Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 22:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Wonder Foods =CW
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 22:56 
User

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

:listenup:

RED WINE

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Studies show less colds if you drink two glasses per day

And if men drink these two glasses and women one glass.....less chance of a heart attack! 8-)

But to stay legal ... I do stress with FOOD and do not drive until you are sure you are "legal" :wink:

But since I do like my occasional claret, decent red .. nice to know I am "healthy" 8-) :lol: :wink: IN MODERATION of course :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 23:11 

I admit I like my Clarets too; in fact sampling quite a nice Amarande as I write this :). Does make me feel less guilty knowing of it's health benefits - and I do restrict myself to just a couple of 750ml glasses per day :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:54 
User

Am partial to that one too! :lol:

They have another one this week

Peaches. It seems the a peach has a high water content and removes toxins from your body.

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:58 
Site Admin

In Gear wrote:

Peaches. It seems the a peach has a high water content and removes toxins from your body.

I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 18:57 
User

I like peaches as they have nice taste.

However my super food would be the humble orange und its sidekicks - grapefruit, lemon, lime und kumquats (I serve these either drizzled with Amaretto or Cointrau or Apricrot Brandy ..as it sweeten)

Per legend .. it seem the Australians refer to Brits as "limeys" because sailors sucked lime to prevent scurvy when deporting all those criminals to nice sunny place. :hehe:

Peach does have Vit C but Citrus Fruit ist containing far more = especially in the pulp. So when you squeeze orange for juice .. do place plulp und grated peel in liquidizer to add. :wink:

Do not worry about splodge of green .. some oranges are dyed orange anyway.

If orange ist small und peel thin .. ist very juicy. If you need juice - keep at room temperature und roll it around.

Healthwise .. ist excellent source of Vit C und it we find those who include citrus in diet seem to have less cancer diagnosed even if genetically pre-disposed..

Have a couple of recipes which members, browsers, lurkers und even trollz dollz :lol: may want to try.

Orange Bran Muffins (this make 24 muffins)

1.5 cupo oat bran
1 cup plain flour
1 cup ground flaxseed (from health shop or Keswick Market :wink: )
1 cup natural bran (from health food shop)
1 desert spoon baking powder
half teaspoon salt
2 oranges - washed, quartered und seeded
three quarter cup brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk
half cup extra virgin olive oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking sodas
1.5 cups raisins

Get one large bowl und mix the oat bran, flour, flax seed, bran, baking powder und salt. Set aside

In blender - mix oranges, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, oil und baking soda.
Ensure well blended :wink:

Add to the dry ingredient Mix until well blended/ Stir in raisins.. I sometimes add choc chips too :lol:

Fill your paper lined muffin tin almost to top. Bake in 375 degree oven for 18-20 minutes or if long wooded bake test pin come out clean if you place in centre :) Leave to cool on cake rack.

Or in this weather you may prefer

Fresh Orange lemonade

2 .5 cup water
1 cup sugar (less to taste :wink: )
4 tablespoon orange und lemon zest
5 oranges - juiced in juicer
8 lemons - juiced in juicer
More water und lemon/orange slices to garnish

In medium saucepan - heat water until sugar dissolve - stirring it. Leave to cool.

When cool .. add the orange/lemon zest und juices. Leave und let it stand at room tempo fro an hour or so. Cover und then place in fridge until you wish to serve it up :D

Und you garnish with ice und slices of fruit... ist heaven on day like today :D

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:30 
User

This week it's

:listenup: LET'S HEAR IT FOR CHILLIES

According to CW - this food keeps away colds and flu :wink: (well they are a bit on the hot side :wink: ) and if you eat one :shock: :? before a meal - you take in 10% fewer calories.

Hmmmm.... perhaps I'll take that with a pinch of curry powder :roll: - Might be that you consume gallons of water to put out the fire :lol: :roll:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 23:11 
User

This week - it's the carrot. Apparently carotenoids are proven to reduce the risk of caracts and macular degeneration. Well - My Mum always told me to eat up my carrots as "they were good for my eyes!" :lol: 8-)

CW reckons carrot.. (and this includes mango and red peppers) is good for the heart and helps ward off cancers.

Alice sometimes buys Haagen-Daz mango sorbet - which I do enjoy. She also makes a really nice carrot and coriander soup.. and she once served up orange, carrot and coriander soup .. with a dash of Cointreau.. a recipe which she nicked from Wildy and Kriss. It was very tasty too.

Personally - prefer it mashed with suede, lashings of butter and with my Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pud! 8-) (which my wife Alice cooks to a perfection equalled only by my Mum! ) :lol: :wink:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 23:58 
User

Le Croissant .. well - Tour de France and we have to indulge after all :lol:

Nice French bakers near my home. Tesco and Sainsbury cannot make a nicve light puggy croissant.

