they decided to do away with it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 00:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Earl Purple wrote:
one where all the pedestrians have long since crossed and what should technically be a "flashing amber" phase but they decided to do away with it?

unless we now have different shades of red, then yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 00:44 

Personally would never cycle through the red, was taught on cycling proficency as a big no no, and besides do I trust other road user and pedestrians not to do something stupid - not bloody likely !!

Did cycling proficency and child cyclist of the year, not saying what year though !!

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 00:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Perhaps compulsary colour eye test is needed for cycle licence :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 01:16 
User

There is a general disobeying of traffic signals, not just cyclists.

I see about 10% of vehicles speed up when the lights change to Amber. Last week I crossed a light controlled cycle and ped crossing, only to see the car on the first lane I crossed go through the still red light just after my rear wheel had cleared his line.

I guess there is a choice.

Moan about cyclists or get proper road policing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 08:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

B cyclist wrote:
I see about 10% of vehicles speed up when the lights change to Amber.

and don't forget the multitude who think nothing of turning right (or left) on a red light - and I don't mean the ones who were already in the intersection - I mean the half a dozen cars behind them who also go through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 19:35 

The vast majority of pedestrians I nearly hit cross when my light was green.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 20:00 

johnsher wrote:
Earl Purple wrote:
one where all the pedestrians have long since crossed and what should technically be a "flashing amber" phase but they decided to do away with it?

unless we now have different shades of red, then yes.

I guess it's a bit like speed limits. A lot of people break them when they are inappropriate. So the same way a lot of cyclists ignore red lights when they are red for no reason i.e. the cyclist is not giving way to anyone, pedestrian or vehicle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 23:08 
New User
New User

Come on... how many drivers here would disregard lights when safe to do so, if they knew there was virtually no chance of being caught :?:

In my area, they've kindly installed cycle crossings at traffic lights with no cycle phase - the only safe way to cross is when it's safe - whether the lights are with you or not. (South side of Tower Bridge, for anyone who knows it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 23:25 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Cornucopia wrote:
Come on... how many drivers here would disregard lights when safe to do so, if they knew there was virtually no chance of being caught :?:

Very few, I would say - unless the lights appeared to be stuck.

I regularly use a signalised junction where the conflicting traffic when the lights are on red is coming straight towards you, so it is entirely obvious whether there is any or not. There's no red light camera, never seen a copper there. But I would never go through on red, nor have I ever seen anyone else do so.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 22:55 
New User
New User

Cornucopia wrote:
virtually no chance of being caught

No car driver (unless they have cloned plates etc.) is truly in the same situation as a completely anonymous cyclist.

Not making excuses, but think the authorities only have themselves to blame as "anti-car" policies start to affect traffic light sequencing as well as speed cameras, road humps .... What ever happened to the "Green wave"???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 00:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Always thought the traffic light sequence applied to ALL ROAD USERS -

1) - RED - stop
2) - amber - (with red) be prepared ( IF SAFE) TO GO
3) GREEN - PROCEED ONLY IF SAFE TO PROCEED.(BE PREPARED TO GIVE WAY/ GET OUT OF WAY OF COLOUR BLIND/ BLIND IDIOT- OK LAST BIT IS MINE ,AND COMMON SENSE)

At all times proceed WITH CAUTION

Always thought the last bit was the most important, and the most incumbent on road users -

BIT TONGUE IN CHEEK -- IF IT STOPS A CASUALTY - WORTH IT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:19 

And there was I thinking that the traffic light scheme at pedestrian crossings was:

Red: stop
Flashing amber: stop and give way if there are any pedestrians
Green: Go. If there are any pedestrians still on the crossing, you can just run them over..