Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 19:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 21:30 
Suspended
Suspended

I see that King Ken, is running another traffic expieriment that may be taken up by national government.

Speed limiter on cars controlled by the side of the road.

well done Ken,

Next it will be a switch off that can be controled by the police, (I predict that traffic cops will hate this idea, as they love high speed chases more than raod safety in my opinion)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 21:33 
Life Member
Life Member

The man's a genius, I see he also wants to ban cars over 8 years old (that's S reg) from London.

That's the poor people confined to the 'burbs where they belong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 21:37 
Life Member
Life Member

Johnnytheboy wrote:
The man's a genius, I see he also wants to ban cars over 8 years old (that's S reg) from London.

Well, that gets shot of most of the buses and taxis in London then.
Oh, sorry, it's only cars over 8 years old. Well that's still shot of most of the taxis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 21:41 
Suspended
Suspended

well this is the man who led the Fares fair polocy whilst leader of the GLC, like some-one said "the guys a genuis".
let the plebs catch the bus!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 21:48 
Life Member
Life Member

Have you been to London recently? You'll be shocked to see how many boarded-up shopfronts there are - and all this in the last year or so.
Livingstone will probably go down in history as the man who did to london what Hitler couldn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 21:57 
Suspended
Suspended

Ken doesn't run the whole econamy thats Thatchers son tony(B)liar.

And no I haven't been down to London recenty why on earth would I????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 22:05 
Life Member
Life Member

the sensible majority wrote:
Ken doesn't run the whole econamy

Well, thank God for small mercies! Imagine if he did to the country what he's doing to London. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 07:26 
User

Hmmm!

What happens then to the Vintage car in London.

:shock: :shock:

The Queen's shiny State Fleet of Rollers are all over 8 years old too. :shock:

Oh well - One will just have to catch the bus then. :shock:

He also had some daft idea last year about tourists and photos. Apparently he tried to ban photos... in case a child was in the frame...

Glad I live up here.... :lol:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 08:39 
User

This is the Forth Reich starting now in London.

And TSM ready and willing to start recruiting for the Hitler Youth.

Wake up TSM - you seem to completely fail to see that everything you believe in goes much deeper than you realise. You're buying into all this guff in the simple minded belief that it will remove all the aspects of the country you dont like.

That's not human nature. Humans are greedy, needy and like to enjoy themselves. Restricting something in some place simply moves it somewhere else. Drugs are illegal too. Of course the country doesn't have any problems with drugs now do they???

You seem to completely fail to see that whilst all these pedantic, petty new laws and schemes will achieve nothing towards making problems disappear, they are very effective at reigning people like you a step closer to the type of political regime that good people of this country and others have given their lives to protect against.

What next? The Gestapo mingling with the public looking for anyone who dislikes Ken Livingstone? Are you aware of these exact historical balls-ups?

Adolf Hitler was a person we do not wish to see the likes of again, TSM, but what many fail to realise is that he did not take control of Germany, he was put there, by misguided German people, under the illusion that he would sort out Germany's problems. Go do your homework and think about that.

I'd urge you to give some serious thought to the next restrictive policy announced before giving it your blessings.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 09:16 
User

( I predict that traffic cops will hate this idea, as they love high speed chases more than raod safety in my opinion)

Good lord you are funny. Where did you get that idea from?

Post subject: Human nature
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 19:49 
Suspended
Suspended

On what authority and eviedence do you make statements about human nature???
What is your qualification??

What books can you quote???

Post subject: Re: Human nature
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 20:00 
User

No qualifications on human nature, and I wont quote any books on the matter, as I haven't read any.

I do however have a grasp of reality.

If you wish to ignore my observations on the account that I am unqualified to talk about them, then you should expect everyone on here to ignore your comments on the grounds that you too are unqualified and can quote no reputable sources to substantiate the shite that oozes out of your skull and onto the internet via your keyboard.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 20:01 
User

Well I can't speak for Jamie, but I know a bit about human nature from, errr, being human. I presume it's the same for all of us here. Do we need to read books to have an opinion on everything?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 21:16 
Life Member
Life Member

I see! You can't debate the issues so you resort to ad hominem attacks.