Have to say the best ones ever eaten wete hand baked by a hotelier on Lake Annecy Worth keeping in mind that most hoteliers in the villages on the banks of this lake do grant unlimited mountain bike hire to their paying guests. :wink:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 15:24 
User

This week - they really chuck out the count claory guide book :lol:

Le saucisson is hailed as the meal of the week :lol:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 07:30 
User

They really are trying to expand waistbands :o :shock: :twisted: :lol: 8-)

This week -

:listenup: Pain chocolat

Yum! :lol:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 08:19 

SafeSpeed wrote:
In Gear wrote:

I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

But too much salt is not good for you.......... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:10 
Site Admin

In Gear wrote:

Ah, yes. That'll be the 'Spring Surprise':
Quote:
I: (continuing) And what is this one: Spring Surprise?

H: Ah, that's one of our specialities. Covered in dark, velvety chocolate,
when you pop it into your mouth, stainless steel bolts spring out and plunge
straight through both cheeks.

From the Monty Python Crunchy Frog sketch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 09:41 
User

This week.. its pate de foie gras! :?

I rahter wnet off this food when I found out how its prepared. Goose or duck force fed on milky food to give its liver that "delicate flavour".

Somehow it rather put me off this one. :roll:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 09:43 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
In Gear wrote:

Ah, yes. That'll be the 'Spring Surprise':
Quote:
I: (continuing) And what is this one: Spring Surprise?

H: Ah, that's one of our specialities. Covered in dark, velvety chocolate,
when you pop it into your mouth, stainless steel bolts spring out and plunge
straight through both cheeks.

From the Monty Python Crunchy Frog sketch

:rotfl: I remember that.

Still fresh comedy.

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 22:18 
User

This week - it's back to healthy stuff.

Mangoes. Apparently high in vitamins A and B - and variious minerals for nerves and muscles. Boost production of red blood cells and only 100 calories.

Um - my wife does buy them - she slices them and serves up a with charlotte type trifle (She makes this with a yummy doughnut mix to the spongy bit ) 8-) 8-) 8-) and instead of cream - she makes her own yogurt with mango chunks .. yum!

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 18:42 
User

Last week it was honey.

This week another fave of mine.. salmon.

Now there is an ethical dilemma - farmed (cheap) versus enviro issues and fishy welfare and diseases.

Wild obviously tastes much better - and we will splash out for this or eat kippers, mackerel, sardines (fresh) as source of our Omega-3 brainy fishy oily stuff which also fine-tunes our heart muscle.

Yes .. I know we must have eaten farmed salmon and other trout as not so easy to avoid when you shop in the supermarkets.

However, will share some recipe ideas with you all.

Mackerel and sardines. Nothing like a barbecue on a hot summery evening with these.

You simply buy fresh form fishmonger - slit form throat to to hole in its belly... stick hand in and pull out the guts. Run undeer tap or in bucket of sea water if on the beach and dry with kitchen roll.

Massage in virgin olive oil - sprinkle with slat and pepper and wrap in vine leaves or bay leaves or roll in herbs. I sometimes place herbs inside the belly

Grill on barbecue (or under normal grill or frying pan until skin just loosens and flesh is flaky soft.) Yum!

As for salmon.. my wife, poaches, grills, bakes and serves with various sauces .. parley.. leek.. dill and coriander.. yummmmmm!

Any leftovers? convert to a fish cake.. mix with potato, milk, lemon zest, parsley, flour and egg to blend and cover the dough in breadcrumbs and fry in olive oil .. ooooh! :wink:

Serve with rocket salad and baked/grilled/boiled potatoes - yeah.. bliss! Washed down with a fine white Chablis.. yum... !

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 14:11 
User

Branston Pickle - apparently high in fibre because of gherkins, cauliflower, onions and carrots.. no fat ...

Oooh .. fancy a ploughman's now! :lol:

The other wonder food this week - rhubard. Like all red foods - contains antioxidants whcih help rid the body of various toxins caused by smoke and pollution in general. Apparently they think lycopene within all red coloured foods (strwaberries, cherries, etc) protect us blokes against prostate cance, heart and lung disease, improve memory and keep the general plumbing in order!

Hmmmm.. got some in the garden... right! Shall make a rhubarb roly poly :lol: woithy custard! :lol:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 23:17 
User

Part of my "mission" along with the COAST hammering.. to bring healthy food ideas along. :wink: Well.. my wife is such a good cook.. seems a shame not to share her ideas more widely.

This week CW's "Wonder Food" - on appraoch to October .. a very seasonal pumpkin seed.

