Type cars on a pan 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Type cars on a pan 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Preferred (better learning) cars on the Pan 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Preferred (better learning) cars on the Pan 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Preferred (better learning) 'spider' system 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Preferred (better learning) 'spider' system 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Don't mind learning on either system was fine 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Don't mind learning on either system was fine 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Practice where and when I can, to learn and improve (e.g. empty car parks/ private ground, etc) 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Practice where and when I can, to learn and improve (e.g. empty car parks/ private ground, etc) 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
No intention of going again (would like you to explain why - please) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No intention of going again (would like you to explain why - please) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hope to go onto a skid pan again (cars or 'spider') 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Hope to go onto a skid pan again (cars or 'spider') 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Other opinion 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Other opinion 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 70
 Post subject: Re: Skid Pan Course
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 19:04 

I've often wondered about bungy straps....easily fitted, one size fits all ...probably wouldn't last long but if they get you up that one hill that threatens to stop you getting home???

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 19:11 

for those of us who like to practice on deserted car parks/industrial estates etc....here's a warning that Big Brother may be watching you and not wish/like you to practice or improve.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/2010/01/0 ... rt-battle/

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 01:30 
Site Admin

I have split this thread and for the discussion about rider skills on the public highway goto : Wheelie bid biker wins court battle (Rider skills on the Road) edited.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 23:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
graball wrote:
for those of us who like to practice on deserted car parks/industrial estates etc....here's a warning that Big Brother may be watching you and not wish/like you to practice or improve.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/2010/01/0 ... rt-battle/

i've never found any problems with Warks finest on keeping my hand in on skid control on an icy car park . For most of them -it's a thumbs up ,as someone who wishes to get to gris with conditions and be safe .
i voted "self taught" -as in an old Wolseley 1500 with two rearv tyres of differing sizes , on A830 ,between Lochailort and Glenfinnan ,finding car going sideways ( driver side to water) and on correction (driver side to ditch ,away from water) , and then after more correction , heading straight down road . ( with pants severely steaming).Since then ,I've sought to keep my skid control up to date . And in winter of 78 - it proved crucial - headed from Middlesbrough to Edinburgh - with roads closing behind me . Took us seven hours .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:43 

Quote:
i've never found any problems with Warks finest on keeping my hand in on skid control on an icy car park . For most of them -it's a thumbs up ,as someone who wishes to get to gris with conditions and be safe .
i voted "self taught" -as in an old Wolseley 1500 with two rearv tyres of differing sizes , on A830 ,between Lochailort and Glenfinnan ,finding car going sideways ( driver side to water) and on correction (driver side to ditch ,away from water) , and then after more correction , heading straight down road . ( with pants severely steaming).Since then ,I've sought to keep my skid control up to date . And in winter of 78 - it proved crucial - headed from Middlesbrough to Edinburgh - with roads closing behind me . Took us seven hours .

I think there is far too much "Elf and Softy" flying around now for most "authorities" to allow anyone to do anything remotely ,possibly, perhaps, dangerous ( even if you are the only one likely to get hurt).... unless a file of disclaimers is signed and six layers of cotton wool is applied to the correct areas by a certified "engineer".

I was lucky to be working on an industrial estate that was an old world war two airfield just after passing my test, which had loads of unused side roads and was used by our local motorsport club for stage rallying every few months, so we would regularly "play" about in our lunch hour , honing our skills and we had some really great snowy winters in the seventies, to get plenty of ice and snow practice...best days of my life I think in the seventies....;-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 23:53 
Gold Member
Gold Member

graball wrote:
.best days of my life I think in the seventies....;-)

:clap: :clap: :clap: -I concur - but some of the old grumps on here will say different :D :D :x :wink:( Whoops- we're the old grumps of that age :D :D )

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 19:26 
Site Admin

graball wrote:
I think there is far too much "Elf and Softy" flying around now for most "authorities" to allow anyone to do anything remotely ,possibly, perhaps, dangerous ( even if you are the only one likely to get hurt).... unless a file of disclaimers is signed and six layers of cotton wool is applied to the correct areas by a certified "engineer".
Hasn't much of the H&S stemmed from Insurance cover expectations? They demand certain 'requirements' that may become unreasonable through years of mission creep.
So over years it can start to become what governs actions, lifestyle and behaviours, than merely provide the back up in times of need to ensure common sense practices, and fair & reasonable agreements to govern it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 22:55 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
]Hasn't much of the H&S stemmed from Insurance cover expectations? They demand certain 'requirements' that may become unreasonable through years of mission creep.

No - it's all about making sure that the firm /the managers cannot be prosecuted under HSE regs,and that if an accident occurs ,that the employee contributed to it .
Now we've got an army of folks that have never been involved in actually doing the job, telling those that's been doing it for longer than the "experts " have lived how to do it . And a lot of it is to do with productivity .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 23:10 

I had to laugh at the programme on H and S on the tele a couple of years ago. It showed an "expert" giving a ladder training course and going up a ladder, hitting his (nicely covered by yellow helmet) head on the ceiling...he obviously had a lot of experience climbing ladders...not!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 21:38 
Gold Member
Gold Member

graball wrote:
I had to laugh at the programme on H and S on the tele a couple of years ago. It showed an "expert" giving a ladder training course and going up a ladder, hitting his (nicely covered by yellow helmet) head on the ceiling...he obviously had a lot of experience climbing ladders...not!

My favourite to the HSE wombles is to ask for advice on working on a high( 8") false( suspended) ceiling ,where I might feel safer with some form of fall arrestor . Now just where do I attach .(And if the true ceiling is a lot higher ,how do I get up there Safely ,to place an attachment?)
Shades of "there's a hole in the bucket"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 22:32 

I heard about an electrician who was not allowed to stand on a group of office tables to change a flourescent tube...the office "experts" made him move all the tables to use a step ladder...I know which I would prefer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 22:37 

I also know a plumber who went to a woman's house and had to put a ladder up to an awkwardly placed tank to change a ball valve...she asked him if she ought to do it, as she had just been on a ladder safety course and he hadn't...he should have taken her up on her offer ...;-)