Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 03:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:28 
New User
New User

I have received a NOTICE OF INTENDED PROSECUTION for travelling at 40mph in a 30mph speed limit. I was not driving. The paragraph giving instructions on what to do if I was not driving contains a grammatical mistake which makes it nonsense:

"IF YOU WERE NOT THE DRIVER of the vehicle at the time of the alleged offence and you are required to give any information in your power which may lead to the driver's identification by completing AND SIGNING Section B as appropriate overleaf."

I suspect it should read: "IF YOU WERE NOT THE DRIVER of the vehicle at the time of the alleged offence then you are required to give any information in your power which may lead to the driver's identification by completing AND SIGNING Section B as appropriate overleaf." or perhaps the word "and" after “offence” should not be there. Then again it could also be that a crucial part of the sentence is missing.

Does this make the notice legally invalid? I am tempted to reply pointing out the the notice is invalid because the very instruction I need contains a grammatical mistake rendering it useless. By the time they are able to respond the 14 days will be over and they will not have sent me a valid notice within the allotted timeframe. Opinions and advice please.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:06 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

PePiPoo would be a good place to ask this question.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 14:35 
New User
New User

Steve wrote:

I tried and was asked for £22.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 15:00 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Bob Llewelyn wrote:
Steve wrote:

Oh, I am not aware they started charging for their services. Is that for 'membership' to get you into the Bad Boys And Girls (BB&G) area? Are they refusing to help you at all until you pay that membership?

Can anyone confirm that PePiPoo are now charging, and for what exactly?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 15:45 
New User
New User

Steve wrote:
Bob Llewelyn wrote:
Steve wrote:

Oh, I am not aware they started charging for their services. Is that for 'membership' to get you into the Bad Boys And Girls (BB&G) area? Are they refusing to help you at all until you pay that membership?

Can anyone confirm that PePiPoo are now charging, and for what exactly?

I was routed into an area with 4 solicitors online. I typed in my question and was then asked how much I was willing to pay for the advice with a suggested price of £22. I back out immediately.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 18:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's not my understanding of Pepipoo :?

I don't check-in there very often but I think they carry sponsors, who could possibly/potentially rip you off, so are you absolutely sure this is Pepipoo and not a sponsor?

I'm not sure what you mean by "routed"?

BTW, I like your style. ;)

:welcome:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 20:44 
New User
New User

I went back to Pepipoo to see what I did. I had typed my query into the box titled "ASK AN ONLINE SOLICITOR" on their homepage without realising that wasn't actually Pepipoo. I see now that there is a forum on there so I'll register and have another go.

But does anybody on this forum have an opinion on whether my plan holds water?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 21:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Bob Llewelyn wrote:
I went back to Pepipoo to see what I did. I had typed my query into the box titled "ASK AN ONLINE SOLICITOR" on their homepage without realising that wasn't actually Pepipoo. I see now that there is a forum on there so I'll register and have another go.

But does anybody on this forum have an opinion on whether my plan holds water?

No - but you could try ( after removing all/any personal content so as not to be able to be identified,as certain SCP persons do troll these sites),
post a question ,in general terms on PH, IN "speed,plod & the law"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 16:09 
Magistrate
Magistrate

The penalty for not returning a correctly filled out s172 is 6 points. Even if the original offence is dropped.

You are free to challenge this in court. The test would be whether or not the wording was so obscure that a reasonable person would fail to understand the true meaning.

I am not a lawyer and can't give legal advice. I do have experience of the day to day working of courts and use that knowledge to help where possible. I do not represent any official body and post as an individual.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 19:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

fisherman wrote:
The penalty for not returning a correctly filled out s172 is 6 points. Even if the original offence is dropped.

You are free to challenge this in court. The test would be whether or not the wording was so obscure that a reasonable person would fail to understand the true meaning.

So if Engslush wusnt my fist language? :roll:

Mr Tone Imgaby

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 20:45 
Site Admin

:welcome: Bob Llewelyn

You need to take proper legal advise, pepipoo is a good place for that - they have a NIP advice section and as you have already found a good forum to ask this question there.
I am not a lawyer and cannot advise you. The following are a few of my own thoughts on the matter only.

As suggested the precise (potentially inappropriate) wording may not relinquish you of the required responsibility to respond. I cannot see that this will negate you, or the driver too, of the alleged offence.
The Court will expect you respond as Fisherman has so advised already. The 14 day rule is that they need to provide you with the NIP which has been done to you. It is your responsibility as I understand it, to notify the appropriate authority, as to who you consider the driver may be. I would also notify the person to whom I think was driving too so that they have the earliest notification of the alleged offence.

Bob Llewelyn wrote:
I have received a NOTICE OF INTENDED PROSECUTION for travelling at 40mph in a 30mph speed limit. I was not driving. The paragraph giving instructions on what to do if I was not driving contains a grammatical mistake which makes it nonsense:
"IF YOU WERE NOT THE DRIVER of the vehicle at the time of the alleged offence and you are required to give any information in your power which may lead to the driver's identification by completing AND SIGNING Section B as appropriate overleaf."
I agree that this is very odd wording. It will be about precision in Law and whether it is sufficient to provide alleged Notification, I believe.