Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:44 
User

(Hopefully without making driving more stressful and not spending lots of money)

1. Make the age for getting a licence for a motorcycle and a car the same.
2. Only allow people under 21 to have cars under 1000cc.
3. Anyone under 21 not permitted to carry passengers under the age 25.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:57 
User

How would restricting young drivers to 1000cc vehicles reduce RTA casualties.
A 1000cc engined car could easily be driven in excess of the NSL.
Don't you realise that most accidents happen at speeds below the limit.
Will a small, underpowered, poorly-accelerating car improve the driver's ability to drive safely ?
Will it help him/her to safely negotiate a junction ?

Besides the above, will there be a restriction of the weight of the car in order to further lower the performance ?
I'm afraid this idea is a non-starter.
Experience does not necessarily improve a driver's skill/safety on the road.
Witness the numpties that drive everywhere at 45mph.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 17:44 

gpmgroup wrote:

Do you mean everyone over 21 has to have a car bigger than 1000cc? :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 19:04 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

gpmgroup wrote:
(Hopefully without making driving more stressful and not spending lots of money)

I thought it was. You are only allowed to ride a low-powered moped at 16.

Quote:

Indeed, can't have 'em burning up the roads in Kas and CityRovers, can we?

Quote:

Not even their own spouse and children?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 23:07 
User

In the interests of promoting actual thought about safety (and most other problems), no proposals should be entertained that involve more restrictive laws than we already have.

When it is already abundantly clear that the most draconian legal solutions have already failed, why on earth propose more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 23:11 
User

gpmgroup wrote:

I think finding myself limited to a 1000cc car after driving for 3 years would be quite stressful, as would being banned from giving my peers a lift. As it is I drive a 1.2 at the moment and even that is underpowered. Cars with engines <= 1000cc tend to be smaller and lighter to compensate, so in the event of an accident you'd probably have less protection.

And how would you enforce this? Have the police stop everyone who looked 'young' and was driving a car with a large engine? So then it would become necessary to carry proof of age at all times.

It seems to me you're very naively attributing all dangers on the road to young drivers. Whilst it's true to say that in general we're at greater risk than older drivers, I don't think it's fair to impose arbitrary limits of this sort - especially without research being undertaken into whether it would actually make the roads safer.

I'm sure you wouldn't have been in favour of a policy like this when you were under 21 (or even under 25).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 23:35 

alanw wrote:
In the interests of promoting actual thought about safety (and most other problems), no proposals should be entertained that involve more restrictive laws than we already have.

When it is already abundantly clear that the most draconian legal solutions have already failed, why on earth propose more?

Amen to that! Lets have more carrots and fewer sticks!

Incentivised training, focussed on improving driver attitudes has to be the most effective way forward.

We've already seen no end of half-baked restrictive schemes targeted at motorcyclists, limiting the machinary that can be ridden and making training (of questionable quality) compulsory. Result: rocketing motorcycling fatalities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 00:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hmm, would something as simple as a restriction on engine size actually do much? I'm sure it would only be a matter of time before ultra lightweight cars with highly tuned 999cc engines appear, and we'd be back where we started. You can already go pretty quick in a Brabus Smart Roadster, and that's got a ickle wickle 700cc 3 pot. Oh, and a turbo. And it weighs about half what a normal car does. See? Okay, probably not that cheap, but you can be sure a few younger drivers would end up in something like it.
Surely it's better to train newer drivers to control normal cars properly. That said, I wouldn't mind a power:weight ratio limit just restrictive enough to stop new drivers with rich parents using a 911 or something. I'm told by my Aussie mates that they have a 3.5 litre per tonne restriction for probationers (less than 3 years on the road), but even then if a family has only one car and it's bigger than that the restriction is waived. Frankly I can't imagine how it's enforced without lots of random stopchecks anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:53 
User

gpmgroup wrote:

Great stuff. Could you please provide us with your evidence to show that this action will indeed "significantly reduce road casualties"?

Naturally you will have this to hand as you would surely not just slap down a few ill-conceived lines of text and wait for the casualties to plummet. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:09 
User

Wow! thanks for all the replies guys :D

One thing I’ve learnt very quickly is I need to be more exact in defining the statements. [Thanks, :wink: Homer especially ]

Quote:
Peter E wrote:
I thought it was. You are only allowed to ride a low-powered moped at 16.

