Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 16:17 
User

Owing to the recent addition to my family and a recent survey which appears to show that most parents are not well up in the art of child seats .... thought might be an idea to introduce this into the forum....

When you choose a car seat - for example - you are faced with a daunting array in Mothercare, Halfords, The In-Kids Emporium - whatever...

The age ranges are just a rough guide - I found there were huge size differences between four manufacturers for baby seats alone. And course - given the price of the wretched thing - you need room for growth as well. Also make sure it has a seat belt lock to make sure it cannot be pulled out of place.

Essential to follow the instructions to the letter when fitting into the car. They all differ. My new one is nothing like the last one! :roll:

Basically you fit the baby in first. Not as easy as you think. My new daughter wondered what on earth we were doing to her :wink: Cue deafening roar! :roll:

Once we got her actually in this seat - we then secured the harness - with shoulder straps flat and at her shoulders. We ensured there was no slack and then placed a little blanket over her to keep her warm. We then fastened the seat securely in the middle of the back seat facing the rear and youngest kitten was reclining and then gurgling away at a 45 degree angle.

The child seat - follow the manuafacturer's instructions implicitly. Again make sure shoulder straps are at or just below shoulders and that chest clips are level with armpits.

At the moment both our six year old and a four year old foster use booster seats - both these boys need one with a high back as their ears rise above the top of the back seat.

Child is ready to move onto seat belt only when he or she can sit all the way back in the car seat, when his/her knees bend around the edge of the seat in comfort, when the safety belt goes across the shoulder between the neck and arm and when the lap belt touches the thighs.

As a rule of thumb of course! :wink:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 16:30 
User

And when you have securely fixed you kittens into car into their appropriate seat - you are faced with the

"Are we nearly there yet" :roll: (Ours keep telling us to go faster! :lol: )

"I'm bored" :roll: (Ours keep telling us to go faster! :wink: )

"I'm hungry" :roll: (Ours keep telling us to go faster :wink: and Wildy usually has some chocolate)

Have lots of little games here - the best one is the promised prize to who can keep quiet the longest :lol:

Ours play "Spot the speed camera!" :lol: (This can be very useful! :lol: ad it prepares them for later in life! :wink: )

The eldest practise "navigating" and even tell us when and where they think we will need a pitstop!

Then there is looking out for pubs and restaurants with certain names like "The King and Queen/Hare and Hounds/Green Man" etc, sing songs, etc.

Any other ideas for keeping kids amused and preventing the kick against your seat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 16:59 

Mad Moggie wrote:
Any other ideas for keeping kids amused and preventing the kick against your seat?

Buy one of those awful MPVs (Middle-class Popular Vehicles) with the split audio system so they can listen to Dave The Dinosaur whilst you listen to your beloved Jazz :wink:

PS: (Hate the 'oh-so-samey' cars, love the ads)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 22:52 
User

I find Gaffer tape is quite good, both for securing and shutting them up.

My Daughter, when she went onto a booster type seat had this nasty habit of undoing her seatbelt.
Cure?, easy, I heard the belt click undone, so I slowed right down and pulled over to the side, put my 4 ways on, and at about 5mph or less, slammed the anchors on.
She slid forward and into the back of the front seat.
Cruel, Yes, Kind, Yes, Dangerous, No, Did it cure her, YES YES YES, she never did it again.
She's still a little madam now at the age of 12.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 07:23 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Dratsabasti wrote:
She's still a little madam now at the age of 12.

Just think what she'll be like at 16 then :shock:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 17:17 
Camera Partnership Manager
Camera Partnership Manager

Whenever my Grandmother was issued with a new kitten she tied it in a sack and threw it in the river.

Saves the cost of a car seat. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 17:30 
User

itschampionman wrote:
Whenever my Grandmother was issued with a new kitten she tied it in a sack and threw it in the river.

And the prize for tasteful remark of the year goes to ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 17:32 

CJB wrote:
itschampionman wrote:

And the prize for tasteful remark of the year goes to ...

Oh no Soren evolved! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 17:15 
User

itschampionman wrote:

Eee Bah Eckk Chumps Mon!

And there was me thinking you had real road safety issues so close to your heart ......Has too much cycling taken its toll and damaged your tackle then :shock:

Thought you might have had something constructive to say - after all - most of your posts keep telling me to slow down as I need to "think of the children!" and "Kill my speed - not kill a child" etc, etc.....

But Chumps, my little mouse potato, never a good idea to toy with a cat ! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 23:10 

itschampionman wrote:

I fear your analysis of the situation clearly indicates your intellectual capacity is below that necessary to carry out the required logical analysis to make a sensible statement......... :lol: