Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 17:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Over Zealous Officials
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Following the "apple incident" how about this from the local paper last night.

A disabled driver left his car overnight in the special disabled parking space provided for him outside his house. The car was displaying the blue badge etc. correctly. The overnight frost then covered all the car windows. Early the next morning a council parking officer gave him a ticket for failure to display the correct badges as they were obscured by the frost.

A neighbour saw this happening and ran out to remonstrate with the warden but was told "Its too late, I've written it out now."

And people wonder why we have lost repsect for authority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:15 
New User
New User

A few years ago doing a recovery job at an accident scene I was almost given a parking ticket.
I was there at the request of the police, had my ambers on, the tilt & slide on the road & the car on the winch, the situation was obvious enough, even a parking warden, but had it not been for the fact I was able to point out the local newspaper office was close enough for them to be able to get a photo of him doing such a stupid thing, I'm sure he would have issued it.
I have no problems with parking wardens or traffic wardens, if they do their job properly, our town & city roads will not only flow easier, but also be safer, BUT why do they not employ parking wardens with brain cells ?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:19 
Life Member
Life Member

They do employ parking wardens with brain cells, it just depends on which one's using it at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 13:45 
Life Member
Life Member

malcolmw wrote:
Following the "apple incident" how about this from the local paper last night.

A disabled driver left his car overnight in the special disabled parking space provided for him outside his house. The car was displaying the blue badge etc. correctly. The overnight frost then covered all the car windows. Early the next morning a council parking officer gave him a ticket for failure to display the correct badges as they were obscured by the frost.

A neighbour saw this happening and ran out to remonstrate with the warden but was told "Its too late, I've written it out now."

And people wonder why we have lost repsect for authority.

See, this kind of thing is a major bee in my bonnet. If they're going to go after drivers for 'perverting the course of justice' for giving incorrect information, surely to be consistent they would have to go after this kind of thing too? The guy has issued the ticket whilst being completely reckless as to whether it was truthful or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 13:56 

Serge wrote:
They do employ parking wardens with brain cells, it just depends on which one's using it at the time.

Some councils (London) give a "bonus" for the number of tickets issued. This has lead to an increase in the number of complaints for illegal ticketing. Now they are moving to a scheme where they get a bonus for "valid" tickets only.. :shock: Still wrong though. imagine what would happen if a PC got a bonus for the number of NIPs he issued. We would all get busted for having our radios turned up to loud.. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 14:32 
User

Serge wrote:

:lol: The award for the funniest post of the day. I almost split my sides laughing :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 15:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

London was okay when it was mainly traffic waredns. Their job was to keep the roads clear, and they didn't always have to give a ticket to do that. Now the council employed parking nazis are everywhere the first choice is always ticket. :roll: Second choice is clamp the thing and third is take it away. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 22:08 
Suspended
Suspended

Serge wrote:

They are clever all right :!:

Picking up some parking dispensation about 2 months ago from charing cross P station, as my trucks were working in central London.

Parked on the meter outside, put £2.00 in, just in case. Police reception were busy with some foriegners, which took ages.

Got outside, with my parking dispensation in hand for my trucks, so they could park legally, meter run out by 3 min's, and my motor has already got a parking ticket on it.

3 min's, that is all it was, these buggers see the 7 series, and wait by the meter, i am sure they do.

Now matter how legally, you try to do things, they will always catch you out, and get some revenue out of you.

Central London last week, make 25 telephone calls to arrange parking dispensation on a loading bay outside the building, eventually get through to the right person, who needs 14 days notice to allow me to park in the loading bay.

Client needed the job doing that week, so just accepted the parking ticket, when the traffic warden duly came along and fixed it to the windscreen.

I have even had parking tickets placed on the paking dispensation dockets, which allows the vehicle to be parked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 22:31 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

Here in Notts the city council placed A4 sized notices on lamposts-fences and walls in several locations around the city at about 3-00pm Wed. afternoon warning of parking restrictions.

On thursday morning dozens of cars were slapped with tickets on Robin Hood St, Carlton Road and around Sneinton market in preparation for double yellow lines being painted.

Furious residents and traders fined by the city council claim parking rules were changed overnight, and that the council had made recognised parking areas into a non-parking areas within the space of a few hours, when people are asleep."

The city council admitted signs warning of the temporary changes had gone up only hours beforehand but insisted, "It is up to the motorist to look out for notices and comply with them."

"Parking Nazis"....Perfect description G-B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 00:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hanbo... wrote:
"Parking Nazis"....Perfect description G-B.

More parking nazism on this thread.

This :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ing country makes me sick sometimes. It's like a banana republic without the benefit of nice weather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 13:32 
User

Hanbo wrote:

Quote:
"It is up to the motorist to look out for notices and comply with them."

How can we do that AND look at our speedos at the same time AND look out for kamikaze peds? :D

Andrew

Homer Simpson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 21:54 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

Quote:
This :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ing country makes me sick sometimes. It's like a banana republic without the benefit of nice weather.

:lol: I like it :lol:
Glad to see you're on the mend. :wink:

Here's the latest from:
Tonights Eve Post

The earlier report said the signs went up at 'about 3-00pm', now it seems they were put up after 5pm...... in the dark !....and they say 'No Loading', not....'No Parking'.
Means the same thing, but different wording........deliberately to confuse? :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 00:57 

I was in our town centre today. I saw a traffic warden driving around in marked car with blue lights on the top. Since when did traffic wardens have to respond to emergency calls. Amber maybe but blue...that is taking the p*ss.

Thinking about it they would probably have to illegaly park themselves to stop to give a ticket.....go figure.. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:50 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

Not too sure about this, but I believe T/Ws can only use the blue lights when stationary, ie at the scene of an accident/incident, could be wrong, but I seem to recall seeing something about it on here, can't remember what thread though.

Round here, they use small M/Cs complete with a blue light fitted at the rear, but I've never seen these in use.

Perhaps Neil or I-G could throw some light (no pun intended) on this?

BTW, they do respond to emergencies, remember the M/Cyclist having his 'mangled' machine ticketed whilst it lay in the gutter as the police were clearing up at the scene of his accident? :shock: :P :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 18:12 

Hanbo... wrote:
BTW, they do respond to emergencies, remember the M/Cyclist having his 'mangled' machine ticketed whilst it lay in the gutter as the police were clearing up at the scene of his accident? :shock: :P :lol: :wink:

Just like vultures...feeding on the suffering of others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 19:17 
User

Hanbo... wrote:
Not too sure about this, but I believe T/Ws can only use the blue lights when stationary, ie at the scene of an accident/incident, could be wrong, but I seem to recall seeing something about it on here, can't remember what thread though.

Round here, they use small M/Cs complete with a blue light fitted at the rear, but I've never seen these in use.

Perhaps Neil or I-G could throw some light (no pun intended) on this?

Correct Prof H. :wink: at scene of an emergency.

(And to indicate to persons using the road the emergency of the purpose for which the vehicle is being used - or to warn people of the presence of the vehicle - or to warn persons of the presence of the vehicle or a hazard on the road!)

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 22:08 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

Gizmo wrote:
Just like vultures...feeding on the suffering of others.

Yup!

BTW, (Some) Talivans use 'Amber' lights as opposed to blue...THAT ! is taking the p*ss. :evil:

And thanks I-G, for the clarification, good on yer mate. :wink: