Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 18:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 15:00 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My white friend's son got married three years ago to an Indian girl. Guess where the racism and one occasion a threat, (yes threat), came from because she wasn't marrying into her caste?

They did come to terms with it, eventually, after taking her car away and threatening to stop funding her University scholarship when it became obvious nothing was going to stand in their way.

I was going to marry a woman in America when I lived over there and came back to sell my place and make a life with her. Then one day she gave me a call and said “I want an equal relationship”. What that meant was she, as a Christian, could not marry an me, an atheist, even though we got on so well. Her faith didn’t stop her bonking me even though it was me who was resistant to her advances, for some time, because of her faith.

I felt so used :P True stories btw

I read somewhere that mixed marriages work better than 'the usual'.

(Probably a spammer or something but I thought I'd bite..) :wink:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 19:18 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Big Tone wrote:
(Probably a spammer or something but I thought I'd bite..) :wink:

The OP was a spammer and got the chop, but I thought your post was worth keeping.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 20:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks Peter; good call.

I thought it would be nuked and I gave an honest reply which I expected to disappear along with the O.P.

Maybe it raises a few of our experiences though. I recently went on a blind date...

Long story short.. A friend from work recently set me up with his girlfriend’s sister. He told me all the things about her, which sounded very nice, and after I said “yeah, okay, let’s meet up over a meal” his last line was, and I quote, “Oh she’s black... you don’t mind that do you?”

I was initially taken back because, having not seen his girlfriend, he's whiter than rice and I didn’t know I was being set up with a black girl. It’s the sort of thing I would have expected to be mentioned earlier in this situation TBH, but no matter...

As a white heterosexual male, I find women attractive – all women. I also see men who make me feel like I could rub oil over their body before they go on stage to pose in a banana hammock as body builders, but that’s another story. :P

So we met up as a foursome and there was no connection. We had a good night but I have to say what I like about my old 'main squeeze' it is/was her SOH. She totally gets me and she too has a great SOH.

If she ballooned up to the size of Daniel Lambert and turned as black as the ace of spades, or yellow or pink or blue or green - it wouldn’t matter to me. Next - on religious differences...

I know that it can work because I’ve seen it for myself; I was.... unlucky I guess with my American Christian happy-clappy love; or maybe a lucky escape, I don’t know.

What I do know is there are lots of fruits 'out there' and they are all lovely and loving; so why restrict yourself when true love knocks on the door, no matter what colour or creed.

60's song bit, for those who will know it...

"And if you can't be, with the one you love....."

Are mixed marriages a good idea? Yes, I think so, if you truly love each other you can make it work...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Last edited by Big Tone on Wed Aug 24, 2011 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 21:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

In answer to the question posed in the title, no.

The better Internet dating sites ask all sorts of questions to try to match you up with someone with similar views, attributes and aspirations. You will note "similar", not "the same". This is because, not surprisingly, a relationship stands a better chance of progressing if you aren't arguing about everything all the time.

Someone of different nationality will probably be steeped in the morals and mores of their own country which may well be different to your own. Imagine meeting a nice Korean lady - who didn't mind eating a dog for dinner. :)

Then there is the potential for problems if you ever have children.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 21:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm with you there Malcolm and maybe I was getting too hung up on colour or religion, which I have seen work as I'm sure we all have.

Perhaps I should have said that if we put aside our religious beliefs and if only God made us with rods and no cones in our eyes we would have had much less differences of opinion - and bloodshed.

It's a shame that we don't recognise more that we are all human and that we can learn to love each other. We have so much more in common than separates us. We all know what it is to love and lose a love, (maybe not everyone here), and when I look around at what is going on in the world I always imagine a more intelligent race looking at us from far away and laughing, or crying, at how stupid and primitive we are.

Maybe they are staying away until we wise-up enough? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 16:31 
Life Member
Life Member

From a genetic point of view, I would say yes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 22:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Johnnytheboy wrote:

I agree. Lost Incas and Aztecs are hopefully still in the gene pool somewhere...

Sorry about the spelling, (if I got it wrong), I'm not using spell-check and I can't be arsed to Google.

My right and left brain are having an argument.

Speaking as an outsider, I don’t know who to back... :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 13:30 

The current Mexicans are said to be descendants of Spanish Conquistadores and native South Americans. Whilst there's no doubting that all colonial powers did pretty terrible things in their time, I don't think the Spanish wiped-out the indigenous population. We have to remember that the concept of a "propaganda war" was quite popular in Tudor times - especially as printing presses became established and more of the population learned to read. It's quite interesting how we and the Spanish view Sir Francis Drake - a hero over here, but little more than a state-sponsored pirate over there. Spain, the dominant power at the time viewed English attacks in much the same way as we now look at the Somali pirates or Al-Quaeda.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 20:33 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Johnnytheboy wrote:

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but my understanding is that you only need a population of a few thousand to allow a human community to continue to thrive and not experience any long-term genetic degradation. This can be seen on many island groups in the Pacific. So, in genetic terms, if you confined your search for a marriage partner to, say, the entire population of Wales, you should be OK.

The cultural benefits are probably more significant than the genetic ones.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 16:53 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Seeing it at first hand .My eldest son has married an American lass , from California ,so also of Mexican descent .When the kids come along ,don't know what nationallity they'll be .He was born in Dumfermline .So far they seem to be getting on great ,heading for anniversary no 3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 16:19 
User

What a STUPID question!