The point is allowing youngsters the freedom of a motorised 2 wheel machine a year before a 4 wheel machine is madness given the fact that they are far more vulnerable. Ask most parents, especially the mothers, they would much rather their offspring save up and wait for a car.

Either the car driving age should be brought down to 16 or the moped / 50cc motorcycle age should be raised to 17.

Quote:
Alanw wrote:

It would not introduce anymore rules! Just manipulate the existing ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:06 
User

I'm glad that you have taken all the (constructive) criticism in good humour.
Your ideas were not dismissed without thought.
Have another think and come back with some more for discussion. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 18:32 

gpmgroup wrote:
The point is allowing youngsters the freedom of a motorised 2 wheel machine a year before a 4 wheel machine is madness given the fact that they are far more vulnerable. Ask most parents, especially the mothers, they would much rather their offspring save up and wait for a car.

Either the car driving age should be brought down to 16 or the moped / 50cc motorcycle age should be raised to 17.

By that logic you wouldn't let a 15yr old cycle or walk either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 21:53 
User

Homer wrote:

Quote:

Wrong :lol: - very wrong :lol: that logic does not follow in anyway.

It is not a restriction of choice or a restriction of actions - it is use of the system to give the safer option equal weight at the time of decision making.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 00:47 
User

A thought regarding kids on mopeds...

Current Government transport policy would appear to be to make driving a car, any car, a fundamentally unpleasant experience. This, coupled with crippling insurance costs for young drivers is almost FORCING them onto two wheels. Let's face it, they wouldn't be seen dead on a bus! Another comment would be that our current credit card and loan culture is allowing / encouraging people to splash out money they can't afford on high(er) performance cars they don't have a clue how to drive. Only a theory, but I know I couldn't afford anything as fast as a Subaru Impreza Turbo when I was 17!

I've been beaten to it, but I'd agree that maybe some sort of power to weight ratio scale could be used in tandem with advanced tests to enable people to gradually improve their driving skills? More carrot, less stick. Stop telling us you know what's best and encourage us to do it for ourselves! Couple that with insurance incentives and maybe we'd see some results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 09:31 
User

gpmgroup wrote
Quote:
It would not introduce anymore rules! Just manipulate the existing ones.

Quibbling and irrelevant. Don't make them more restrictive was what I said. That would force a) research, b) thought. Both are useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 21:12 

gpmgroup wrote:
Homer wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
The point is allowing youngsters the freedom of a motorised 2 wheel machine a year before a 4 wheel machine is madness given the fact that they are far more vulnerable.

Wrong :lol: - very wrong :lol: that logic does not follow in anyway.

The logic follows perfectly.

They are more vulnerable no matter what form of transport they use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:56 
Suspended
Suspended

1, Include the Motorway as part of the test.

2, Prosecute every driver that causes an accident, no matter how minor.

3, Police the roads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 16:17 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

bmwk12 wrote:
1, Include the Motorway as part of the test.

As motorways are, relatively speaking, our safest roads, that would overall make little difference. Also a bit of a bugger if you live in Stornoway.

Quote:
2, Prosecute every driver that causes an accident, no matter how minor.

Yes, that would deter all those people who deliberately set out to cause accidents.

In my view one of the most effective ways of improving safety would be to recognise that punishing people who make mistakes is not the best way of doing it. If we had taken the view that the main cause of air and rail accidents was reckless pilots and train drivers, we would have vastly more air and rail casualties. That is not to say people shouldn't be punished for reckless behaviour - but the deterrent effect is very weak as people do not deliberately cause crashes.

Quote:
3, Police the roads.

Agree on that one.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 01:06 
User

A couple of thoughts on this subject............

Maybe drivers should be subjected to psychometric testing to ensure that they have the correct mental attitute before they are allowed behind the wheel.

Sorry if I sound pessimistic but we will not stop the hardcore of idiots by introducing any legislation as they will always find access to driving either through borrowing, stealing, or buying vehicles and driving untrained and uninsured.

A 1000 cc car is more than capable of killing or maiming if used badly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 04:16 
Site Admin

Ric wrote:
Maybe drivers should be subjected to psychometric testing to ensure that they have the correct mental attitute before they are allowed behind the wheel.

Another fundamental problem with this most sensible idea is that folk could learn to pass the test without changing their true attitudes.