Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 08:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nicole Goes For GOLD!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:09 
User

Way to Go Nicole :clap:

Nicole Cooke has just taken the GOLD in the women's road race. Apparently the conditions were just AWFUL.. torrential rain :shock: Several crashed out of the race. But Nicole sprinted cooly and casually to the finish line :bow: :clap:

:drink2:

I think GB is fielding one of the best teams this time. :clap:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:08 
User

Even more medal success for our cycling champs this last few days! :clap: Well done chaps :drink2:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 13:01 
Life Member
Life Member

In Gear wrote:
Apparently the conditions were just AWFUL.. torrential rain

I thought it was down to her having a natural advantage due to the British climate. ;)

Lads and lasses out there doing a great job. :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 19:17 
User

Chris Hoy.. Bradley Wiggins :bounce: :clap: :bighand: :drink2: :drink: :bounce1:

Oh .. and I had better not forget the golden and bronzed girls in the swimming pool .. along with the equestrian team's achievement. :clap:

Team GB .. as a whole.. Well done and I guess we are gonna be hard pressed to say which one should be Sports Personality of the Year.. but my vote would be for Nicole. She lost out to Zara Phillips .. and I know some might say she had the edge as the Queen's grand-daughter.. but I have to say this gal has talent in her chosen sport and comes across as "normal" despite her so-called "blue blood" :popcorn: At the time .. her achievement in equestiran sport was an achievement .... which was hard on Nicole whose efforts must have run a tight second that year.

But Olympic gold and consistent class.. surely she must be the winner this time.
Oh .. would it not be lovely and a really tough choice if the competition this time was purely amongst the GB cyclists.. and what a BOOST for the sport and commuter cycling that would be :wink:

But let me applaud all who make it that level in each sporting event. It takes a good deal of dedication .. nurturing a talent.. developing its potential.. and that talent still requires a constant practice. Whatever the position . they achieved .. and I know, young Tom, the 14 year old diver will become a legend in his field when he matures to full manhood.

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 09:29 
User

Bolton Press wrote:
Bolton's Olympic golden boy 'totally chuffed'
3:30pm Friday 15th August 2008

By Amanda Smith »

Farnworth's Jason Kenny is celebrating with his parents in Beijing after becoming Bolton's first ever Olympic gold medal winner.

The British three of Kenny, Jamie Staff and Chris Hoy saw off France in the team sprint final.

Delighted Kenny said: "We had no idea what we could do really. When I saw the time for the first ride on the board I thought I must have read it wrong."

And his proud dad Michael, aged 47, said: “Obviously this is a fantastic achievement.

“We have known for a long time that he is special when it comes to cycling but we did not expect him to progress quite this quickly.

“We are so pleased for him and are hopefully going to get to see him tomorrow when he has a rest day.

“We haven’t spoken to him properly yet, he came up the track and gave us a hug after he crossed the finish line and we said well done and congratulations.

“He was as you would expect, totally chuffed. This is what he has been aiming for. It is the ultimate achievement for an athelete.”

Teammate Hoy reserved special praise for 20-year-old Kenny, adding: “He’s young and talented and not fazed by the pressure at all, he’s perfect for the team.”

They had finished second to France at the World Championships earlier this year but always looked in control to win the Olympic final by 0.523secs.

Germany defeated Australia by 0.008secs to take the bronze medal.

The team sprint medal is GB's eighth of the Games and never looked in doubt as the sprint trio dominated the competition.

They opened with a ride of 42.950secs, the fastest time of the competition, with Staff riding the opening leg in 17.19secs.

GB secured their place in the final with a time of 43.034.

The gold is the second of Hoy's Olympic career after he won the 1km time trial four years ago.

JASON KENNY FACTFILE

Born: March 23, 1988 in Bolton

Lives: Bolton

The baby of the team - 15 years younger than Staff - Kenny is one of the rising stars of the British track team after he was spotted as a 12-year-old racing at the Manchester velodrome. He won all three sprint titles at the 2006 junior world championships in Belgium

It seems that Jason was cycling as soon as "he could walk" :lol: and started to show his "competitive side" when he was just a three year old tot according to his older brother :lol: Apparently he taught himself to ride without stabilsers :yikes: because he saw his older brother's bike did not have them and he was determined to be the same :lol:
:rotfl:

He joined a cycling club at age 13 and his Mum would DRIVE (note..:legorally: DRIVE :steering: :wink:) him to sessions three to four times per week ..

BN wrote:
Like the rest .. Jason does not drink.. so did not quaff champagne after his win as he will be competing tomorrow. He follows a strict diet to maintain his fitness

But :clap: :bow: :bounce: Well done :drink: :drink2: :bighand:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 20:28 
User

Let's hear it for Chris Hoy. who scored a hat trick of golds and who DRIVESZ a decent BMW :lol: // and :drink: :drink2: . Bradley Wiggins .. and the rest who trained at the MANCHESTER VELODROME :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.