These have a high amount of unsaturated fat and per the Mad Cats and other medics around the family.. body does need some "fats".

Pumpkin seeds can be bought or scooped fresh from the pumpkin and toasted under the grill. My wife does do this.. Per a fact sheet in Alice's cookery book cupboard . these seeds are high in Vit E, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc.

With all the hype on Omega-3 (force fed here in Co Durham to our 15-16 year olds this year :wink: in the hope of A* grades for all :roll: ) these seeds are the veggie/vegan form of Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids.

How Alice prepares them fresh from a pumpkin.. she removes any pulp or strings and rinses. She then places in bowl... drizzles with olive oil and lets them marinate in this overnigh with a light sprinkle of sea salt. She then roasts them in oven (350 degrees F) for 15 minutes and sometimes sprinkles curry or chilli powder on them to give them a bit of "bite"

The pumpkin itself is a nutritional power house and when you scoop out the pulp for the kids at Hallowe'en - be sure to use and eat the fruiit .. it't related to melon. All "gourds".. pumpkin, melon, squash and sweet potato are full of Vit C and E, alpha/beta cortene .. high fibre.. low calory, magnesium, potassium and pantothenic acid apparently. (Alice's cookery book tells me this :wink: )

It's relatively cheap to buy and regarded as as "superfood" - contains carotenoids which per recent tabloid press and verified by the Mad Cats and medics across the family.. can help boost optical nerves and help us fight cancers and the Mad Doc's "lurgies" :wink: as well as help out heart muscle.

All the Swiss girls and my wife tell me that a winter squash/pumpkin should be rock hard. If soft .. too young or too old to eat. Wildy tells us to "look for one with a stem Liebchen .. no stem.. bacterai enter the squash"

Get one with a dull skin as "unwaxed and mature to eat" Choose one with a deep colour. This means "ripe" per my wife. :wink:

Buy British squash if you can.. cool climate squash and pumpkin have better flavour - so I'm told.

My wife has asked me to post up a couple of her recipes for pumpkin. I can tell you in all honesty that I found them very tasty indeed - and not because I must obey my wife :lol:

OK

Ingredients for a very nice pud...

half cup sugar.. teasponn cinammon... half teasponn salt.. quarter teasponn ground ginger.. and cloves (optionals) .. 2 large eggs.. one 15 ounce tin of Libby's pure 100% pumpkin... and 12 ounce tin of Carnation milk.

MIX the sugar, cinammon, slat, ginger, cloves in bowl. Beat the eggs and stir into your dry mix. Gradually stir in the evaporated milk. Pur into shallow dish and bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 40 mins. Centre of this should "wiggle" Cool.. E NJOY or place in fridge and serve with cream or ice cream. .. Mmmmmmm!

She has another which she serves up with turkey, chicken, pork or salmon,

You need..

extra virgin olive oil...one butternut squash ( seeded) and cut half lengthwise, one tablespoon of REAL BUTTER (oooh sinful :lol: _ ) 2 tablespoons of dark honey.. salt and freshly ground black pepper.

OK .. Alice says you must preheat oven to 400 degrees F

Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil. Place the squash halves and cut to help them caramelize and bake them for 40 minutes or so. A skewer has to pierce with ease ...

Whilst the squash is baking.. melt the butter, add the honey and season with the salt and pepper to your taste..

When the squash is cooked .. simply brush with this mix and return to oven for five minutes. Cut the squash into pieces and serve with the white meat or salmon.

I can tell you.. a very tasty pleasant experience .. and very good for your health as well .

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 01:13 
User

Let's hear it for milk! Calms you down and full of calcium and magnesium.

Keeps bones healthy too.

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 22:21 
User

This wek - BROCCOLI! Full of B vitamins and Q10, hailed as a natualr to war d of bowel cancer too.

My wife makes a very delicious soup with broccoli. She softens the brooccili, onions, cualiflwower in oliver oikl and gar
lic and freshly chopped herbs.. then adds chicken or vegetable stock. Brings to boil and simmer and adds grated cheese. She then uses a blender.. adds either single cream, runny creme fresh or quark and blends again. Result's really YUMMY! and any person in trauma and "lost appetite" could find this meal will provide comfort in preparation and eating. ]

My wife has another simple, therapeutically nourishing and comforting soup which involves softening carrots in olive oil, garlic clove and herbs and then adding a tin of chopped tomatoes, copped basil and creme fraiche.. oohhhh!

If you add lentils, beans . chopped celery, shredded cabbage . drop of red wine - short pasta noodles and serve with grated parmesan - you have a minestrone soup too! :lol:

Which again is a "comfort food" - enjoyably quick to make and soothing and nourishing in trauma and BIKE RIDES UP HILLS! :lol: :lol:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next