Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 07:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 14:44 

I live in North Cambridgeshire, and have noticed several of the Electronic "Slow Down" type signs appearing in the area (Alconbury, St Neots, Kelpie Boat Yard, A1 North plus severl others).

I read the Safespeed reports on the effectiveness of these signs, and I have to agree. Camera's do slow us down (especially after getting a ticket) but these signs are highly visible, and slow you down in good time, without panic, and bad feeling toward the police, or so called Partnerships. Most of us middle aged types dont want to drive dangerousely, we usually have kids, (which does focus the mind) but keep getting nicked on dual carriagways at 10mph over the limit on a sunday night (3 times for me in the last 2 yrs, although no accidents in over 700K miles on the Road)

Is there a move towards these signs? Are they measuring the before and after speeds? I havnt seen many / any new camera's lately on my normal routes. Have they seen the light?

These signs are all well placed, either in build up area's with poor visability or in the case on the A1, the most vicious S bend I know on a dual carriageway. This is good policing, and encourages safe driving, rather than resentment.

I hope to see more of these, rather than my fear of losing my job each day I get into the car.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 17:51 
User

I think that it is not surprising that electronic warning signs are more effective at illiciting a positive reaction from the driver than speed cameras and that the effect does not 'wear off'. It's about respect. Show respect and you will get respect back. Disrespect breads resentment and contempt. Putting up a speed camera is not a respectful way of reminding drivers to slow down for a hazard, it represents a threat. On the other hand flashing up a meaningful warning message that informs of a specific type of danger is rightly perceived as well-meaning, helpful and respectful and receives more cooperation.

How about these specific warnings:
Danger! Hiden junction ahead.
Danger! Sharp bend.
Danger! Children playing.
Danger! Accident blackspot ahead.
Danger! Maintain safe distance.
etc etc

I have experienced one of these - on A233 at Biggin Hill that warns of a sharp bend (actually the danger is that plus several concealed junctions in the immediate vicinity). I used to see evidence of accidents at that bend at alarmingly regular intervals on my daily commute (1998-2001). I commuted along that road again since the electronic sign was installed (may 2003-aug2004) and this time I didn't see any accidents. Not conclusive of course but promising (I have noticed no other changes to the road layout or the amount of traffic). A little further up the same road accidents are still all too frequent at the Keston bends. There are no electronic signs there.

regards
ad

Profile Send private message