Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 07:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DVLA does it again
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 17:34 
User

By that I mean rubbed me up the wrong way.

I recently recieved a letter from them impoosing a £80 "penalty" (halved if paid within a week) on me because a vehicle I no longer own does not have a tax disc or SORN. They say that since their records show me as the registered keeper, I am responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is taxed.

I suspect that this is the law, but if so I take great exception for it. For the following reasons

1. I don't own the vehicle, so how can I be responsible for it? What is in DVLA records is not within my control, but I have a record of the sale.

2. If the vehicle is kept on private property and not used on a public road, it is none of their damn business what is done with it. They are responsible for processing licence applications, nothing else. If any offence is committed, such as using an untaxed vehicle on the public highway, surely that is the business of the police.

3. Why does the DVLA have the right to impose fines whenever they feel like it in cotravention of the English Bill of Rights 1679. Even if they claim, as they do, that the penalty is an offer which if refused will reult in prosecution (which no doubt would succeed) it is subverting one of the most basic statutes of English law! Yes, I know that other organisations do it too.

Perhaps I should impose a penalty on DVLA myself, since I have been waiting for three months for a replacement registration document for another vehicle which their database (and the original registration document) says is a Renault although it is a Ford (I bought the vehicle new). Will they fine me if I am unable to tax that vehicle due to not having the registration document?

Grrr..

Profile Send private message