Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:03 
User

:gatso2: From the Belfast Telegraph

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/ ... 06045.html

Almost 90% of people believe the PSNI should have the power to seize vehicles from drink-drivers.

Currently vehicles without tax or insurance can be taken away.

However, the vast majority of people who took part in the annual Road Safety Monitor Survey believed drink-drivers were more deserving of losing their cars.

The report reveals that vehicle seizure is being considered by the Department of the Environment (DoE) as a penalty option for serious road traffic offences.

Asked under which circumstances police should have the power to seize vehicles, 86% said drink-driving.

The report also said one in four people has admitted they would drive after taking an alcoholic drink.

Environment Minister Mark H Durkan, who is in charge of road safety, said people were too complacent when it came to drink-driving.

"My message to all drivers is clear, just one drink will impair your driving ability," he said.

I think this is a good idea. My opinions regarding drink-drivers are unprintable on this forum.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Inadequate reporting here really.

- At what point do you seize the car? On failing a roadside test (which is not conclusive evidence). On conviction in court?

- What if the vehicle is not owned by the driver? What if it is taken without consent?

As for 25% of people saying they would drive after taking a drink, this is hardly surprising as most people know by their own experience that a half of beer or a small glass of wine with dinner has no significant effect on driving ability. The current limit for blood alcohol is well set for practical purposes while controlling excess.

I too am totally opposed to people driving whose ability is impaired by drinking and it is these gross idiots who should be targeted.

What about very elderly people whose ability is impaired by infirmity? Should they have their cars seized? To paraphrase Winston Churchill, they will not be sober in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 23:53 
Site Admin

They fail to address what other crimes they are considering taking people's vehicles.

I think to resort to such action/potential 'theft' shows a grave failing in education and ability to impress the serious consequences of failure to drive/ride safely.
I agree who judges prior to proof that someone is indeed 'drunk' and unfit to drive! Some medicines can have an alcohol level increase (although the product excapes me for the minute).
There must be a very clear, simple and thorough compensation when down inappropriately or incorrectly too.
Payment too of such offences ought to be clearly laid out with all payment methods available, suitable for all peoples of all classes.

Totally agree that the alcohol level is set about right for proper enforcement and ensuring proper policing to ensure that those above such levels are stopped by police who have the facilities to tug those who are above this level and are driving recklessly or dangerously.
My own doctor followed someone for 15 miles to help when and if they had an accident (he said it was a miracle they didn't) and despite several calls to the police no one ever turned up. Just appalling!

At least in Belfast there does appear to be the full intent that Police will stop people which is good - I do hope they are well trained! :)

I wouldn't be too surprised if in some (many) years time that we don't end up with an individual alcohol level and likely gadgets to tell us when we are 'impaired'. I know that in Japan a show demonstrated vehicles that tell the driver that they are impaired/tired etc...
I'm not suggesting that relying on a gadget is good but for some the car not starting that would help to prevent a crime (or worse a crash), could be a very good thing.

However I'd rather have people so self inspired and recognised their responsibility to drive/ride safely at all times under all circumstances.
I do think that drunk people sleeping in their vehicles and clearly not driving ought not to be a crime as has been the case in the past!
(little idea) Perhaps a pub landlord could hold their keys while they sleep in their vehicles and hand them back later the next day? Although acting responsibly and getting a taxi or walking (etc) to the pub might be a far better plan !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 15:30 

"Alco-locks" have been on and off the agenda in Brussels for quite a few years now. The technology is easy enough - something like a breathalyser in series with the immobiliser so you have to blow into it (and be sober!) to start your car.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/wcm/road_ ... olocks.htm

Quite how it stops your (sober) mate blowing into it for you so you can start your car after a skinfull, I don't understand.

Getting back to the original question though, it will be most damaging to people who own their own (nice) car and want to keep it. I don't know whether that's the demographic of the typical drink-driver though?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 01:43 
Site Admin

The true cause that leads people to drink in the first place needs to be fully and properly addressed before it will change.
Failing to deal with the cause, will never result in improvement.

Mole thanks for those links, most interesting.
Scotland has just reduced it's alcohol level so something to help you know your level is helpful and means people will think about the issue. The alcohol content of all drinks prior to drinking would be educational and helpful perhaps?

If you can help people know that hey are over the limit then there won't be the need to take their cars. Will taking their vehicle really change their opinion toward drink driving, I doubt it? It will cause a further rift between police & public though.

There's a service where a biker comes to you and then drives your car home for you... perhaps that needs to be promoted more, along with other solutions too?
I think taking someone's car is just not the way to deal with this ... a lack of intelligence, but a big club hammer.