Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 18:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 15:50 

I was following a VW Polo at 40MPH, in a NSL on a straight road but due to lack of overtaking opportunities and my "works" diesel estate having poor acceleration, I had to sit behind her for about a mile. We came to a large island with two lanes of entry and no markings to suggest which lane to enter so I took the RHS lane and got past her on the island. Something then must have "clicked" in her brain saying, " I think I should be going faster", because she then started tailgating me closely for the next mile or so at 60MPH to the next island, at which we both went straight on to a bit of Dual. She then accelerated past me ( I would be doing about 45 at this point, still accelerating) then, instead of pulling in, she decided to overtake the guy, about 60 yards in front of me, who was doing about 55MPH. The problem was by overtaking him she was running out of dual, meaning that she had to cut in sharply, to much horn blowing on his part. He (Honda Civic Sport) decided he was going to "blast" past her at the next bit of dual, although he didn't seem to be in much of a hurry before she overtook him. Either the hot weather is getting to people or it's "sheep" syndrome where if someone sees someone else going a bit faster than them, they think it's compulsory to "join in".... ;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 16:25 
Life Member
Life Member

Not since I got aircon and tablets to lower my blood pressure :D

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 08:38 
Life Member
Life Member

Typical young female driving. Being overtaken triggers a 'girl power' response that lasts about five minutes, then they slow down again.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 09:23 

I have to agree that it is something I have seen a lot in females but not neccessarily young ones, this one was middle aged and I've noticed it before in middle age women.

Young women tend to drive more agressively/faster than they ever used to, in my opinion, but at the same time there are a lot more women drivers on the road now, than when I first started driving.

Middle age women (round by us anyway) tend to drive along at 40MPH on most roads unless overtaken, then (some of them), seem to "wakeup" and do some "strange" things for a mile or so before their hormones settle down....;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:10 
User

Ho ho.

Mysogonistic thread of the year alert!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:46 

It could just be that I am stating as I observe!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:20 
User

The behaviour such as that is not the domain of females, solely.
It happens when you are driving a vehicle deemed lowly, and the driver of the 09 reg fiesta is empowered to overtake to prove that his/her social domain is higher.
Being the driver of a van I have no problem coping with it. At the next road junction every van/truck will let me out and freeze the rest where they stand.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 17:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
Ho ho.

Mysogonistic thread of the year alert!

Now we just need to get a thread commenting on the observed behaviour of female cyclists and you can spend many happy hours arguing with us for no reason. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 17:54 
User

malcolmw wrote:
Now we just need to get a thread commenting on the observed behaviour of female cyclists and you can spend many happy hours arguing with us for no reason. :)

Oooooh yeah.........spend many happy hours pondering the observed behaviour of female cyclists? :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 18:07 

As the only Vicar on this site, I am deeply shocked at the comments from the obvious "dirty old men" on here with respect to the female form ....;-)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 18:37 
User

graball wrote:
As the only Vicar on this site, I am deeply shocked at the comments from the obvious "dirty old men" on here with respect to the female form ....;-)

:speakno: But, But.........Gluteus maximus was a Roman Emperor :angel:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 21:54 
User

samandben wrote:
graball wrote:

:speakno: But, But.........Gluteus maximus was a Roman Emperor :angel:

But they are so lovely :cloud9:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 21:57 
User

samandben wrote:
[

ohhh.. the fishnet tights. ohhhhh! :cloud9: The skort "WOWwwwwwWWW! Mercy! Pretty Woman" per the late Roy Orbison :bow:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 22:04 
User

graball wrote:
I was following a VW Polo at 40MPH, in a NSL on a straight road but due to lack of overtaking opportunities and my "works" diesel estate having poor acceleration, I had to sit behind her for about a mile. We came to a large island with two lanes of entry and no markings to suggest which lane to enter so I took the RHS lane and got past her on the island. Something then must have "clicked" in her brain saying, " I think I should be going faster", because she then started tailgating me closely for the next mile or so at 60MPH to the next island, at which we both went straight on to a bit of Dual. She then accelerated past me ( I would be doing about 45 at this point, still accelerating) then, instead of pulling in, she decided to overtake the guy, about 60 yards in front of me, who was doing about 55MPH. The problem was by overtaking him she was running out of dual, meaning that she had to cut in sharply, to much horn blowing on his part. He (Honda Civic Sport) decided he was going to "blast" past her at the next bit of dual, although he didn't seem to be in much of a hurry before she overtook him. Either the hot weather is getting to people or it's "sheep" syndrome where if someone sees someone else going a bit faster than them, they think it's compulsory to "join in".... ;-)

Seem to recall Wildy asking this a while back now.

I cannot recall the thread title nor where she posted it - nor when.. nor even which board. I recall seing mail alerting me of these "impersonals" :popcorn:

Think many want to get home to family/pals

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 23:10 
User

In Gear wrote:
..... fishnet tights

WHERE do the cyclists wear those :shock: ??? No, No, No, .......I know on their legs! Not what I meant. Orrrrr, :idea: perhaps you meant that the lady in the VW had just finished putting on her fishnets......that's why she increased her speed!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 08:07 
User

My wife Wildy does wear fishnets when she rides her bicycle :bounce1: :bounce1:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 09:53 
User

Mad Moggie wrote:

Purrrrrrrrrrr :gossip: :stirthepot: :yesyes:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 03:00 
Site Admin

Mad Moggie wrote:

Ahha so *that's* the real reason why you ran your bike off the road and found the bull who then took a liking to your bike !

I see that none of you have thought of the most obvious possibility that the lady was talking oh the phone and then finished, and sped up again ! :) I do agree though that drivers can seem to 'wake up' .... and often it is the end of the straight that they suddenly realise that they are missing and o/take and then go for it when it is the worst possible moment BUT because roads are engineered badly they grab the chance as they don't know when another opportunity might present itself. Sadly many more seem to lack the ability to o/take at all ! :(
I love overtaking WELL - there is definitely an art to doing this well. :)

I do agree however, BUT interestingly I have found this same scenario with men, v rarely with women ! :)
I overtake and on occasion it's like the gauntlet was laid down, so I have to allow for this and often simply allow then to overtake and go on their merry way - perhaps proving their 'abilities' !, while I sit smiling to myself.

There are though many Seasonal Changes of drivers:
Sudden good weather - bikes out - convertibles out and more cyclists & people. All generally of a jovial and courteous nature (mostly).
Sudden bad weather (just had a FROST forecast in the hills and 1 degree!!! (must be that global warming! :D )) and many stay away or attempt the routes, but tailgating is about the worst feature I see regularly.

Also the weekend / holiday breaks brings out the campers and caravans too, and all those driving on unfamiliar roads and all acting so too! Then the breakdowns with the sudden long journeys and over tired drivers etc ...
I allow more time at junctions especially, to often tell who is 'out of town' and assessing their route - although with satnavs it is a more subtle exercise now ! Mind without Paul about I have no one to debate with ....
This reminds me of all the seasonal driver types which cover their behaviour, environment, other road users, new roads and their reactions to them and interactions to the travel itself often on unfamiliar roads.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 22:49 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Interestingly the "younger lady drivers are more aggressive than they used to be" view was expressed to me by a recently retired trafpol, and I must confess that is my own view. I don't think it is me being an old git - I really do think there has been a culturally driven behavioural shift

to sink your ship of fools

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 06:53 
Supporter
Supporter

prof beard wrote:
Interestingly the "younger lady drivers are more aggressive"

You can remove "driver" from that statement and it is even more accurate.