Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: transport managers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 17:26 
New User
New User

is it just my bad experiences or are there really that many transport managers out there that really do not have a clue

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: transport managers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 06:02 
User

generally speaking there are 2 types of transport manager. ex drivers or the ones that havent got a clue. occasionally both rolled into one

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 21:31 
User

thor74 wrote:
is it just my bad experiences or are there really that many transport managers out there that really do not have a clue

Yeah... I suspect they all work at our place !!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 19:33 
User

Outcast wrote:
thor74 wrote:

Yeah... I suspect they all work at our place !!

many years ago i worked for a family firm ran by 2 old hand drivers/bosses, we were never overworked, didnt do too many hrs, they always made a profit and depending how much would often share it with us.

THEN they retired propper and employed a manager :roll: we were overworked, under paid, and the best the firm ever did was break even....I left, I dont know what happened to the manager, did he come and work for you? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 14:36 
User

Herbie J wrote:
THEN they retired propper and employed a manager :roll: we were overworked, under paid, and the best the firm ever did was break even....I left, I dont know what happened to the manager, did he come and work for you? :lol:

sounds like he may have gone and become a MEP :lol:

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 23:32 
New User
New User

this was the type of t.m that expected you to work through your break everyday as a matter of course.any wonder i left after a month.what a tool he was.not a clue. :!:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 21:40 
User

Old saying applies to all industries and public services. Those that can do do. Those that can't manage those who can do :twisted: Yes I am cynicial it's my age

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 00:49 
User

Ian wrote:
Old saying applies to all industries and public services. Those that can do do. Those that can't manage those who can do :twisted: Yes I am cynicial it's my age

Perhaps the world needs to stop living by old sayings that are probably responsible for all the cockups . Lets try a new one.... 'Those that can, do. Those that cant should simply be given a brush and told to stop interfering'. :twisted: After all people who 'cant do' are people who simply cant do!

Its the same as 'Its not what you know its who you know'.....perhaps if people stopped sipping G&T and back slapping all and sundry and just surrounded themselves with those who know stuff, we would all be in a far more successful world than it has been up to now. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You don't nessasarly need to be able to do or be good at a particular job to be a manager, it is a different skill. It's all about getting men and machines in the right place at the right time and making decisions. A lot of managers will have skills that are transferable between industries that are not connected. Keeping the toops happy is important, but sometimes the troops just have to stop moaning and get on with it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 20:21 
User

adam.L wrote:
You don't nessasarly need to be able to do or be good at a particular job to be a manager, it is a different skill. It's all about getting men and machines in the right place at the right time and making decisions. A lot of managers will have skills that are transferable between industries that are not connected. Keeping the toops happy is important, but sometimes the troops just have to stop moaning and get on with it.

If troops moan a lot, surely the manager has failed? And yes some managers have skills but Im sorry to say many dont, they just think they have. Good management should be measured by results and standards, I dont call constant cock ups doing something relatively simple by some to be transferable skills :lol: its usually known as the Sack! Redundancy! or some other fancy word created by managers who never use the word Failure! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:55 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Herbie J wrote:
adam.L wrote:

If troops moan a lot, surely the manager has failed? And yes some managers have skills but Im sorry to say many dont, they just think they have. Good management should be measured by results and standards, I dont call constant cock ups doing something relatively simple by some to be transferable skills :lol: its usually known as the Sack! Redundancy! or some other fancy word created by managers who never use the word Failure! :lol:

Depends why the troops are moaning. It could be argued that maybe the troops moan because the instructions and why the desisions have been made haven't been communicated properly. That said, there are plenty of people that if the managment said "here is £1,000,000, go home and drink beer" they would moan about it.