The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 03:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Speed Camera Anomaly
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 00:29 
New User
New User

Hi

This is my first posting as I have just registered. I was recently flashed by a speed camera whilst travelling at approx 37 mph with the speed limit been 40 mph. The area in days previous was limited to 30 mph with 1 lane coned off, but I was flashed with no 30 mph signs present and no roadworks were taking place. The last sign I saw was for 40 mph. The camera flashed twice so I am now expecting a 'N.I.P' in the post. I will not pay the fine or take the points. Any advice.

King regards.

Mrk

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Anomoly
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 01:15 
Site Admin

:welcome: mrk

When they change the speed limit of the road, there has to be an Order made & approved by the Local Council. So the time frame that applies to all changes is precisely recorded and noted.
Therefor the dates and changes will be verifiable. However, notify the local Council, Police and Camera Partnership, (if you have one) immediately, of this error. The local Council has a legal obligation to the Government to apply the rules properly.
If you wish to notify me directly of this location I can alert the Local authorities of a potential error. It would be good to make others aware of this too.
If the error is proven then they should never send out any NIP's under the posted limit.
If signs have been removed then ensure that you have proof - a National Newspaper photographed at the location with the speed limits obvious will provide some evidence. Retain the newspaper as proof too of course.
A worrying experience.

(I am not a Lawyer and I cannot advise you - it is always sensible to seek proper legal advice.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 01:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Might be worth mrk's time getting out there with a camera ,and getting some evidence recorded . So that in event of SCP saying that the signs were in place on that day ( always looking to make a killing ,our SCP friends) ,he cn prove they weren't .

Edited in hindsight in light of ss2's comments -my apps

Last edited by botach on Sun Jan 08, 2012 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 03:17 
Site Admin

I encourage good & fair debating of topics on Safe Speed (no personal attacks), this includes those who have opposing opinions.

Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Anomaly
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 13:54 

Round our way they have a habit of only changing the limit signs about 12 months after the speed limit order comes in (although there was one that got changed before the order). They never put up signs saying "speed limit change" which would help but seem keen to put up signs saying "road layout change" when there's an island right in front of you that you couldn't really miss...funny thing is, if speed limits are such an aid to road safety, you would expect them to want to make it as obvious as possible to the public, when a limit has changed....before the camera vans start leeching us like circling vultures.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 14:18 
Site Admin

A good point. The signs are there for them to inform and to help the motoring public keep legal and safe. A letter to your local Council with dates and locations might yeild an interesting response. You can send me the details for that query if you can furnish me with them ? :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 21:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

graball wrote:
Round our way they have a habit of only changing the limit signs about 12 months after the speed limit order comes in (although there was one that got changed before the order). They never put up signs saying "speed limit change" which would help but seem keen to put up signs saying "road layout change" when there's an island right in front of you that you couldn't really miss...funny thing is, if speed limits are such an aid to road safety, you would expect them to want to make it as obvious as possible to the public, when a limit has changed....before the camera vans start leeching us like circling vultures.

Like that in our county .Last time I saw this ,I phoned them to ask why no advice signs in place .Only comment was that they'd check if any were in place .Somehow i missed the entry sign had been changed .Can't think why as I spotted the paint difference on the lamp posts where the :40: repeaters used to be ,and as a precaution slowed down .Since then ,noticed that entry sign has also been moved nearer the entry- in a more obscure position - wonder why ?Similarly , there's a site for a van , well off road , with a lot of concealment possibilities . Cash or safety -you decide .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 23:49 
New User
New User

Update

Just to let you know I never heard anything regarding the speed camera flash. Shame as I was armed with my evidence and ready for the fight !

Thanks for your replies.

Mrk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 00:04 
Site Admin

Good news :)

Anything that may arrive now will be out of time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 00:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Good news :)

Anything that may arrive now will be out of time.

But ,if recieved - any NIP MUST be responded to as to driver ID- ( to save penalties on the failure ti ID driver) , but can be disputed on the time out . ( as far as I read postings on NIPS,out of time - no doubt some of our SCP friends will ( or will not ) come along to strike fear into our newbie.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 03:02 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

mrk wrote:
Hi

This is my first posting as I have just registered. I was recently flashed by a speed camera whilst travelling at approx 37 mph with the speed limit been 40 mph. The area in days previous was limited to 30 mph with 1 lane coned off, but I was flashed with no 30 mph signs present and no roadworks were taking place. The last sign I saw was for 40 mph. The camera flashed twice so I am now expecting a 'N.I.P' in the post. I will not pay the fine or take the points. Any advice.

King regards.

Mrk

The last sign you (correctly) saw being 40mph doesn't mean the limit further on was 30mph, although if the limit really was 30mph then it would suggest an error with the signage.

If the vehicle was (correctly) registered in your name, then assuming you have not received a NIP by now, you should be in the clear.

If you did receive a NIP than please do let us know, as well as the folks on PePiPoo.com (take note of their FAQ page).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 23:04 
Site Admin

Steve wrote:
mrk wrote:
This is my first posting as I have just registered. I was recently flashed by a speed camera whilst travelling at approx 37 mph with the speed limit been 40 mph.

The last sign you (correctly) saw being 40mph doesn't mean the limit further on was 30mph, although if the limit really was 30mph then it would suggest an error with the signage.

Although 30's should be clear from lamp post positioning of course, but a very good point.