On what authority and evidence do you make all your statements?
What is your qualification?

Quote:

I can think of a good one for you to start with - it's called a dictionary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 21:31 
User

jamie_duff wrote:
This is the Forth Reich starting now in London.

[...]

You seem to completely fail to see that whilst all these pedantic, petty new laws and schemes will achieve nothing towards making problems disappear, they are very effective at reigning people like you a step closer to the type of political regime that good people of this country and others have given their lives to protect against.

What next? The Gestapo mingling with the public looking for anyone who dislikes Ken Livingstone? Are you aware of these exact historical balls-ups?

Adolf Hitler was a person we do not wish to see the likes of again, TSM, but what many fail to realise is that he did not take control of Germany, he was put there, by misguided German people, under the illusion that he would sort out Germany's problems. Go do your homework and think about that.

I'd urge you to give some serious thought to the next restrictive policy announced before giving it your blessings.

Oi - stop committing Godwins :twisted:

At risk of committing one myself, you probably don't realise how close you are. Don't forget that this is the government a few years ago who wanted to microchip all babies at birth (under the guise of reducing baby snatches from maternity units, but I 'spect I know the real reason :( )

If you want a real dose of the frighteners, just do a 'net search for the Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill and if that doesn't worry you, search for the popular alternative name, Abolition of Parliament Bill, and if you're still not worried, search for Nazi Enabling Act and see if you can spot the similarities (if you can't, try the same search without "Nazi").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 23:49 
User

Pete317 wrote:
Have you been to London recently? You'll be shocked to see how many boarded-up shopfronts there are - and all this in the last year or so.
Livingstone will probably go down in history as the man who did to london what Hitler couldn't.

have you heard of Goodwins Law?

Sorry Pete, you lose!

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 08:07 
Life Member
Life Member

handy wrote:

It's Godwins, btw

Yes I have, and what I said has nothing to do with it - unless your interpretation of it is vastly different to anyone else's.

Hitler almost destroyed London - fact, not opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 08:10 
User

handy wrote:
Pete317 wrote:

Sorry Pete, you lose!

<school playground mode>Actually, it's Godwin's Law (definition here), so you lose - ner ner ner</playground mode> :twisted:

Actually, I'm not sure whether Pete has committed a Godwin, and thus whether your invocation is justified. A true Godwin is only committed if the comparison is fallacious. For example, my comparison of NL's Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill with the 1933 Enabling Act that gave Hitler dictatorial power is completely justified - because if you distill the essence of both pieces of legislation you will find they are essentially the same. Thus such a comparison is outside the scope of Godwin's Law. Contrast that to a claim that "so-and-so is a nazi" when you mean that so-and-so is evil rather than a card-carrying member of a neo-nazi organisation.

Going back to Pete's "transgression": Pete didn't say that Red Ken was like Hitler, so he's not making the implied ad-hominem that is almost essential for Godwin's Law to be invoked. Hitler tried deliberately to destroy London but did not succeed. Now, if Pete considers that Ken Livingstone is deliberately trying to destroy London, the comparison is justified, and Godwin's Law has not been satisfied. I don't think that there is an alternative comparison. I did think that perhaps "... go down in history as the man who did to London what the Great Fire failed to do" might work. However, on reflection, the Great Fire was accidental while both Hitler's and Red Ken's actions were/are not!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 08:15 

willcove wrote:
the Great Fire was accidental while both Hitler's and Red Ken's actions were/are not!

It also pretty effectively destroyed London, what's there now is pretty much a rebuild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 08:52 
User

Einion Yrth wrote:
willcove wrote:
the Great Fire was accidental while both Hitler's and Red Ken's actions were/are not!

It also pretty effectively destroyed London, what's there now is pretty much a rebuild.

Both the Great Fire and the Blitz proved that London was more than the buildings that housed its population; it was the people themselves. Hitler galvanised the spirit of London, made Londoners more determined just as the Great Fire did. In contrast, Red Ken seems intent to undermine the very soul of the city ...