Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 22:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 08:53 

Just got back from the USA. The fifth time this year. Went to Pennsylvania, Illinois, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and Kansas. Did about 1500 miles by car and another 350 on a motorcycle.

Things I notice over there:-
*Undertaking. Great. No constant lane changing through lane hogging. You have got to try it to see the benefits
*Turning right on a red. Cuts congestion at the traffic lights
*W i d e parking bays
*Cheap fuel ($1.88/gallon)
*There were signs up saying if there was a non injury accident the vehicles must be cleared off the carriage way. Not like here where d*ck heads get out and exchange documents in the fast lane of the motorway.!

But the best one of all was the variable speed limits. In school areas there were ordinary speed limits (between 35 and 55) but there were 25mph signs with warning lights. When the lights are flashing the 25 limit applies. That is for about 2 hours per day in term time. I went down a highway one day and the traffic was flowing freely at 55 mph.. The on the way back the lights were flashing and all the traffic was flowing at exactly 25 mph. There was no enforcement!

It just goes to show that when the limits are sensible and for a reason people observe them.

BTW...Saw my first roundabout in the US! Highway 30 in Pennsylvania :shock:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:58 
Banned
Banned

Gizmo wrote:
Just got back from the USA. The fifth time this year. Went to Pennsylvania, Illinois, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and Kansas.

*Undertaking. Great. No constant lane changing through lane hogging.

It's not often I see eye to eye with you, Gizmo, but this time I do. There is something to be said for that way of driving, but would it work here? I really don't know, but it works well for for long distance driving and for congested driving too.

As for the price of 'gas', it really hurts when you come back here after a spell over there. But then, they have no proper health system and many people have to live in caravans (!), so I guess Canada is the best bet. Nobody there lives in caravans (you'd freeze to death) and they have a better system of health and education than here. The price of gas is a little higher, but still half the price of petrol here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 17:14 

basingwerk wrote:
It's not often I see eye to eye with you, Gizmo, but this time I do.
:wink:

Profile Send private message