Of course they work! They might just need a little more effort put in as far as understanding is concerned, that's all.

My wife and I have been happily married for almost 8 years. She is Philippine and I am a Yorkshire Paddy. We have the same outlook on bringing up children, financial responsibilities, planning for the future and have a lot of fun together.

She gave birth to our son 2 weeks ago and we can't walk down a single aisle in thee local Tescos without being stopped by folks of all ages telling us how beautiful he is.

Our lives just get better every day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 20:39 
Gold Member
Gold Member

No Maaarghk, the question was not "can they work" but "are they a good idea".

This is a much deeper question.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 02:47 
Site Admin

Maaarrghk! Congratulations on the little fella.

To me this is about genetics & the gene pool, is the dilution 'better or worse' for the retention of a Nation's status ?

When we think about another nation's culture and those differences, it can help to add to another culture or it can 'clash' too ... but is it a good idea ? I guess that depends on where one might expect it to 'end'. Does the gain over-rule & dominate the culture it mixes with and will that over time create a resilience within that host Country or will the interaction produce a better balanced society ? And how & who decides on that 'balance' anyway ? What action might be possible if the balance is considered incorrect in any way?
Language is also known to show how a culture forms or 'thinks', I was told by a language expert how the Gaelic language never has 'I' in it as everything was always done as a community ... and so it thought in this way too, thus rarely every producing a very assertive culture within this 'nation'.
[On a slight aside :
I saw a most interesting program the other night that showed that providing money to some of these Gift Aid needy Countries is contributing to many millions of people's deaths. There are 2 arguments (that I recall) 1) the money sent sees the receiving Country 'decide' on a 'location' where the aid is to be 'sent' and in doing so creates a massive 'camp' that all the citizens who are poor flock to, and it showed how in fact this resulted in a mass 'ethnic cleansing' system as people would travel for 100's of miles to reach these (deliberately) far away locations, 2) the money does not usually go to create and overall better environment and so merely prolongs their inevitable death (for many).
The UK and a few other Countries are targeted as we are known to 'give' easily, and all the pop stars who attend (the prog. went into some fascinating info on this bit), all gain massive boost to album sales afterwards.]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 09:36 
User

Well our mixed marriage was definitely a good idea Malcolm.

Generally, it can be argued that the original question is a bit of a pointless one as race should not really come into it.

A good marriage (in it's simplest terms) is getting the choice as partner right and putting in the work necessary to keep the relationship both good and strong.

A friend recently told me that the divorce rate for English/Philippine marriages was around a third of that for English/English marriages and this is not because Philippine women are "pliant" as is often suggested. They simply realize that any relationship will have highs and lows and are not especially disposed to walking away during a low point. This is not to say that they will stay with an abusive or unreasonable partner, as my sister in law will testify having divorced her Norwegian husband due to his persistant failure to pay the household bills driving her to the point of nervous breakdown.

Obviously, I can only give an answer from the point of view of an English/Philippine marraige, but I don't see why this should not apply to any marriage, mixed race or not.

Claire, thanks for your good wishes. One other point regarding aid to other countries is simple local government corruption in the form of stealing the aid. Mrs M! worked for her local Department of Agriculture and was appalled at how little aid got through to local poor farmers - most of it went to the Mayor and his mates and some he gave to the office workers to keep them quiet. Mrs M! did not last long in the job.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:00 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Naturally, you also have my good wishes Maaarrghk.

However, I'm quite interested in your reading of the original question as one of mixed race rather than mixed nationality. These are also not the same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 13:18 
User

Righto Malcolm.

I'll re-phrase a couple of the things I wrote in my last post.

1) Generally, it can be argued that the original question is a pointless one as nationality should not really come into it.

2) Obviously, I can only give an answer from the point of view of an English/Philippine marriage, but I don't see why this should not apply to any marriage, mixed nationality or not.

That I think covers reading of the original as "race" rather than "nationality", but I really don't see the difference that either of my 2 statements make whichever word I use.

Mixed race/mixed nationality - to me there is very little difference in it and I see the whole race or nationality thing in making ones choice of spouse completely irrelevent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 13:36 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Maaarrghk! wrote:
Generally, it can be argued that the original question is a bit of a pointless one ...

Please be aware that the original question was posed by a spammer, which has since been nuked.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 14:51 
User

And so it should have been Steve.

It just raised my hackles somewhat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 16:52 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sorry Mark. As said, it was from a spammer and I thought I'd bite to see if there's any meat on the bones or learn from anyone’s personal experiences.

On reflection it’s probably one of those things never to discuss; along with politics and religion. Also, in my defence, I can’t remember who said it here but there’s often an interesting spin off from a bland or unusual O.P. (It was words to that effect)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 06:05 
User

No need to apologise Tone.

At least you got the benefit of my personal experience.

By the way, remember Julie "Hot Legs" Kirkbride, the MP who was in a spot of bother over the expenses thing? She was head girl at my old school. Her brother left just before I started - 6 A-levels at grade A, Cambridge, Harvard, then onto NASA, but kept in touch with his old Physics Teacher who taught me and would use him as an example of motivation.

As an aside in one of their converstaions, Kirkbride told him: "For Gods sake, if ever I tell you I'm marrying an American girl, I'm relying on you to stop me!" That was 30 years back. I think it was the divorce rate (and alimony payments) over there that scared the hell out of him.