Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 09:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

What do you think the speed limit is on this stretch of road?
30mph 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
30mph 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
40mph 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
40mph 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
50mph 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
50mph 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
60mph/NSL 28%  28%  [ 30 ]
60mph/NSL 28%  28%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 106
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 08:19 
Site Admin

Sixy_the_red wrote:
Homer wrote:
TripleS wrote:

BTW, sorry about the side issue - but do we honestly derive much benefit from hazard lines? I don't, but what about you?

I find them very useful.

If I am on a twisty road waiting for an opportunity to overtake I will look out for the hzard lines ending around a bend as it tells me there is a stretch of good visibility around the corner and I can move up to the overtaking position rather than hanging on someones tail all the time.

You're assuming that the lines have been painted in the correct place though - I can think of examples where there are double white lines on stretches where its perfectly safe to overtake and likewise dashed lines where there isn't a hope in hell of a safe overtake.

Yeah but the lines don't tell you if it safe to overtake, they only tend to inform you that it might be safe to overtake. As such they are useful information in the early stages of considering an overtake. No more than that, but useful nevertheless.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 08:38 
User

Fair point Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 21:01 

SafeSpeed wrote:
Sixy_the_red wrote:
Homer wrote:
TripleS wrote:

BTW, sorry about the side issue - but do we honestly derive much benefit from hazard lines? I don't, but what about you?

I find them very useful.

If I am on a twisty road waiting for an opportunity to overtake I will look out for the hzard lines ending around a bend as it tells me there is a stretch of good visibility around the corner and I can move up to the overtaking position rather than hanging on someones tail all the time.

You're assuming that the lines have been painted in the correct place though - I can think of examples where there are double white lines on stretches where its perfectly safe to overtake and likewise dashed lines where there isn't a hope in hell of a safe overtake.

Yeah but the lines don't tell you if it safe to overtake, they only tend to inform you that it might be safe to overtake. As such they are useful information in the early stages of considering an overtake. No more than that, but useful nevertheless.

Yep, just using them as a hint, to make my driving less stressful. Obviously I'm not going to leap out from behind a HGV on the grounds that the road markings have changed. I might miss some opportunities due to badly placed markings but I am getting a benefit by not hanging on someones bumper for mile after mile. It also helps ease the eventual overtake because I don't wind up the driver in front.

Now if I had 100+bhp/ton I dare say I wouldn't need to move up close to overtake but I have 109bhp moving two tonnes so I need every advantage I can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 14:41 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
Sixy_the_red wrote:
Homer wrote:

I rather agree with Sixy. We appreciate that the broken lines do not indicate that it is safe to overtake, but I see many cases where there is no way a safe overtake could be made there. There are a number of example in my own area, but unfortunately I don't know how to put up pictures of them for you to see.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 22:27 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

and the answer is ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 23:14 
User

anyone know the answer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 23:24 

Although it looks like NSL, must be a 30 otherwise there would be little point to the poll!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 19:09 

It's :30: but not for the reason anyone here said.

This next picture explains why. And by the way, when my prosecution was brought, the :bib: claimed that all the signs had been checked and had found to be "in order". :liar:

Sorry for the late answer - I wanted to wait until my case was out of the way before posting some of these pics. I didn't think it would take this long!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 21:06 
User

bobmalcs wrote:
I'm likely completely wrong, but according to the centre line marking it seems to be 40 mph or less and a hazard up ahead.

my thoughts too. the lines give it away

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 21:12 
User

TripleS wrote:

they are broken so you can cross them. that is the only benefit i get. i tend not to bother looking at how long they are. broken or solid

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585