Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 23:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: FAQ SUGGESTIONS
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 00:40 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Further to Madroaduser's suggestion that we compose an FAQ page, can I ask folk to make suggestions for questions to be included in such a page below? Please let's NOT debate things here, and please leave Paul to compose his answers for those he wants to incorporate in his FAQ page elsewhwere.

If something worth debating crops up, please start it in an appropriate section (not here).

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 02:07 
User

I'll start the ball rolling. Some of these will be based off questions that a lot of people personally ask me.

Surely speed kills, so wouldn't tighter enforcement of speed limits only help to make our roads safer?

If cameras are a distraction to drivers (e.g. speedo checks), then shouldn't Safespeed be campaigning for speed limiters?

If motorists are panic-braking for unexpected cameras, then wouldn't they still do the same for a marked police car thats at the side of the road?

Even if overall road deaths/serious injuries haven't fallen so much over recent years, they seem to have fallen dramtically at camera sites, so surely cameras ARE improving safety.

What is Safespeed's stance on traffic light cameras?

If cameras aren't working then what else should be done to improve road safety?

How about these sort of questions which seem typical from 'slight' pro-camera supporters:

What about cameras enforcing 20 limits outside schools or accident blackspots? Surely that can't be hindering safety?

What about cameras set with a much higher trigger level (eg. 30% over) - therefore anyone caught by these would definately deserve to be punished?

Last edited by madroaduser on Mon Mar 20, 2006 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 15:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My 2p worth:

Why does SafeSpeed take issue with that advert? But worded rather better than I have. :-)

Probably will also need What do you mean by free travelling speed? to explain the answer. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 19:52 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

madroaduser wrote:

How about these sort of questions for 'slight' pro-camera supporters:

What about cameras enforcing 20 limits outside schools or accident blackspots? Surely that can't be hindering safety?

What about cameras set with a much higher trigger level (eg. 30% over) - therefore anyone caught by these would definately deserve to be punished?

at present DFT / APCO say we cannot enforce a 20mph limit but this is set to change

30% over the limit, quick mathes 50% over a 30mph limit is 45mph, 33.3% is 40mph , so 30% is around by my reckoning 38 / 39 mph,
10+ 2 rule in a 30 = 35mph get reported at 36mph, so in my reckoning we are working very close to that already

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 20:38 
User

Ok I suddenly realised that i was supposed to say, how about questions which in, my experience, are typical from slight camera supporters.

As for enforcing 20 limits I thought ACPO guidelines say you can already. At least this page says you can.

And for the 30% comment, well was just a number I thought of out of thin air. Basically I meant a threshold well above the limit.