Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 03:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 28 Day Ban!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 21:53 
New User
New User

I was in court on 16th September this year for driving without due car and attention.

I got banned for 28 days, does the 16th count as my first day and what will be the date I am validly allowed to drive again?

Thanks!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 28 Day Ban!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 09:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would have expected some documentation which makes it clear? I’d be very reluctant to drive on an assumption if I were you. If I got stopped I’d like be able to show the officer some paperwork which clearly shows I am legally entitled to drive, as driving while banned carries a much heavier sentence. If I was in any doubt I would make enquiries.

For the sake of a day I would take it as the 17th though, and take it easy ;)

Take care..

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:30 
New User
New User

All the documentation I have is from the court saying my ban length of 28 days - no date as to when my ban is up.

I think I'm going to leave it until the 17th, I can imagine it to be just my luck that I get stopped!

Thanks anyway!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 17:27 
Site Admin

Call the Court that dealt with your case and issued the paperwork. Did you have to surrender your licence ?
I assume so, as they will have needed to endorse it. Have you got it back yet - also with any paperwork.
Do not forget to inform your insurance company too.

The Court clerk is the person that you want - they ought to be able to refer to their files and help you.

It is never a good idea to take a chance if you are unsure I am surprised that you do not have any paperwork or anything that indicates the precise dates.
I would use 28 days inclusive then go out on the 29th but you need to take proper legals advice on this. [I am not a lawyer and cannot advise you.]
DanGreenMan wrote:
I was in court on 16th September this year for driving without due car and attention.

I got banned for 28 days, does the 16th count as my first day and what will be the date I am validly allowed to drive again?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 18:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Do not forget to inform your insurance company too.

That's right SS2, it will affect his premium as well as being a legal requirement of course.

If it was for speeding, however, it wouldn't affect his premium.

What does that tell everyone? (Rhetorical)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 07:25 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:

Not necessarily true.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 08:50 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

Not necessarily true.

Yes, 3 points for speeding is unlikely to affect your premium nowadays, but any kind of ban, whether through totting-up or a one-off offence, almost certainly will.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 09:31 
Supporter
Supporter

PeterE wrote:
Yes, 3 points for speeding is unlikely to affect your premium nowadays, but any kind of ban, whether through totting-up or a one-off offence, almost certainly will.

It affected mine - about a fiver on a two hundred pound premium.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
PeterE wrote:

Call me a liar for a the price of a pint why don't you. :doh:

I was basing it on a thing I did some time ago, which I mentioned in another thread, using an online company called eBike by submitting various, fake, endorsements. Even a second speeding conviction only made it go up by £30 but a baddy like going through a red light or illegally across double white lines made it double!

Try it for yourself...

http://www.ebikeinsurance.co.uk/

or

http://www.ecarinsurance.co.uk/

Actually, it may well depend on other things like your age and type of vehicle etc. I don't know. Maybe you were going at 100mph in a Hummer you young tearaway? :lol:

Last edited by Big Tone on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:40 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
PeterE wrote:

I did say "unlikely". See here:

Insurers 'ignoring speed penalties'

Underlines the point that insurers are carrying out a dispassionate assessment of risks, not making value judgments.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 13:44 
Life Member
Life Member

I actually asked an insurance telesales person who sounded quite switched on why one SP30 made no difference, and she said that so many people have them that it's no longer considered a risk factor.

As I've said before, catching everyone for speeding is achieving exactly the opposite effect from the apparent desire to make speeding "as antisocial as drink driving". It's now considered more normal than it was twenty years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 14:00 
Supporter
Supporter

Johnnytheboy wrote:
As I've said before, catching everyone for speeding is achieving exactly the opposite effect from the apparent desire to make speeding "as antisocial as drink driving". It's now considered more normal than it was twenty years ago.

Indeed. All but the most hard-line consider a speed conviction to be the result of bad luck rather than bad driving. And even the hard-liners tend to change their tune when they are caught.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 14:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
Indeed. All but the most hard-line consider a speed conviction to be the result of bad luck rather than bad driving. And even the hard-liners tend to change their tune when they are caught.
:yesyes: & :clap:

There should be an award for the most spot-on truthful statement of the day. I'm onto it...

Some time later and one edit...

Of course, I can take it back if a better one comes along ;) It's only for keeps after midnight :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 15:09 
Supporter
Supporter

Thank you Tony. I shall treasure that award. And I have locked it in my safe so you can't take it back :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 19:14 
Life Member
Life Member

If you quote it...
Big Tone wrote:

...he can't!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 19:39 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Johnnytheboy wrote:
If you quote it...

Unless it is hotlinked (hosted from an external site) - which it is ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 21:16 
Supporter
Supporter

Sorry chaps. Not reading your banter :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 23:37 
Site Admin

... banter over ....
and back on topic;
He was banned for without due care & attention so the insurance premium willl be effected, how much will depend on which Insurance Company and all of their personal driving/ riding details, of course.