Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 03:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Motorcycle Safety
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 00:21 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

The 2003 road casualty statistics showed a disturbing 14% increase in motorcyclist deaths.

This has been widely attributed to irresponsible riding by "born-again bikers" - but we really need to find out the truth.

What was the real increase in motorcycle mileage in 2003 over 2002?

Has the increase in fatalities mainly occurred in urban or rural areas?

Is it mainly older bikers or youngsters who find a bike or scooter is a cheap alternative to a car?

How much of the increase was in single-vehicle accidents as opposed to collisions?

The rise in motorcycle deaths is what changes the headline numbers from mildly worrying to seriously alarming - therefore it is extremely important that we understand the real reasons behind it.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 00:21 
User

depends how they got the "14% figure from

If people are taking up bikes again, does that mean there's an increase of bikes on the road? thus... more bikes, obviously means there's a higher chance of an accident, plus the increase in car ownership!

Sure the figures need to be looked at, any deaths are not good and maybe rider education is needed and schemes like bikesafe and the likes could be more widespread.

I've been learning to ride for the past year and just saving up before applying to do the test and in that time i've avoided plenty of numptys pulling out, not looking when changing lanes on roundabouts, etc and only the fact i'm constantly looking for hazards i'd have been a "statistic" myself... however, like every form of transport there's people that go like idiots and think those people should be targetted... by trafpol!

However, when i'm out i can't say i've noticed any biker riding irrisponsably and think most riders understand the risks and ride accordingly, sure some ride fast... but then safety isn't about obeying speed limits...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 15:01 
User

I have and ride a motorcycle and thought I would add a couple of points for consideration

The increase in the number of motorcycle accidents may also be linked to the weather, particularly in the born again bikers. This is because for the most part these riders are only riding for pleasure they do not have to ride in bad weather and riding in the rain is not pleasant.

So the good summer we had last year = more motorcycle miles = more accidents.

Paulcdb. Glad to welcome you to the fun of two wheeled travel. But I'm afraid I'll have to take the rose coloured glasses off you. There may be slightly less idiotic riders as opposed to car drivers. But there are a number of bikers who should not be allowed on the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 16:02 

I was on the motorway the other day on my bike. Riding at 70mph overtaking slow moving traffic. A bike went past me at about 80 followed by a police car with its lights flashing. The bike was about 10 lengths past me and pulled over onto the hard sholder. The police car pulled in front of me about one length away then slammed on the brakes to stop behind the bike. He could easily out-brake me. I did an emergency stop to avoid running into the back of him. I was tempted to stop and have it out but I think it would have been counter productive.

If I had been killed who's fault would it be? Probably would have been down to me.

My point is that bad driving on the part of others can be fatal to Motorcyclists. I believe this is the cause of the increase not the "born again" myth that is used to tag new riders. it is easy to alienate a group when you can put a label on them, so be careful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 20:22 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

I returned to biking last year having had a lay-off for ten years. I may well be representative of the majority of "30 somethings" that come back to biking.

In the last year i have done 40,000 miles on my bike as I traded in the Jaguar and use it as my company car.

I personally believe that the 14% is broadly in line with the increase in bike users and usage. Motorcycle use has been growing at a rate of 10-20% for the last five years accoring to the MCIA.

It is true that there is an alarming increase in the casualties from single vehicle accidents and in particular running wide on bends, but |I would hazard a guess that the figures will be down this year and that will be related to the weather not being as good rather than any intervention from the safety agencies.

FWIW I understand that if I ride a bike I am more likely to be killed in an accident than if I was in the Jag. Thats my choice.