Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The way forward
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 17:31 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I’ll start by saying that, since coming over to Thailand I’ve learned just how everything shouldn’t be with regards the world as a whole and especially road safety, which affects peoples livelihoods. There will never be anything that will suit every country and the people within those countries. What it comes down to is finding a happy medium, this happy medium should be the basis for an internationally standardised code of practice, of which every country will abide by. There should be an international committee set up from representatives of each country. Those representatives should come from a properly educated back ground and, will have been fairly selected by the "people" of each individual country. This committee will form the basis for a democratic whole society who, will only have the well being of the people who elected them at heart.

As for the SafeSpeed campaign I was very saddened (as with others here) when Paul Smith passed away. Even though I didn’t agree with everything he said I still believed he had the UK and best interest for its citizens at heart. To me Paul would have made a great ambassador to represent the people of the world in road safety. I believe Clair can carry on from where Paul left off and do him great justice.

Clare, could I make a suggestion on the forums. Could we set up an area split into five categories.

Lorries, Cars, Motorcycles, Peddle Cycles and Pedestrians.

Within these groups people from all walks would be allowed to debate and eventually, through a democratic poll, would come up with an agreed standard. When the world comes to peace, these standards should be set in stone and use as the basis for an international standard that "must" be adhered to throughout the world.

I also believe that this principle should be the basis for governing all international standards.

There is an evil force in our world today and you need to keep up the fight for a faIr and just society. The good will prevail and may the people who are trying to destroy our once beloved world perish in Hell.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The way forward
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 04:14 
Site Admin

Well A big TY for the very kind words. :D
Paul would be heartened too, by such noble thoughts, and flattered that his platform might bring such moral justice I am sure.

I only wish that I can carry his flag well, and one day feel justified that I might have done an OK job of it.

We do already have trucker, motorcyclists, cycle and of course 'car' areas, but all Road Safety and Cameras are discussed.
The additional discussion of pedestrians are also discussed as we are all sometimes one and the same - of course. :)
A discussion on an overall strategy for road safety is something that might need to be kept very simple.
Paul's 100 Word Highway Code would work very well as it's basis is stemmed from the Driver's (Rider's) perspective.

SAFE SPEED wrote:
SAFE SPEED'S HIGHWAY CODE IN 100 WORDS

Drive on the left. Make sure you can see and be seen. Keep a constant look-out all around. Be aware of signs and regulations and why they are there. Be predictable.

Recognise and anticipate danger and keep clear space from it. Always ensure that you can stop within the distance that you know is clear. Develop your skills.

Give courtesy, co-operation and space to others. Don't obstruct them.

Never take risks, drive unfit or compete with others.

Safety is paramount and far more important than priority. Take personal responsibility for your safety and the safety of those nearby.

ENJOY.

Post subject: Re: The way forward
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 09:24 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I’ve read (Sir) Pauls Highway Code before, basic, easy for “everyone” to understand, yet to the point. It makes for a good principle on which most other standards should be based. The rest is down to proper education and development of people from an early age.

Ever since joining Safe Speed I’d always admired Paul for all the hard work he put into the development of the site, so many sleepless nights, yet still there the next day. Both Paul, you and not to mention all your supporters, deserve all the credit you get. Me, I was just another victim of a relentless Governmental onslaught. :)