The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 15:57 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Isn't there a spec. on the quality of the mains supply somewhere?

Link

If you go to the bottom of the page you will notice voltages can vary between (-6% to +10%)

The last place I worked we quite often had things tripping due to overvoltage.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 04:16 
User

:lol:

In France, the telephone plugs are of a higher spec than their mains plugs!
The telephone jack is HUGE!

The French electrician who wired in my parents cooker when they moved there was in awe of our UK 13 amp plugs!
A lot of AC supplies there are delivered overhead to the outside of the house - and are prone to fluctuations due to a variety of circumstances - but generally the protection circuits trip out for spikes when they occur, and you have to press the reset button once or twice a year!

Now do you have the figures for portable generators? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 07:54 

Ernest Marsh wrote:
I see the expert witness made no mention of spikes in the mains, and fluctuations in the frequency of the AC, or the effects this could have on electronics.

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Generators... not a good substitute for mains unless of a reasonable standard - yet there is no mention of the type employed in the report!

:liar:

I saw that report about a week ago Ernest, and I meant to mention it to you. But I didn't see the recent date, so I had assumed that Callaghan was just seconded to the "dream team" :yuck: during his time at CSCP. I didn't realise he'd moved there, but it suits him down to the ground. What was it I said on the other thread? Ah yes:

bombus wrote:
I don't know what he's doing now but I suspect it's a job which is just as unworthy and mean-spirited as before.

He's a horrible, spiteful individual, but predictably so.

I detest the ethos of the "dream team". "We're going to convict people who are accused of speeding, whether it's legally justified or not, because they all know they're guilty and they're just trying to wriggle out of their convictions on technicalities." As if the right to a fair trial is something bad that should be circumvented. It's despicable. Quite how anyone can claim that the authorities aren't anti-motorist when they're so hell-bent on convicting them whether they're "legally guilty" or not is beyond me.

It's just another reason to ensure that Labour are jettisoned next election. This kind of chipping away at basic rights which should be assured in a modern, civilised society can't go on.

"The freedom provided by the motor vehicle is not universally applauded, however: there are those who resent the loss of state control over individual choice that the car represents. Such people rarely admit their prejudices openly; instead, they make false or exaggerated claims about the adverse effects of road transport in order to justify calls for higher taxation or restrictions on mobility." (Conservative Way Forward: Stop The War Against Drivers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 08:53 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Ernest Marsh wrote:
:lol:

Now do you have the figures for portable generators? :wink:

Earnest,

Sorry about that. The problem with generators is that voltage output can vary from model to model. So you would have to know the model being use for the camera supply at that time. I found this little snippet from a page I've got about generators.

Quote:
The ability of a generator to maintain voltage in a narrow range around 120 or 240 volts is critical in situations where loads (particularly electric motors) are regularly cycled on and off. The effectiveness of voltage regulation is designed into each generator model, and varies significantly from model to model. Higher priced units generally (but not always) will have better regulation. The only meaningful way of expressing the level of voltage regulation is as a + or - percentage above or below the rated voltage. Fore example, 240 volts with a rating of ±2% would mean the voltage range would be 235.2V to 244.8V. For units without a specific plus or minus value it is not uncommon to find voltage output varying by as much as ±15% to 20%. If your usage involves significant variation in load values, or if you will be running sensitive electrical equipment, or if you plan to run the generator for significant numbers of hours, voltage regulation in the ±2% to 5% may be worth the extra cost.

Sorry I couldn’t have been of more help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:06 
User

No Dixie - you just confirmed what I knew already.

Two of my larger customers are Parsons Peebles Generation, and Brush Electrical Machines!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 13:55 

This lot might be able to help:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/pbo

It's a boatie forum I sometimes hang out on and there're often talking about generators. There are some really bright people on that forum, so it's possible that someone will be able to come up with something sensible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 15:55 
User

Quote:
If your usage involves significant variation in load values, or if you will be running sensitive electrical equipment, or if you plan to run the generator for significant numbers of hours, voltage regulation in the ±2% to 5% may be worth the extra cost.

The conditions of use should reflect the above - and the smoothness of the supply should be guaranteed no matter what is supplying the power.
A voltage recorder should be a minimum requirement for the results to stand in court - and not be recorded by a company with a vested interest in telling you nothing is wrong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 23:44 
User

Sorted

Last edited by Ernest Marsh on Sun Apr 13, 2008 07:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 00:46 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

All - please heed the sticky/announcement at the top of this forum group.

Not saying anyone has overstepped, but... please be aware of the inordinate work it makes for me if we get a complaint coming in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 08:56 

"The freedom provided by the motor vehicle is not universally applauded, however: there are those who resent the loss of state control over individual choice that the car represents. Such people rarely admit their prejudices openly; instead, they make false or exaggerated claims about the adverse effects of road transport in order to justify calls for higher taxation or restrictions on mobility." (Conservative Way Forward: Stop The War Against Drivers)

Last edited by bombus on Sun Apr 13, 2008 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 09:44 
User

Roger wrote:
All - please heed the sticky/announcement at the top of this forum group.

Not saying anyone has overstepped, but... please be aware of the inordinate work it makes for me if we get a complaint coming in.

Are you suggesting the word EXPERT when coupled to WITNESS is in some way inappropriate? :wink:
Sorry, I wont do it again! 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 14:02 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

:hehe:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:43 
User

cerberus wrote:
For anyone from CSCP reading this, the problem that Ernest reported to you is due to a malformed <A...> string.

You have :
<a href="http://www.cumbriasafetycameras.org/qapage.htm"</a> here </a>

when it should be :
<a href="http://www.cumbriasafetycameras.org/qapage.htm"> here </a>

It would appear that IE can handle this mistake (I suppose it has to seeing as Microsoft have a habit of not sticking to the HTML standards).

I do this free of charge but if you'd like to make a donation to Safe Speed to cover the 2 minutes it took me to find the problem. I'm sure that we would all be pleased.

At long last, I am pleased to report that CSCP have finally got around to fixing the malformed <A..> string for which solution Cerberus kindly handed to them some time ago. :typing: I don't suppose a donation arrived - they will claim they found and fixed this themselves if previous behaviour is any guide!! :x

At long last Firefox users can click the link and not have to resort to copying and pasting the URL into the browser.
I mean... in this day and age, what a ridiculous state of affairs! :roll:

Unfortunately the improvements to the site stop short of providing any credible evidence that SPEED cameras are having a real effect, and not vehicle design or mere circumstance! :book:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 00:10 

...or, indeed, the road improvements in the Cumberland Gap - which one could usually bank on for a few KSIs!