Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 06:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 20:55 
User

Per tonight's "Manchester Evening" - tiny paragaph on page two "NW Today" pool news

A 41 year old is described as in "stable condition" in Hope Hospital following a cycling incident.

It seems he was seriously injured when he skidded off his bike on black ice on Bolton Road - heading towards Chorley (which makes it the A6 ... I think...:scratchchin: or perhaps the A673 where it meets the A6 at Adlington? Perhaps PeterE or anyone down in the 'burbs of Manchester would know this better? :? :? :? )

Anyway - incident happened on Saturday when the cyclist was riding with a party of 20 other cyclists from a local club - and the incident had a domino effect - downing most of them - and this poor chap acquired most of the injuries when bikes and people fell on him...

Er.. um..... accidents do happen and if Fate (my wife calls her Kismet - and to Wildy :neko: - this is a man of course :roll: ) dictates -people sadly suffer.... :roll:

Edited to amend title

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 14:07 
User

Have an update to this story per yesterday's "Bolton Evening News" as supplied to me by one of my sisters who lives down there.

On Page Two - Journalist Paul Keaveney tells us that the crash rider is still critically ill in hospital with severe head injuries (and yes --- he was wearing a helmet)

This story has worryingly similarities to the recent Rhyl tragedy and is a severe broken promise by this government who, after the M11 stranding PROMISED us that ALL ROADS WOULD BE GRITTED :censored: :furious:

Quote:

A row has erupted after a crash involving thirty cyclists left a man fighting for his life.

The accident involved members of the Horwich based Lancashire Road Club at Cholrey New Road, Scholes Bank.

John Martindale (41) was airlifted to the Royal Preston (where one of my pals battled the odds for him and then transferred him back to Hope in Salford to be nearer his family)

"Mr Martindale fractured his skull when the cyclists skidded on black ice mid- last Saturday morning

The cycling club claims Bolton Council had not gritted the road. But the Council claims the road was gritted - and said the accident happened across the boundary in Chorley (LanCASH£re) :roll:

Cllr Hayes (excutive member for Bolton's environmental services) claims that the road was gritted on Friday evening. :roll:

He said "I can confrim the road was gritted on Friday night and it was definitely done right the way along to the Bolton boundary"

Another spokesman says:

"Based on a weather report from the Met Office, an instruction to grit was given and completed prior to midnight.

"We can confirm that the council's approved gritting routes do include Chorley New Road, Horwich to just beyond the boundary at the River Douglas"

:? Microclimate as IG is currently bringing to our attention? :?

Quote:

The River Douglas was the site of this accident. Bolton Council's spokesman said the Council is committed to providing an efficient winter maintenance service but did say that it would be inappropriate to comment further until investigations into the incident were complete.

Members of the Lancashire Road Club say the road was not gritted and they believe they were still on the Bolton side of the County line when they skidded.

John Bellamy (club member) says "There was no grit on that road. I know there was no grit ... you felt it."

Craig Batterbsy was injured in the incident along with his riding fellow Chris Greensdale who was the first to go down in the incident. Both were taken to the Royal Bolton with facial injuries and broken teeth. Mr Battersby also broke a finger in the incident.

Mr Battersby also told the "B.E.N"

"It was definitely not gritted - and there are 30 of us to back this up. We are all experienced cyclists and we can spot road conditions faster than average person."

Hmmmm...... and what if a car had lost control on the 40 mph (I think from memory) stretch... This would have been far worse than the Welsh tragedy.... and too many cyclists would be blaming the poor driver for this again....and failing to bear in mind that any person invilved in any tragic outcome is certainly as traumatised for life as the bereaved - and I do not have much patience for such self centredness.

I would also wonder about the cycling standard of the group despite their wealth of experience - how fast were they riding at the time... were they giving enough space in the bunch? This is a normal 40 mph road (30 mph in the built ups) which links the A6 at Chorley to Bolton - and 30 cyclists would be spread in twos surely along the route... how did 30 topple together in a pile up?

More to the point - how come this did not make "Look North West" and the National headlines?

Sorry all cyclists ... I ride too - so don't get lycra into lathers - tis but questions one has to ask to make some sense of this.

Hard questions to answer certainly does not constitute "anti-cycling" or "blaming cyclists for their accidents".

If this road was NOT gritted or had washed away ..then it is another incident like Rhyl....and we need some answers on this one - as it endangers ALL road users BADLY! We need to look at these two incidents closely and LEARN from them if we are to prevent further tragedies on our roads through black ice and grit failures.

Mr Martindale remains in a critical but now stable condition in Hope Hospital and I am sure all here wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 22:29 
User

Experience tells me that just because the spokesperson SAID the road had been gritted, it doesn't mean that it actually happened.

Desk jockeys have an entirely different perspective on Geography and map reading to the men who drive the gritters.

If they are already claiming it was over the boundary, why so keen to make the point it was gritted Friday night?????

The road NEXT to mine gets gritted, because once upon a time a council foreman lived up there. He died several years ago, but they STILL grit it, although nobody recalls why.
The man in the office says it must be because there are elderly residents - but we have those too - and older ones in council flats. We also have young mothers in the same but they THEN said "It's not a council adopted road." I promised to show them proof, so they said that would not be necessary - but still no gritter visits our street!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 22:40 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Ernest - "how we didn't grit a road"

http://www.therockalltimes.co.uk/2004/0 ... rries.html

Half joke , whole earnest ( no pun intended)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 22:04 
User

Gets even more worrysome ...

M Cooper lives at Scholes Bank and has letter published in the "BEN"'s mailbag page...

Quote:

The cyclists involved int he accident newar the Crown at Horwich have my full sympathy and best wishes for a full recovery. Bieing a runner I know how important it is - soically and well as physically - to do on;es sport and get your "fix".

However, regarding thei allegations about the road not being gritted - I feel I must comment.

I live very near the Crown and I can assure them that the gritters have been along there every night for I don't know how long.

They had certainly been out on the Friday before the accident. Also many cars and bikes had passed along there that morning without any incident.

Hmmm :scratchchin:

No ... not anti-cycling ... but I still wonder how THIRTY experienced cyclists piled into each other....

Surely they were spaced and watching the road ahead. Also ... in my car I can "feel" icy conditions through the steering wheel and general "handling" - and the absence of grip sounds form the wheels... and I do get the same sensation when on my trusty Stinky and the Diamond Back racer.

No disrespect to Messrs Martindale, Battersby and Bellamy (and I certainly wish them a very speedy recovery and return to the exhilaration which all true cyclists recognise) but one does wonder very much about this accident - which involved NO cars, motorbikes, mopeds, lorries, white or any coloured van... and was nowhere near a speed cam either...

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 00:46 
User

Pleased to report that Mr Martindale - the cyclist who received serious head injuries (fractured skull) is making a good recovery/

However the row ovver who gritted what and when is stilll raging per the "Bolton" paper tonight. :roll:

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:34 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mad Moggie wrote:
No ... not anti-cycling ... but I still wonder how THIRTY experienced cyclists piled into each other....

This is a newspaper report. Do we actually know that all thirty went down or was it, more likely, just a group of 30 and some went down?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:16 
Life Member
Life Member

Grit is not magical! You can spread grit and salt and it will work to some element on its own. But it needs cars to make it work toits best effort.

Car tyres are bigger and there are 4 on diferent parts of the road. bike tyres are have a very small footprint and if the front tyre loses grip for just one second the rider can fall.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:50 
User

I'm sorry, but on the odd ocassion I've face planted due to misreading road conditions, whether diesel, mud or ice, I've just taken it on the chin (sorry about pun) and chalked it up to being ENTIRELY my fault for not accounting for the conditions. I'd be lying through my dental implants if I said otherwise.

If 30 experienced riders were in formation, did not one of them at any point think "Ooh, it's a bit nippy this morning better be mindfull of ice then." With a contact patch of about 2 square inches each I'd be thinking about it.
Quote:
Mr Battersby also told the "B.E.N"

"It was definitely not gritted - and there are 30 of us to back this up. We are all experienced cyclists and we can spot road conditions faster than average person."

Obviously not fast enough. If he was a little less arrogant regarding their abilities they may have realised BEFORE the incident that it was freezing / near freezing conditions with no grit on the roads and left a little more room for stopping and manouvering...but that's not 'the way it's done'.

Just another statistic in this countries 'blame culture'. It's not like the council had an unmarked hole in the road or were out throwing sticks into peoples spokes. They should stop whinging and take some &*^$%^£ responsibility for their own safety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 08:54 
User

Well said Hobbes.

I find it reassuring that a cyclist feels the same way as many (predominantly car driving?) members.

I think we would move a long way forward on Road Safety if EVERYONE accepted that ultimately their own safety was their own responsibility.

And accidents WILL happen. Someone will ALWAYS find a way to screw up no matter what precautions are taken on their behalf. That's not an attack on anyone, but it's human nature to make mistakes occassionally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 21:58 
User

Am inclined to agree - hobbes and jamie

John - am going off the local paper's report - but the cyclists say they all collided and they blame the lack of grit. Know from talking to colleagues down there that the chap did receive head injuries - and he was wearing helmet. :shock:

Colleagues do tell me that it would have been worse had he not been wearing a "lid" -OK - so "anecdotal" - and a bit risky to post - despite paper publishing - but - his injuries were in line with people piling on him. :( :cry:

I am delighted to hear he is out of danger and wish him all the very best in any case - regardless of who did what, when, and where.

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING