Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 07:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 21:45 
Site Admin

I've always received mail for <any address>@safespeed.org.uk. This has been useful and quite a few pages around the web site have unique email addresses (e.g. braking@safespeed.org.uk for http://www.safespeed.org.uk/braking.html . This has been an excellent arrangement and I have been able to sort and store email messages automatically.

But the spammers have got to me. I've had over 1,000 spam messages since lunch time today and spent more than an hour sorting them and deleting them off the server. I'm mobile at present, and downloading that much crap just isn't on.

Accordingly I have disabled all email addresses except the usual one psmith@safespeed.org.uk

It's a real pain to go right through the web site and change everything.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 00:24 
User

Not sure if it will help now, but I'm told a graphic of the address is better than the hyperlink.
Drawback is the contact has to type the address into the mail address window, but apparently it makes automated spamming harder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 08:25 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

If you want to knock most spam on the head then investigate grey listing which you can add to your server (assuming you run your own email system). Combined with a real time black list, spam is cut down to a tiny trickle. We use it at work and it has been fantastic.

I'd also consider using a webmail interface so you can delete stuff without downloading it. mail2web http://www.mail2web.com/ is one I have used. I usually use the advanced login which lets you set the mail server manually.

There are obfuscations you can use on email addresses which trip up the spam bots. Most of them revolve around adding a small bit of javascript so the email address is split up. You can also do tricks with unicode and other things but it is time consuming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:58 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Not sure if it will help now, but I'm told a graphic of the address is better than the hyperlink.
Drawback is the contact has to type the address into the mail address window, but apparently it makes automated spamming harder.

Even better (if you can use JavaScript) is to build the address up in code for the user's browser to render as a mailto link, backed up with some human-readable text just in case scripting isn't available:

In the <head> section:
Code:
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript"><!--
var mydomain;
mydomain = window.location.hostname;
if (mydomain.indexOf("www.") > -1) {
   mydomain = mydomain.substring(4, mydomain.length);
}
mydomain = "@" + mydomain;
//--></script>

and then where you want the address:
Code:
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript"><!--
var addy = "info";
document.write ("<a href="mailto:" + addy + mydomain + "">" + addy + mydomain + "<\/a>");
//--></script>
<noscript>
info AT safespeed DOT org DOT uk
</noscript>

This produces info@ whichver domain was used to access the content (so great where multiple domains point to the same website), and gives a human-readable variation (info AT safespeed DOT org DOT uk) that won't be easily interpreted by spam harvesters. The principle behind this technique is that nearly all spam harvesters read the raw page source and don't execute the script - so they don't detect the encoded address.

HTH,