The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: bells
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 22:52 
User

Hi Moggie

Two things.

1. I never cycle on pavements. IMV those who do are mostly morons and/or not competent to ride on roads in the first place. I have however several times come close to mowing down pedestrians who assume that if there is no engine noise, it must be safe to step off the pavement. One was a blind man, for whom I have much sympathy.

2. When there is an issue with pedestrians, I have always found that a shout and/or "squeaky brakes" does the trick. In the days when I did use a bell, there was sometimes an angry response - as when drivers toot their horns. (A threat rather than a warning.)

Your comment that this is "wildly already posted" says a lot about the Times. I was aware that this was an issue, but merely wanted to draw attention to the venerable newspaper's latest attempt at objective journalism. :lol:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: bells
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 19:56 
User

Hi Brian

nedsram wrote:
Hi Moggie

Two things.

1. I never cycle on pavements. IMV those who do are mostly morons and/or not competent to ride on roads in the first place. I have however several times come close to mowing down pedestrians who assume that if there is no engine noise, it must be safe to step off the pavement. One was a blind man, for whom I have much sympathy.

Why I do tinkle on my bell and shout - but not aggressively. Like the horn - there's the "toot-toot" and the "B_-L=lllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeP-P!" Like there's a difference between the "Yoo-Hoo" shout to get attention and the aggressive shouting - and gestures. I think most out there are adult enough to know the difference - at least I hope os :wink: :shock: :?

Guy who barged past me last year fell into the moronic category.. :( . As siad .. I never heard him .. was on the pavement and he just pushed past me. Lost my balance - and I'm fairly fit - though I say so myself :wink: Well - I can ride the distance over the hills around here :lol: anyway ... Hearing sharp enough :rotfl: to catch my children;s mutterings when I say NO or refuse to increase allowances or buy something craved for as a peer pressured fad. :roll: (It's on the lines of "old fart.. skinflint.. scrooge... and some "rudey" German words for which I hold wifey Wildy :neko: totally responsible. :lol: )

Quote:
2. When there is an issue with pedestrians, I have always found that a shout and/or "squeaky brakes" does the trick. In the days when I did use a bell, there was sometimes an angry response - as when drivers toot their horns. (A threat rather than a warning.)

As said a "toot-toot" or a "tinkly tink" and a smile usually helps - I make a point of the cheesy beam and try the friendly nod, eye contact and a :thumbsup: :bighand: whenever I can.

Quote:
Your comment that this is "wildly already posted" says a lot about the Times. I was aware that this was an issue, but merely wanted to draw attention to the venerable newspaper's latest attempt at objective journalism. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotfl:

I meant that Wildy :neko: , , my lovely, eccentric wife had posted up the story already.

I thought she was going to title it "All the More to Fleece You My Dear" - but she has this habit of using "Liebchen" and gather she changed it at point of posting as BC gets his lycra into a right old twist over it all. 8-) :lol:

PS the excessive use of smilies is for his benefit :lol: 8-) :D :shock: :twisted: :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 23:14 
User

I have a pump up air horn, which makes even drivers take notice. However, when pedestrians step out in front of you, it is sometimes wise not to scare them to death if they are elderly, in case they fall down in front of you!

Anyone who looks like they still have all their own hair/teeth however gets full blast for their benefit and mine. Nobody has ever been upset about it that did'nt need upsetting! :lol:
My only problem is that between work and home is a riding stable, and when horses are on the path in front of you, I'm never sure whether to alert them from a way back, or take to the road and avoid them altogether. A shout in good time is my usual ploy, and it's worked so far.
Interesting to learn that supplying a bike with bell fitted, can include taping a bag under the seat with it in! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 21:18 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
I have a pump up air horn, which makes even drivers take notice. However, when pedestrians step out in front of you, it is sometimes wise not to scare them to death if they are elderly, in case they fall down in front of you!

I once had a Tandy pressure horn. No doubt it contributed to global warming. However it scared the life out of a bus driver who started to turn right out of a side road as I was turning right into it! Unfortunately it didn't work in cold weather - although that's less of an issue these days, partly because of the solvents used in pressure horns. :) Eventually I made the mistake of leaving it on the bike whilst unattended and somebody nicked it. :cry:

Where pedestrians are concerned, some combination of a whistle, squeaky brake or "watch out!!" usually works. No I'll get a bell, so that somebody can nick that as well next time I leave the bike unattended. :evil:

BTW I have no idea why my reply started a new thread. Maybe I hit the wrong button. :wink: