Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Motorcycle THINK! , new?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 13:31 
Life Member
Life Member

Just seen what I believe is a new motorcycle Think! safety film on channel 5. Chap riding along on his sports bike sees a series of messages warning him about hazards, a diesel spill, hidden dip, cow pat, van about to turn right, etc. These are sometimes road signs and sometimes written on the back of vehicles, one is held by a hitch hiker. The biker arrives safely then has a bird poo on him as he takes his lid off. The message is that having all of these signs would be great, but they do not exist so you have to think about what you are doing.

No mention of speed limits at all.

Now most experienced riders or drivers would see these signs by reading the road, maybe this is what is being pointed out. If this is the case then the obvious inference is that bikers are worthy of being told to think for themselves. So why are drivers not seen as being capable of doing so?

Is it something to do with bikers coming off worse if a mistake is made? The need to develop skills is there as a survival requirement for bikers because of the vulnerability compared with being inside a car? So why are there not similar films for pedestrians?

Edit to add
The video is called perfect day and appears to be from 2004. So much for new, odd that I have never seen it before though, maybe it is not shown too often.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 04:00 
Site Admin

Sorry to some in late on this one - seen it TONS up here in Scotland but how many bikers see it up here - they are usually all riding the roads ! :)

Anyone found who the Production Company is for the Bike one?
I think it very interesting that they have not seen the need to do a similar one for car drivers unless there was of course and perhaps (if so) it was canceled ? I find it good because it gets the right message over clearly and simply with a little humour, although any experienced rider will have no bother seeing or allowing for the potential & actual hazards that they show.
I wonder if they do not have a similar one for other vehicles (cars especially), because they don't see the 'need', as you say riders are more vulnerable, and so lives are at risk. They have to be seen to be trying to do 'something'. Not that car's and driver's cannot be vulnerable too - just less obviously so.
The dumb down driving they appear to be satisfied with drivers achieving, (it would seem) does not require 'pre-thought' and 'thinking'. :( [After all cars are so safe these days, why should the government be responsible for proper road safety messages ! :( ]
I would LOVE to start making our own Road Safety Films ... in fact if a few were happy to come up here then we could look at making a start :) I even have access to a private airfield. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 18:17 

I haven't seen the film mentioned but it does sound like a very good idea and DEFINATELY something that should be aimed at car drivers as well.

If we can actually get people thinking about actual hazards in the road like lying water, leaves or mud on a shady lane when wet etc, then they might actually take their eyes and minds off just their speedos, for more than just a few moments and actually THINK about driving properly.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:50 
Site Admin

Yep absolutely & for sure - so sad this Gov can't see it !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 00:34 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
graball wrote:
I haven't seen the film mentioned but it does sound like a very good idea and DEFINATELY something that should be aimed at car drivers as well.

If we can actually get people thinking about actual hazards in the road like lying water, leaves or mud on a shady lane when wet etc, then they might actually take their eyes and minds off just their speedos, for more than just a few moments and actually THINK about driving properly.

Add roads on a shady lane when the temps drop , fresh mud tracks on a B road (tractor ahead ) --all the things once associated with driving on country lanes ,but now ,alas a forgotten dream ---- all thanks to the panacea of obeying the limit - where the limit should be that of common sense and safe driving .( OR as Paul defined it -"the DISTANCE YOU CAN SAFELY STOP IN ") .
Perhaps in the country the slogan should be "THINK OF THE RABBITS " -OR Don't marmalise a tractor ( like the butter ad -"DU ..., DU ....,---THEN WE SEE DU TRACTEUR

Perhaps if the gov't ads could get the average driver to start looking out for hazards ( and perhaps a campaign of identifying them ) then we MIGHT see some realization of what driving is about - recognizing hazards ( preferably before they become dangerous) and taking action to negate them .Perhaps a campaign to encourage drivers to promote courteous behavior might be a good start .( ie -do unto the other driver as you might wish them to do to you )

As our simple meercats might say "simple ,neet"