Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 20:06 
User

:gatso2: From the Belfast Telegraph

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 76228.html
The latest shocking DOE Road Safety has launched an advert so brutal it has been banned from being shown on TV before 9pm.

More closely resembling something like Sharknado than a traditional road safety ad, it sees a man speeding along a country road before flipping his car and squashing an entire picnic-load of children.

The scene of devastation is scored by an acoustic version of Guns N' Roses' Sweet Child o' Mine.

The one-minute advert is designed to demonstrate how 28 children – roughly the equivalent to a primary school class – have died in accident caused by speeding cars since 2000.

Though I suppose if it convinces even one driver to slow down the campaign is a success, the campaign has attracted criticism for is its CGI-laden absurdity, being accused of trying to "improve social conduct through the use of nightmares".

Environment Minister Mark Durkan defended the video, saying in a statement: "'The aim of this campaign is to challenge and dispel, once and for all, through this emotional and uncomfortable message, the false perceptions that many road users have as to the truly horrifying consequences of speeding."

PSNI Assistant Chief Constable Stephen Martin added: "This advertisement depicts very clearly and very starkly the risks involved when speed is a factor.

"Most of you will find it shocking but the reality is drivers need to be fully aware of the potential consequences of their actions."

If you read the comments attached to the BT article, they make interesting reading. Not all are convinced by the "Speed Kills" argument.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 07:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lots of questionable things here.

- 28 deaths in 14 years . Not good but hardly carnage.
- "...caused by speeding cars..." Primary cause of accidents or any contributory cause? Stephen Martin comments "...speed is a factor..." in his statement.
- Were the children passengers in the cars? Were their parents culpable?
- What is a child?

BTW, what is Sharknado?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 18:04 

I really can't see the point of that advert if you are trying to say...."think of the children !", it would have had more impact if the guy had skidded off the road on a busy street corner into a queue of kids or into a school playground.

Watching some guy flip into a field full of kids would make me think...."i don't fancy rolling into a field, I'll slow down on country roads." The kids wouldn't come into the equation for me.

We had a guy do just that yesterday, came off the road on a rural B road. and we seem to get drivers (mainly young women) go off the road into fields and barriers virtually weekly but I reckon it's not down to exceeding speed limits but excessive speed for the conditions, which doesn't seem to get mentioned in road safety ads for some reason, just stick to the lollipop and all will be well...until you leave the road at 48MPH on a rural 50MPH road that's covered in rain and mud ("I wasn't speeding honest, constable!")

It's about as pointless as the one where the woman is obsessed with the van behind her, fails to react in time to the person braking in front of her and gets hit by her son sitting on the back seat.

The ad was saying "don't forget to wear a rear seat belt." The seat belt was irrelevant until she plowed into the car in front.

To any normal, sensible driver, it would have said, "pay attention to what is happening all around you and not just behind you and don't tailgate." but not to a civil servant.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 01:31 
Site Admin

It fails because it makes no sense. It fails 100% to deal with the CAUSE of the accident.
Concentrating on the 'factors' of accidents doesn't prevent them.

Films needs to be logical and things to happen 'for a reason' to 'flow'. This fails. He just approaches a minor right bend and then for zero reason whatsoever decides to brake and cause a skid (than carry on!) and then flip over the wall.
Whilst I don't doubt that hitting the pavement side wards could cause a car to flip up and over the wall (more over then through but hey ...) it's 'unreasonable'. Showing this too is unbelievable as the chances of killing all the kids is neigh zero. Plus it's not even believable - you see a kids hand after wards that's not even bleeding and zero 'accident - effect' ! Holding the blue car is just a pointless and over the top 'reminder'. It actually reduces the impact than adds to it.... classic 'less is more'.
Whoever directed this did a poor job IMHO.
Will is 'shock' and 'work', no.

It's just a complete waste of money.

If it dealt with road conditions and how to be careful and how to be a better driver then that could work. Self interest is THE BEST way to teach and encourage better actions. This shock and horror doesn't work.