Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 08:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 05:14 
Site Admin

New guidance: 27th January 2006

All subjects are 'on topic' in this forum EXCEPT driving and road safety issues which belong in other forums.

Existing topics should continue as they are even if they are driving or road safety topics.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 15:35 
Gold Member
Gold Member

What's the motiviation behind this - and are you sure it's a good idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 15:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

(To expand on what I wrote: There's surely a risk of some forum users getting pissed off with other forum users in ways that would never have happened without an "off purpose" forum - imagine something like the way that the intelligent design thread might be in 10 pages.

There are a huge variety of backgrounds on the boards, united by a common interest in road safety. So far we all seem like a civilised bunch :wink: but as the boards become more popular there will be some coming with shorter fuses. Religious debates (although how one anyone with scientific training can actually 'debate' against evolution and keep a straight face is beyond me) and suchlike can only lead to unwanted tension and distract from more useful discussion.

Of course, you could argue the converse, which is that this will lead to a greater sense of community, which is what I assume your motive was...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 16:12 
Site Admin

spankthecrumpet wrote:
(To expand on what I wrote: There's surely a risk of some forum users getting pissed off with other forum users in ways that would never have happened without an "off purpose" forum - imagine something like the way that the intelligent design thread might be in 10 pages.

There are a huge variety of backgrounds on the boards, united by a common interest in road safety. So far we all seem like a civilised bunch :wink: but as the boards become more popular there will be some coming with shorter fuses. Religious debates (although how one anyone with scientific training can actually 'debate' against evolution and keep a straight face is beyond me) and suchlike can only lead to unwanted tension and distract from more useful discussion.

Of course, you could argue the converse, which is that this will lead to a greater sense of community, which is what I assume your motive was...)

The general chat forum has never had any topic limitation. But I noticed an increasing number of road safety topics in here which would have been better in other forums. So the only change was to exclude topics better covered elsewhere from these forums.

If we learn that we can't cope with certain topics, then we could decide to ban them in the future. So far I haven't seen any topic that this community cannot cope with admirably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 17:36 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Paul, only a suggestion, but would it not be easier to move any topics you believe would be better suited in other forums. Sometimes people may not be quite sure which forum to post in, and see the general chat forum as an easy option because they can’t make there mind up which forum is best. I would not be offended if one of my posts was moved because it was better suited to a different forum. I do realise it’s more work for administrators and maybe difficult to monitor. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 17:43 
Site Admin

Dixie wrote:
Paul, only a suggestion, but would it not be easier to move any topics you believe would be better suited in other forums. Sometimes people may not be quite sure which forum to post in, and see the general chat forum as an easy option because they can’t make there mind up which forum is best. I would not be offended if one of my posts was moved because it was better suited to a different forum. I do realise it’s more work for administrators and maybe difficult to monitor. :)

Oh that happens quite a lot, and it's fine. But most folk - and especially high-posting regulars - stick it in the right forum in the first place. I'm just trying to help that process a little bit.