It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Phone Penalties!?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 22:13 
New User
New User

Interesting story from today's news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6287005.stm

In particular the following quote shows surprising insight.
Quote:
"But the trouble with changes like this coming from ministers in ivory towers is that they have left our roads to be policed by speed cameras rather than real traffic officers - and so people will carry on getting away with offences like this."

That said, it is from the shadow transport secretary so his sentiments hold very little meaning as he's just playing the tune the public want to hear.

Not that I am cynical about our political system what so ever. :roll:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 23:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

how many points will you get for texting while riding a motorcycle?

The reason I ask is just before xmas I was walking home in the wee small hours through sunny Southend when an R reg Fireblade rode toward me, the rider was texting. I though it was a one off and put it down to being very drunk.

But I saw him again yesterday and he was texting again.... now, you would have to say that a certain amount of skill is required to ride a 900cc sports bike and text with your left had (right hand throttle non bikers) while not crashing. He's clearly good at what he does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 23:59 
New User
New User

That certainly does sound rather skilled.

I'll admit that I have sent the odd one word tx reply when phone has been in a map holder, but thats much simpler than actually holding it whilst riding.

I guess they wouldn't think to include it though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 00:15 
User

Micah wrote:
Interesting story from today's news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6287005.stm

In particular the following quote shows surprising insight.
Quote:
"But the trouble with changes like this coming from ministers in ivory towers is that they have left our roads to be policed by speed cameras rather than real traffic officers - and so people will carry on getting away with offences like this."

That said, it is from the shadow transport secretary so his sentiments hold very little meaning as he's just playing the tune the public want to hear.

Not that I am cynical about our political system what so ever. :roll:

I would just warn folk not to use one in Co Durham or N. Yorks. Tis a twee old fashioned style we have up in these "'eathen parts" :twisted: or God's own country.. :wink: whichever "God or police force :wink: " goes with you :wink: :boxedin:

(Been rehearsing with the choir .. hymns. this time.. :wink: For benefit of the lurks.. these are traditional hymns as sung when great composers like Vivaldi and bach were lads :wink: After an evening of singing His praises .. it kinda gets under the skin :lol: )

But seriously.. our lads and lasses seem to have "inner radar" :yikes: as regards the moving traffic and mobile phone offences :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 00:55 

Micah wrote:
That certainly does sound rather skilled.

I'll admit that I have sent the odd one word tx reply when phone has been in a map holder, but thats much simpler than actually holding it whilst riding.

I guess they wouldn't think to include it though.

I think the stupid mobile phone law would include this, as it is an "interactive communication function". But was he 'driving dangerously'?

Here is the stupid law: The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use)(Amendment)(No. 4) Regulations 2003. Good name, huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 01:31 
New User
New User

Ziltro wrote:

The name is about as good as paragraphs one through six. Excessively long, drawn out and dull.

What ever happend to brevity?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 09:17 
User

Ziltro wrote:
I think the stupid mobile phone law would include this, as it is an "interactive communication function". But was he 'driving dangerously'?

Here is the stupid law: The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use)(Amendment)(No. 4) Regulations 2003. Good name, huh?

I note that the new law has removed the "loophole" that theoretically allowed most mobile phones to be used hand-held because, under the old legislation, they were technically two-way radios. This one bans the use of hand-held mobile phones or a device, other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data. However, since it does not explicitly define "mobile phone", which probably means that the old definition still applies and a "mobile phone" is "a device, other than a two-way radio ..." and the definition of "two-way radio" seems to include Bluetooth and WiFi equipped phones.

Interestingly, either the old loophole remains or this new law seems to ban the use of Tetra equipment by the police - because there is no explicit exemption and Tetra is mobile telephony.

You couldn't make it up :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 16:55 

There is a new law? That's the latest one I know of. I thought they were just changing the penalty?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 17:52 
User

Ziltro wrote:
There is a new law? That's the latest one I know of. I thought they were just changing the penalty?

Quote:
2. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 F2 are amended by inserting after regulation 109—

So, It's an addition rather than something that replaces existing regulations. However, when we had the conversation in this thread, AFAICT, the legislation defined a mobile phone as "a device other than a two-way radio..." and so it looks like they've changed the 2003 legislation to replace the old S110 with a new version.

So, this might mean that police use of any hand-held mobile phone (including Tetra) is now unlawful even if it is being used as a two-way radio at the time.

BTW, where's the legislation that revokes the old S110? If there is none, does that mean we have two (contradictory) versions of the same law currently in force?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 18:00 

What I mean is is there a new law since "The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use)(Amendment)(No. 4) Regulations 2003"? Because before that is wasn't illegal to use a mobile phone while driving, so long as you did it safely. (or that's how I understand it)
Now it's illegal to do it safely. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 18:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

anyone know where these stats (quoted from here) came from?

Quote:
in 2005, 13 people were killed, and 400 seriously injured, in vehicle accidents related to mobile phone use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 18:45 
User

adam.L wrote:
But I saw him again yesterday and he was texting again.... now, you would have to say that a certain amount of skill is required to ride a 900cc sports bike and text with your left had (right hand throttle non bikers) while not crashing. He's clearly good at what he does.

If he does while wheelying then ill be impressed. :D

Believe nothing- Question everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 19:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

DeltaF wrote:
adam.L wrote:

If he does while wheelying then ill be impressed. :D

as he went past he started a filtering manouver, couldn't tell weather or not the phone had been put, errr, in a holder or his pocket by this time.