Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 07:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 15:28 
User

I never thought I would be extolling the virtues of riding in the winter but now I am.

Usually I get a bit fed-up come November with the thought of 4 months of sh*tty weather and sh*tty roads and pounding the same old routes owing to lack of daylight to go anywhere half decent.

So what's good about riding in the winter - much less traffic in tourist areas, excellent views on clear days, less foliage to get in the way of the view, virtually no insects to swallow.

Take last week: Monday 75 miles to Byland Abbey and back (a murky, cold day). Wednesday 65 miles to the reservoirs in Balderdale and Lunedale on a lovely clear day (nippy gale blowing, mind), Friday 60 miles up Swaledale and over the Stang (a bright, cold day).

I've ridden plenty of roads with patches of ice, steep hills included, but a lot of caution and fore-knowledge of where the risky bits are likely to be has meant not a single slide anywhere.

OK there are downsides, like having to wait an hour for the shower while my feet warm up, like spending an hour cleaning the bike after nearly every ride.

Could I even end up looking forward to winter on the bike instead of backwards to the previous summer?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 22:57 
User

A Cyclist wrote:
So what's good about riding in the winter - much less traffic in tourist areas, excellent views on clear days, less foliage to get in the way of the view, virtually no insects to swallow.

Can identify with that .,, I wear sunglasses and a helmet. Kriss told me to try a "full helmet" last summer to stop my swallowing flying ants - but .. it felt "claustrophobic". Yeah - she and Wildy - they ride motorbikes as well so perhaps they are used to this from biker gear .. but somehow - did not feel "right" for me... Besides - there's irona nd other minerals in them insects.. :wink:

Quote:
Take last week: Monday 75 miles to Byland Abbey and back (a murky, cold day). Wednesday 65 miles to the reservoirs in Balderdale and Lunedale on a lovely clear day (nippy gale blowing, mind), Friday 60 miles up Swaledale and over the Stang (a bright, cold day).

Even on a dull day - you are gobsmacked by the sheer beauty of Cumbria.

Quote:
I've ridden plenty of roads with patches of ice, steep hills included, but a lot of caution and fore-knowledge of where the risky bits are likely to be has meant not a single slide anywhere.

Aye Nick - lot to be said for planning and being aware of the weather - adds to the satisfaction of a good ride (and drive as well :wink: )

Quote:

OK there are downsides, like having to wait an hour for the shower while my feet warm up, like spending an hour cleaning the bike after nearly every ride.

Oh - me and Wildy cuddle up in front of the fire - and we usually switch the water heater :wink: :lol: :D on before we set off on a timer so we have hot water to hose the bikes and get into the tub together on return :D :D ... thus - we - um - think one of the litter should be called "bath tub or bubble bath " on this basis :wink:

Quote:
Could I even end up looking forward to winter on the bike instead of backwards to the previous summer?

Am keen photographer - another hobby which this family share as one unit and compete with each other .... :roll: But moody winter landscape scenes - some in a filtered black and white 35 mm can really convey the imposing and almost sinister impact of nature - and good use of a Cokin can really capture the sheer dazzling loveliness of hills bathed in low winter sunlight. These are the photos you can get when on the bike. By the time you've parked up safely - you've lost the moment... :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Profile Send private message