Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:45 
User

Dave Lafferty reports in the "MEN" :lol: :lol:

Only in the UK .. :roll:

A stunt cyclist told GMP to go get on their bikes after they warned him not to ride in Macclesfield town centre.

Charity unicyclist Pete S was given a "stop" order whilst he was standing next to his bike on pedestrianised Mill Street.

:? :? :?

EH? He was not not riding it Officer... Blimey.... crime that low in Macclesfield .. warrants that classic age old line.. :roll:

Pete (21) claims he is not a cyclist when on his unicycle 0- but a pedestrian on wheels as

student logic wrote:
the unicycle like a pedestrian as it has no brakes and no direct drive!

:roll: :roll: Yeah ... not sure I see this ... I do not know much about unicycles or penny farthing riding though - but I don't think I quite understand that. In my mind - he's just the same "danger" as a rollerskater/rollerblader as a "pedestrian on wheels" :wink:

Student Pete protests! He's never been stopped before.

young Pete wrote:

I asked him why he was stopping us. He replied he had seen me riding the unicycle in the pedestrian area and that we were a danger to the pedestrians.

I am hoping for an apology from the officer and would ask he sponsors me form my bikathon in aid of East Cheshire Hospice

Insp Simpson of Cheshire Police wrote:

There has been no prosecution and I think the officer dealt with in appropriately with no fine or fixed penalty - just a "stop" order. We wish the young man luck in his charity event

Yes.. I think all on here do. Very worthy cause.

But how safe is a unicycle? :scratchchin: I've never tried one...

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 15:45 
User

I have tried a unicycle, and I was no good at it, but a few points:

"the unicycle like a pedestrian as it has no brakes and no direct drive!". Well actually all it has is direct drive - the pedals are locked to the wheel so all foot movements translate directly to wheel.

It is nothing like roller skates or skateboards, because a unicycle doesn't build up serious momentum, the fastest that they can typically go is a moderate jogging pace, but they are far more likely to be "stationary" which is more of a case of the wheel moving backwards and forwards on the spot. In fact probably the closest thing that a unicycle is like is a pair of stilts, and about as much danger to other pedestrians, and also about as visible. Even the lowest unicycle will place the rider head and shoulders above everybody else so they should easily see him.

I know Macc fairly well, and a quick check of the map confirms that he had to be in the wide open pedestrianised area at the top of the hill (anywhere else is not exactly suitable for a unicycle as Macc is quite a slopey place). Even on the busiest shopping days there is plenty of space here, and I cannot see how anybody would think that he could be a danger - unless they had some sort of target to meet of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 18:16 
User

We have another article about this rather remarkable young man - he cycle down Snowdon for charity.

I think policeman was a little too hard on him myself. I think I would have been entertained und enchanted by seeing this. After all - we did pay to the circus und were entertained by some really amazing feats on these things. Und in Macclesfield - shoppers got to see for free! :wink:

Mad Doc bring to attention as ist story which he think worthy of comment like yours :lol:

Have not tried one.. it looks like fun 8-) 8-) - und ist skill involved in keeping a balance. 8-)

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 18:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I once visited Mount Evans near Denver, Colorado in April just when the roads were reopened after the winter snows. After going to the top of this 14,000ft peak in a precarious car ride, we stopped at 10,000 ft at a diner for a coffee. Looking out of the window as we huddled over the hot drinks we saw a unicyclist making his way up the peak. My mind was suitably boggled but the Americans seemed to think this was normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 20:25 
User

Well apart from a good sense of balance and co-ordination the two main requirements for a unicyclist appear to be a sense of humour and an alternative outlook on life.... It is not really a practical transport mechanism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 21:36 
User

Rewolf wrote:
Well apart from a good sense of balance and co-ordination the two main requirements for a unicyclist appear to be a sense of humour and an alternative outlook on life.... It is not really a practical transport mechanism.

Depends...I've seen people commuting on them in London (business suit, small rucksack, etc.). If you've got one with a big enough wheel and you're good at it, there seems no reason why you couldn't use one like you'd use a bike.
I can't ride one, by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 23:12 
User

It has to be better than a pogo stick - especially after a heavy breakfast or a bottle of coke!!

I can pogo no handed playing a harmonica, but never tried a uni-cycle. I would love to have a go though! :roll: